• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hey Guys/Gals.....

57 posts in this topic

http://www.designntrend.com/articles/22217/20141020/comic-book-men-recap-damn-dirty-apes-stash-walt.htm

I assume it is this...

Finally, a customer brings in an original 1978 edition of Stan Lee's "Marvel's Greatest Superhero Battles," signed by Lee, John Romita and legendary artist Jack Kirby. He asks for $750. Walt counters with $300. The seller asks for $600. Walt goes up to $350. The customer's final price is $450, which Walt turns down.

The seller shakes hands and walks out, and Mike and Walt are left to lick their wounds.

re: The DKR set at the beginning..

Walt Flanagan...I've dealt with that guy before...

hm

Couple of notes on that episode:

That DKR #1 is NOT a first print. It is a second or third. How can I possibly know that?

Because there's a hinge "crease" in the book. The first prints are solid, from the joint (where the spine meets the cover) out, with no hinge crease.

The seconds and thirds all had hinge creases, and so does the book in the video, unless I'm blind.

Also...$60 for a first print set, unless they're trashed, is a very cheap price these days...unless #1 is a later printing.

Here's the first print:

DarkKnightReturns1.jpg

(not mine)

Notice...no crease to the right of the spine.

Here's the second/third:

331hoc5.jpg

See the hinge?

Now, that girl probably wouldn't have minded...but she at least had the right to NOT be told they were "all first prints" when #1 was clearly not.

darkknightlaterprint.jpg

(as always. my thanks to Blowie for teaching me how to do this. :cloud9: )

Hey, Mkkiller...I think you did the right thing. $350 for those sigs on any book is low.

I would have turned it down, too.

Especially for the Kirby.

Yes, it's not authenticated, but...at this point, it's not worth the trouble...for the most part...to forge sigs, so you're still at about 99.9% authentic, and now you've got the episode for proof that it had already been signed as of 2014.

Good call. I'd throw it up on eBay for $1,000 and take offers. Kirby...it's getting harder and harder to find. Plus, now you've got TV notoriety for it.