• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

E.C. Fan Addict THREAD
27 27

6,319 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, KirbyJack said:

Better get on it, Raze. I'm just 6 hours from stealing this beauty from you!

Next time I get an EC undercopy I want to just give away, you'll get the first shot and @Raze will be the one who waits.  Just don't hold your breath waiting for that to happen...

So, I've made a couple purchases I probably wouldn't have with ECCC so near due to the extreme uncertainty over what's going to happen to ECCC.  I might have grabbed this pair anyway, they were a good deal... and while there are still a lot of EC's for me to get in the $50-100 range, I'm almost done with books I can find in the $25 range. 7 Two-Fisted Tales to go.

Two_Fisted_Tales_20.jpg

Two_Fisted_Tales_34.jpg

2 hours ago, OtherEric said:

So, I've made a couple purchases I probably wouldn't have with ECCC so near due to the extreme uncertainty over what's going to happen to ECCC.  I might have grabbed this pair anyway, they were a good deal... and while there are still a lot of EC's for me to get in the $50-100 range, I'm almost done with books I can find in the $25 range. 7 Two-Fisted Tales to go.

Two_Fisted_Tales_20.jpg

Two_Fisted_Tales_34.jpg

Both good books for the right price. You gotta buy them when you see them. 

I remember many years ago I was offered a copy of the LB Cole classic Suspense #8 for a very fair price about a week before SDCC. It was a chunk of change at the time for me. Would have dipped into my budget a bit at the time. But I wanted it bad and bit the bullet. Turned out it was better than anything I found at the con. Never regretted it...

26 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Both good books for the right price. You gotta buy them when you see them. 

I remember many years ago I was offered a copy of the LB Cole classic Suspense #8 for a very fair price about a week before SDCC. It was a chunk of change at the time for me. Would have dipped into my budget a bit at the time. But I wanted it bad and bit the bullet. Turned out it was better than anything I found at the con. Never regretted it...

Once, maybe 30 years ago, I was all set to drive down to Kansas City for a con. I had $250, and frankly did not like my chances of finding my target book: Amazing Spider-Man #1. It was Saturday evening after work, and the plan was to leave very early Sunday morning.

Mostly out of habit, I went to my comic shop before they closed. To my utter amazement, they had a ragged Spidey 1 for $250! I bought it, and got to celebrate late into the night. No point in going to a comic show with no money in your pocket!

46 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

For a guy that doesn’t collect them all, you sure got most of the better ones Brian!

And, you know how much I love the MADs. I NEVER get tired of seeing those covers!

All but 4 of those were bought in the 60s and 70s.  I love the Mads too.  I started buying those when I was 10 years old, and had #1 thru 150 by 1970.

Edited by Tri-ColorBrian

So, expert opinion time.  With ECCC cancelled, I'm considering spending part of my budget on a big EC, specifically a Shock #6.  There's a 1.8 on the bay that would cost me roughly $600 with shipping and tax.  I'm trying to decide if that's a reasonable price or not, it seems slightly high but not totally out of line. (It's the tax and shipping that adds so much for me that makes it an issue.)  I was wondering if people thought that was reasonable or if I should poke around more... or if possibly they knew of a better copy or better place to look.  I do know the book isn't going to get any easier with time, and it's definitely the biggest obstacle for me putting together the EC runs I actually want at this point.

Thoughts?

1 minute ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

Are you kidding me?  $600 for a 1.8?  What does that make mine worth?  Looks like the price of this book has gone insane...

16365462840_b502394e60_c.jpg

If you can't get a Suspense 3 this is the best next book imho 

3 hours ago, OtherEric said:

So, expert opinion time.  With ECCC cancelled, I'm considering spending part of my budget on a big EC, specifically a Shock #6.  There's a 1.8 on the bay that would cost me roughly $600 with shipping and tax.  I'm trying to decide if that's a reasonable price or not, it seems slightly high but not totally out of line. (It's the tax and shipping that adds so much for me that makes it an issue.)  I was wondering if people thought that was reasonable or if I should poke around more... or if possibly they knew of a better copy or better place to look.  I do know the book isn't going to get any easier with time, and it's definitely the biggest obstacle for me putting together the EC runs I actually want at this point.

Thoughts?

Shock 6 is one of those rising EC’s, along with Vault 35, but $600 for a 1.8? No... I’d definitely hold out for a better deal on a better copy.

48 minutes ago, sacentaur said:

Shock 6 is one of those rising EC’s, along with Vault 35, but $600 for a 1.8? No... I’d definitely hold out for a better deal on a better copy.

Such is still my inclination... but I haven't had any luck in the last couple auctions, and a .5 slab broke over $325 (it's hard to tell because the bay won't say exactly what the best offer was, but the next cheapest sale was over that.)