• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

E.C. Fan Addict THREAD
26 26

6,516 posts in this topic

Epitaphs from the Abyss 2 arrived Wednesday on new comic book day.  Just bought the painted clown cover issue.  Stories were fairly well written, but I was generally disappointed with the interior artwork.  Tough to follow the legendary work of Feldstein, Ingels, Davis, and Craig.

IMG_4399.thumb.jpeg.90b029dd3d653718c3c7828254bbf5ee.jpegIMG_4400.thumb.webp.5c20bc96f793b62eb16e5035725f8729.webpIMG_4401.thumb.webp.b9677c4ae061632e8228b707a8b5c089.webp

On 8/23/2024 at 3:43 PM, Mmehdy said:

Roger Hill auction of EC comics less than two hours away!!! On Ha.com for tales of terror ANN #1

Almost everything I wanted went for way higher than I had hoped.  Some went for really high prices.  I don't know if it was the Roger Hill effect or people are nutty on EC/Golden Age.  :D

On 8/23/2024 at 2:08 PM, OtherEric said:

I thought the second issue of Epitaphs was slightly better than #1, but not nearly as good as Cruel Universe #1.  Still love the tribute covers:

Epitaphs 2.jpg

Got this one today. Haven’t read it yet so the jury is still out. I’m only buying the EC tribute covers. My LCS sells it at cover price to me. He mentioned this title did OK but the Cruel Universe was a slow seller in his store. He’s not sure if he will be ordering enough copies (10) of each to get the variant in the future…:sorry:

On 8/23/2024 at 8:18 PM, Telegan said:

Almost everything I wanted went for way higher than I had hoped.  Some went for really high prices.  I don't know if it was the Roger Hill effect or people are nutty on EC/Golden Age.  :D

I was able to pick up a CSS yesterday but my TFTC bids got destroyed tonight. Signature and specialty auctions are always crazy competitive.

I had the chance (and still do) to buy a Tales of terror annual 3 for $300. The grade is .5 because of the lower right corner is missing.

It has Hof 13, TftC 45, SSS 5 and VoH 27.

I own all of these books and Im on the fence about buying it just for the cover.

Any thoughts?

Edited by Raze
Tales not Crypt

On 8/24/2024 at 2:04 PM, Raze said:

I had the chance (and still do) to buy a Crypt of terror annual 3 for $300. The grade is .5 because of the lower right corner is missing.

It has Hof 13, TftC 45, SSS 5 and VoH 27.

I own all of these books and Im on the fence about buying it just for the cover.

Any thoughts?

Depends on how much of the corner is missing.  But given the demand for the annuals in general I would probably jump on it.  Then again, the only issue I've got of the 4 is the Shock 5

First let me say Hi! since I haven't posted in this thread in awhile and also sorry for not sharing my new EC books with everyone here. 

@OtherEric its missing the lower right corner where it says "16 of ECs best yarns from 1952" Unfortunately I didnt take pics which I should have. I was also shown 7 HoF books but I had them all but 2 so I bought issue 8 which was a 1.5 res and passed on issue 7 which I need.

@Robot Man You bring up a good point about the reprints. I was having trouble with paying $300 for a cover (a cover I like) for books that I own. I also know that in 5,10,15 years it would be a nice investment.

I used to have a TOT annual 3, but I gave it to SkyPinkBlue in the gift exchange. 
Now that I’m thinking about it, I might have chosen it for her because a previous owner had taken a pair of pinking shears to the cover! 

On 8/24/2024 at 2:32 PM, Professor K said:

Big book, big money. Could this be grade for grade the most valuable pre code horror book (depending on your definition)? Or at least of the 1950's (even though it came out in late 1949)? I can't think of any 6.0 that would go higher at this time. 

Opera Snapshot_2024-08-24_172841_comics.ha.com.png

That price is an outlier, not a trend. I’d wager the next copy sold will not do nearly this well.