• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

E.C. Fan Addict THREAD
27 27

6,319 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

The paperback thread got me sifting through some of my boxes of pb’s. 

Among other stuff, I found the first 5 MAD paperbacks. All tough 1st editions. I could be wrong but could The MAD Reader pre-date MAD #30 as the first Alfred cover in 1955? Then there is also MAD #21 that has a small picture of his face. Too lazy to look ‘em up right now. 

Also some 1964 and 1965 reprint books which I devoured before I could find many actual ECs as a kid. I’ve got the other ones as well probably in another box. The 1972 Tales from the Crypt is pretty scarce. 

08AB2549-0531-4603-AE45-98B610C6C005.jpeg

58CC48F6-1D9A-4E2A-AA66-18F2711E6473.jpeg

B9EB8818-58EF-46EB-B085-6C45717F9819.jpeg

The Mad Reader predates Mad #21 and is the first use of the goof (not yet named) by MAD, if I recall correctly.  The character actually goes back to around the turn of the century in various forms.

18 hours ago, mlansdown said:

Not much mayhem on the cover of my latest EC acquisition, but I worship at the altar of capitalism, and this cover always makes me smile.

Impact 3 CGC 9.2 Gaines.jpg

Yeah, I agree. And Davis is the perfect artist for it. I've got to pull out my copy and take a look at it.

31 minutes ago, KirbyJack said:

If those paperbacks are in order, I think I have 1 and 4. I’ll have to check if they’re first prints. That would be cool; didn’t know it was Alfie’s first Mad!

Yes, in order from #1-5 left to right. MAD #30 is known as the first Alfred cover but #21 has a small pre-Mad picture of him that pre-dates #30. I was guessing on the pb but guess my guess was right. I have about the first 20 MAD pbs. all first prints and variations. I got bored and quit after that.

2 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Yeah, I agree. And Davis is the perfect artist for it. I've got to pull out my copy and take a look at it.

The story it goes with is charming... and a telling example of just how hurt by the code the EC's were, if that's what they were forced to present as a twist ending.

On 12/12/2019 at 2:35 PM, KirbyJack said:

If those paperbacks are in order, I think I have 1 and 4. I’ll have to check if they’re first prints. That would be cool; didn’t know it was Alfie’s first Mad!

6th print. 1955.  :( Oh, well.

Nice book, Eric!  :bigsmile:

7 hours ago, OtherEric said:

Today's book.  I actually owned a copy of this one years ago, but it got sold in the "I need to pay rent" crisis about 15 years ago incident.  And unlike the other EC's I sold then, which have all either been replaced or are not terribly hard issues to get when I finally decide to pull the trigger, this one seems to be picking up a bit of heat recently for the cover.  So very glad to replace it now.

I'm much less of a fan of the EC Horror and Crime than I am of the War/ Humor/ SF books; but I love Shock Suspenstories.  And it's not because the first 11 or so issues had a SF story in them, that's normally the weakest story in the issue in most cases.

Shock_Suspenstories_08.jpg

Great book! Got a lot of groans when I grabbed a nice copy off the boards. In addition to the brutal Feldstein cover, there is also a nice Williamson story. Rare for this title. Congrats!

6 hours ago, Silver said:

I Just started collecting EC’s in 2019, I think I got about eight of them. I really hope to get a lot more in 2020!

I'm torn between welcoming you to the fold and wishing you good luck, and going "Aargh!  More competition for the books!" :nyah:

Let's go with the welcome.  I think my big goal for 2020 will be finishing the run of the comic book issues of MAD, but there's a lot of other EC's I hope to make progress on as well.

On 12/8/2019 at 3:42 PM, Mmehdy said:

I see profiles in history is selling the original art and table of contents page to the classic 1950's Harvey horror  story "Colorama" and its just $400 at this point. They have. TON  of EC original stories, I like "I Rocket", "Bellyful" etc which are gonna be sold this coming week.

"

Even though they had the wrong artist attributed - it was Bob Powell not Howard Nostrand, and even though they listed the wrong issue in which it first appeared - it was first published in Black Cat Mystery #45 and reprinted in Black Cat Mystic #61 (with alterations for the Comics Code), it ended up selling for $11,000 (plus 3,080 buyers premium).

Edited by BOOT

Anybody see the recent Bonham’s auction of Jerry Garcia’s ECs? Full run of Frontline Combat, Two Fisted Tales and Aces High brought $4,450 for 44 books. Word has it he bought a full run of ECs from Gary Arlington with his first royalty check. 

My friend told me after the fact. He was at the auction and said there was a lot more of his stuff and the ECs were pretty much ignored. Wish I was there.

Edited by Robot Man