• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

E.C. Fan Addict THREAD
26 26

6,516 posts in this topic

Wow, that Crime Patrol 15 really blew the socks off TOT annual 1. Obviously it was the grade. Both were Roger Hill books but I was a little suprised. I still believe the TOT 1 is a bit more rare than the CP 15 but that is a tough one as well. Sadly, the ship has pretty much sailed for collectors of more “modest” means.

In the past few years I had my chance at a CP 15 but was too slow on the draw twice. Might end up being that one big hole in my EC collection…:sorry:

On 8/25/2024 at 9:42 AM, Robot Man said:

Wow, that Crime Patrol 15 really blew the socks off TOT annual 1. Obviously it was the grade. Both were Roger Hill books but I was a little suprised. I still believe the TOT 1 is a bit more rare than the CP 15 but that is a tough one as well. Sadly, the ship has pretty much sailed for collectors of more “modest” means.

In the past few years I had my chance at a CP 15 but was too slow on the draw twice. Might end up being that one big hole in my EC collection…:sorry:

I think it was the type of restoration that the TOT 1 had. Cover reglossing is a PLOD kiss of death.

On 8/25/2024 at 10:45 AM, IngelsFan said:

I think it was the type of restoration that the TOT 1 had. Cover reglossing is a PLOD kiss of death.

Yeah, probably.But I would have thought that there would be enough EC collectors on a budget to snap it up a bit higher. I can't imagine one going any less in the future PLOD or not. 

Sometimes (at least to me) rarity and price trump condition. 

Edited by Robot Man

On 8/25/2024 at 9:42 AM, Robot Man said:

A Tales Of Terror Annual #1 CGC 6.0 Universal would “blow the socks” 🧨💣off a Crime Patrol #15 CGC 6.0 Universal!!!

On 8/25/2024 at 12:27 PM, KirbyJack said:

I want a TOT annual 1 that contains Crime Patrol 15 & 16; and War Against Crime 10 & 11. 
…and I’m not buying one until I find it!

Who knows, it could almost be possible. I've got the first issues of TFTC, VOH,  COT and the second issue of  WS in mine. About as close as I can ever expect to get. 

On 8/25/2024 at 12:49 PM, C. Spaulding said:

Speaking of EC rarities, this is on eBay now. If it could actually be tied back to Russ it would be a pretty neat piece to own. $8k starting bid price.

IMG_1060.thumb.jpeg.b2e6829888e6798f19ee35152b864ada.jpeg

It is indeed an authentic Russ Cochran personal file copy. Story is he obtained the books from another famous collector that @sfcityduck has researched extensively. But I cannot determine the validity of this. Read the seller's description. This is a mind blowing volume and one of a kind. A piece of comic history. Well worth the opening bid and maybe even the "buy it now" price in my opinion. I don't know why the seller didn't consign it to HA. If I were a deep pocketed one percenter, I'd be all over it...

Edited by Robot Man

Russ Cochran verified the set was NM/M when he bought it (which is why it is great Gaines had all his file copies because Russ then proceeded to bind them).

And everything we know about Dave Wigransky strongly suggests they would have been. Both the photo evidence of Dave and his collection from 1948:

1243995088_Wigranskypic.thumb.png.5eb61ab8d857a653d80e005debbab527.png

And what he had to say about how he stored his comics in a 1946 article in which he was dubbed as a "comic expert" despite being 13 years old then:

1710776157246blob.thumb.jpg.a70f6bb30e1f80429bd15b2427ef2c3e.jpg

The article's key quote from the article is: "Passing a chest of drawers on the landing, he said: 'I can't show you those. There I'm collecting a complete set of the Fawcett publications in good condition. I never let anyone else handle them, and I seldom handle them myself.z'" By "good" he means colloquially "really nice" condition.

Wigranskyblowup1945.png.44e8faca7095a3909b50fe1c5773bfb9.png

You can read more here:

Edited by sfcityduck

On 8/27/2024 at 10:27 AM, Robot Man said:

just one of those unpopular post code ones.

:cloud9:

On 9/4/2024 at 8:13 AM, KirbyJack said:

:applause:

Did Marie Severin color that cover, or did Wally do it himself? I think it's the best color work I've seen on a comic.

It looks like her work.  I don't recall anyone besides Marie coloring once she took on the responsibility.