• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

E.C. Fan Addict THREAD
27 27

6,319 posts in this topic

18 hours ago, OtherEric said:

I've wondered that myself.  Ingels is amazing- his art is far and away the best thing about MD; which is easily my least favorite new trend/ new direction book.  His covers for Haunt are amazing.

Going to the what are your favorite EC's discussion we've been having, I don't necessarily have a hard list from least to most favorite within what I'm actually trying to collect.  I will note that my preference on the SF books isn't WS over WF or vice versa, it's later books versus early.  I think the writing improved notably once they officially started adapting Bradbury- it made everybody up their game.  And I love Williamson and the rest of the Fleagles.  So I'll take later SF books over early and it shows in my collection.

I'll also defend Panic vastly better than its reputation- it just suffers from the comparison with MAD and a lot of interchangeable covers.  There's a lot of great, funny work in there.

I'll also say Psychoanalysis is in my top 3 new direction books, after Piracy and Aces High.  I maintain it was amazingly well done and before it's time.  Other than the fact it was a self evidently terrible idea, it's great.

I would agree that the sci fi books got much better with age. Stories and art vastly improved. I am more of a horror guy I guess. I probably have a dozen boxes of just non-EC PCH as opposed to 3/4ths of a box of sci-fi. Just personal taste.

As far as Panic goes. I have a full set because they are ECs and by nature I am a completest. But other than a few standouts, the covers really suk. The interiors are a lot of real obscure (by today's standards, TV shows and movies). Always seemed to me that they saw the success of MAD and wanted a spin off title to cash in. Doesn't look like their hearts were into it. Again, just personal taste...

Hello fellow EC collectors!! It been awhile but I was saving for C2E2. Some of you have seen my thread in comics general.

But before I show what I bought in that thread my fellow EC guys get to see the EC books first is here we go!!!

Panic 8 this was part of a 2 book deal and is an extra till I find out if this is better than my other copy.

So if this is one you need let me know and maybe we can trade?!

Scan 2020-3-2 21.17.08.jpg

Next up Mad 21!

Ive been wanting one since I herd it was the first app of Alfred E. Newman on Mad. I don't know if its true but I got one!

Im also debating on taking out the extra staple. What do you guys think I should do keep it or take it out? Both regular staple are attached.

Also this book was purchased from Torpedo Comics. They bought a collection that this book came from and added this little card about the collection. It is not a Pedigree but it was a big collection with a lot of notes on the books. I thought it was pretty neat so Im sharing the back as well.

Scan 2020-3-2 21.13.37.jpg

Scan 2020-3-2 21.14.20.jpg

Now for my big book! I had a hard time with this decision! I had a few options.

1. get up to 3 ECs.         2. get two ECs and pay a little out of pocket         3. get 1 EC but its a great one! But even with this option it was a hard choice! It was down to TFTC 39 or 45! Ive herd 45v has a great story but the cover of 39 is great so.......

Tales from the Crypt 39!!

Thanks to the great and power @Dale Roberts for this Awesome book!

Scan 2020-3-2 21.07.57.jpg

On 3/1/2020 at 12:00 PM, Robot Man said:

I would agree that the sci fi books got much better with age. Stories and art vastly improved. I am more of a horror guy I guess. I probably have a dozen boxes of just non-EC PCH as opposed to 3/4ths of a box of sci-fi. Just personal taste.

As far as Panic goes. I have a full set because they are ECs and by nature I am a completest. But other than a few standouts, the covers really suk. The interiors are a lot of real obscure (by today's standards, TV shows and movies). Always seemed to me that they saw the success of MAD and wanted a spin off title to cash in. Doesn't look like their hearts were into it. Again, just personal taste...

I actually like EC's early Sci Fi stuff; they had a distinctive style to them.  I agree of course that their later fare was more sophisticated.

I think AFA Mad & Panic, they were trying to duplicate what they did with their original two Sci Fi and three horror titles; multi books featuring the same types of stories, written and illustrated by the same writers and artists.

30 minutes ago, Raze said:

Next up Mad 21!

Ive been wanting one since I herd it was the first app of Alfred E. Newman on Mad. I don't know if its true but I got one!

Im also debating on taking out the extra staple. What do you guys think I should do keep it or take it out? Both regular staple are attached.

Also this book was purchased from Torpedo Comics. They bought a collection that this book came from and added this little card about the collection. It is not a Pedigree but it was a big collection with a lot of notes on the books. I thought it was pretty neat so Im sharing the back as well.

Scan 2020-3-2 21.13.37.jpg

Scan 2020-3-2 21.14.20.jpg

Great EC grabs Raze! Always fun to get a few st one time. I think the MAD reader predates MAD #21 by just a few months. Cool story with this collection. 

For reference, here's the undercopy.  Cover is, in addition to the fading, split and brittle.  Centerfold is missing.  If anybody in this thread has any use whatsoever for it, be it filler, parts, art project, whatever it may be other than throwing it in the trash, it's yours free.  If you're in the US I'll even pay postage, because I can't face the thought of just dumping it.  If you want it as a reader, specify that and I'll scan and send you images of the centerfold pages to print out and drop in as well.  @Raze , you have a 12 hour head start in honor of our ongoing "lowest grade EC collection" friendly rivalry in this thread.  After that, first I'll take it gets it.

Shock_Suspenstories_14_under.jpg

8 hours ago, OtherEric said:

For reference, here's the undercopy.  Cover is, in addition to the fading, split and brittle.  Centerfold is missing.  If anybody in this thread has any use whatsoever for it, be it filler, parts, art project, whatever it may be other than throwing it in the trash, it's yours free.  If you're in the US I'll even pay postage, because I can't face the thought of just dumping it.  If you want it as a reader, specify that and I'll scan and send you images of the centerfold pages to print out and drop in as well.  @Raze , you have a 12 hour head start in honor of our ongoing "lowest grade EC collection" friendly rivalry in this thread.  After that, first I'll take it gets it.

Shock_Suspenstories_14_under.jpg

:takeit: I didnt read this before my last comment.

Edited by Raze