• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

E.C. Fan Addict THREAD
27 27

6,319 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Raze said:

So there are random EC stories in this one? What about the other annuals? Or are they 2 different Entities?

This 1951 Tales of Terror Annual:  Vault of Horror 13 (2)

Crypt of Terror 19 (3)

Weird Science 14 (3)

Haunt of Fear 16 (2)

3 hours ago, Raze said:

So there are random EC stories in this one? What about the other annuals? Or are they 2 different Entities?

My understanding is that all of the annuals were restitching of remainders/returns with a new cover.  You can have 5 copies of Tales of Terror Annual 1 and have 5 different interiors, all most likely from the first few issues of Crypt, Vault, Haunt, etc.

Edited by Randall Dowling
Grammar

On 10/22/2019 at 11:54 AM, KirbyJack said:

Boy, would I love to buy it and find out. It could hammer at 5 figures, tho.

I believe I saw one at NYCC this month.  Might have been this book with a 12K price tag.  Don't remember which dealer had it but I believe he said it came from an original owner collection

5 hours ago, OtherEric said:

A good day at the Jet City Comic show.  We start with a low grade, cover faded, and quite cheap Shock:

Shock_Suspenstories_14.jpg

This issue is one of the best readers in the series, and given that it's an EC, that's sayin' something, lol!

It’s a cool book, but calling it horror may be a stretch. That skeleton is adorable.

Along these lines, I just bought an EC that I think is significant, but isn’t recognized generally. I’ll post it here when I get it, and I’ll hope for the forum’s opinions!

On 10/29/2019 at 2:20 AM, OtherEric said:

An odd question: a listing online claims this is the first EC horror cover.  I was wondering if this was generally agreed, or if it was just a certain dealer trying to double their already high price tag on the book.

As soon as I saw this, I was 99% certain.who the dealer was. Just checked eBay.and I was right.

On 10/29/2019 at 1:20 AM, OtherEric said:

An odd question: a listing online claims this is the first EC horror cover.  I was wondering if this was generally agreed, or if it was just a certain dealer trying to double their already high price tag on the book.

Further research reveals that this is the Sept.-Oct. issue. I suspect a Halloween theme rather than horror.

30 minutes ago, KirbyJack said:

Further research reveals that this is the Sept.-Oct. issue. I suspect a Halloween theme rather than horror.

I think it's quite possible that a Halloween cover could also be a Horror cover.  I think trying to identify the first EC horror cover is actually an interesting discussion, and a Land of the Lost cover is as likely a candidate as any.  I do not require that the creators of the book actually consciously thought "This is horror" to count a cover as horror.

I also think that, if we do pick a Land of the Lost cover as the first EC horror cover, 6 or (less certainly) 5 are probably better candidates for the honor.  Scans from GCD, if anybody has better ones I would love to see them:

Lotl5.jpg

Lotl6.jpg