• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

There are over 1400 9.8 New Mutants 98

100 posts in this topic

I personally have no interest in anything Marvel printed in the 90's. They were in MORE for the money than delivering quality stories.

As opposed to when?

The 80's X-men run by Claremont and Daredevil run by Miller is up there - I don't recall seeing 5 variant covers, embossed, poly bagged issues during that time.

Not really a fair argument, since those things weren't around during the Claremont/Miller era you referenced.

It is fair to say that there's not much "great" reading in and among those holo foil, poly bagged books... Some loved Valiant in that era and they had some of that stuff. Robinson's Starman was able to avoid the mess ... But the 90s were style over substance, and art over writing.

Its a popular book. While the amount of copies are scary, I see it holding its value at least until the movie. Its long term value is a bit fragile, but If Marvel can keep it going like Wolverine its hard to say where the train ends.

Personally I think the money would be better spent with Golden Age Bats/Detective or Sups/Action, WW, Cap etc. But all that really matters is that you enjoy it. It makes the hobby much more fun that way.

I personally have no interest in anything Marvel printed in the 90's. They were in MORE for the money than delivering quality stories.

As opposed to when?

The 80's X-men run by Claremont and Daredevil run by Miller is up there - I don't recall seeing 5 variant covers, embossed, poly bagged issues during that time.

Not really a fair argument, since those things weren't around during the Claremont/Miller era you referenced.

It is fair to say that there's not much "great" reading in and among those holo foil, poly bagged books... Some loved Valiant in that era and they had some of that stuff. Robinson's Starman was able to avoid the mess ... But the 90s were style over substance, and art over writing.

Big reason why holo foil, poly bags, etc were not present in the 80's is because people were buying books because of what's IN it. Imagine if the likes of Claremont and Miller were not there during that era, Marvel will find a way to get some of the cheesy 90's gimicks to the 80's.

I've never owned a single copy of the book. I eventually want to though. Every time I plan to pick a copy up, something else comes along. I think Deadpool is one of the few marketable and interesting characters developed during the time period.

NM 98 is one of the best investment books out there (I'm sure many will disagree). Deadpool has become an incredibly popular character, and there is still a remarkable amount of room for said popularity to increase. 10 years from now, you'll be wishing that you picked up a 9.8 for $400. 2c

He's popular, but there are 1400 9.8s, and who knows how many more raw copies waiting to be pressed into 9.8s. You'll need thousands of people willing to spend more than $400 for a 9.8 - which by the way looks identical to a 9.4 or 9.6 - if this book is going to see a significant increase.

I talked to a guy who owned a large store in the US. He said that Deadpool carries his entire store. The character is insanely popular right now. Maybe not so much the Vintage crowd. but very much so to the younger crowd.

As opposed to when?

There has never been a time in the history of the company when a good product was more important than a punctual product. At least not in continuity.

You don't need to spend $400; just don't buy a 9.8.

I was going to say this also.

If you're really against the price, just get a 9.6.... 1 extra NCB spine tick for half the cost. Worth it to me (thumbs u

I have a 9.6 but I want a 9.8 too.

According to the census. I guess I am the only person without one, and I just don't get it, Deadpool has always came across to me as a combination of Wolverine, The Punisher and Spider-Man Deathstroke

Fixed that for ya

I agree with that perfectly. I just never read much Deathstroke, It's just that Deadpool has Wovie's healing ability, Punisher's guns and Spidey's mouth. Most of the books of his that come out are as bad a Doop, IMO, not much story, just humor, and if you like that, then go at it.

As opposed to when?

There has never been a time in the history of the company when a good product was more important than a punctual product. At least not in continuity.

Quality of writing trumps style back in the day. Readers were more into substance.

As I've said earlier, "they were in MORE for the money" during the 90's. Marvel tried making money by pandering to insufficiently_thoughtful_persons.

Every company's goal is to keep shareholders happy. Everybody knows this.

They were making money without the cheesy gimmicks - they just got greedier in the 90's because the market allowed it (speculators).

As opposed to when?

Quality of writing trumps style back in the day. Readers were more into substance.

As I've said earlier, "they were in MORE for the money" during the 90's. Marvel tried making money by pandering to insufficiently_thoughtful_persons.

They were making money without the cheesy gimmicks - they just got greedier in the 90's because the market allowed it (speculators).

I could be wrong, but wasn't it DC who started the 90's debacle. With 5 different covers for Robin 1, that was followed by Marvel and bagging X-Force 1 with 5 different cards, then X-Men 1 had 5 covers, then foil covers, then Bloodshot 1 had Chromium and Marvel went nuts with Chromium, and so on and so forth, and somehow we ended up with X-Statix, and Doop. Wow, I just had a horrible flashback. :insane:

As opposed to when?

I could be wrong, but wasn't it DC who started the 90's debacle. With 5 different covers for Robin 1, that was followed by Marvel and bagging X-Force 1 with 5 different cards, then X-Men 1 had 5 covers, then foil covers, then Bloodshot 1 had Chromium and Marvel went nuts with Chromium, and so on and so forth, and somehow we ended up with X-Statix, and Doop. Wow, I just had a horrible flashback. :insane:

Doop is amusing

As opposed to when?

Doop is amusing

agreed, and X-statix is an interesting read as a criticism of current pop culture both inside and outside of comics...

X-force 1 and X-men 1 both came out before Robin 1. Bloodshot 1 came out shortly after Robin 1.

Chip is right though, it was Silver Surfer 50 that kicked off the gimmick cover craze and the speculation on that book was the beginning of that whole, sad time period.

Also, I agree with you- 1400 New Mutants 98 in 9.8 and the price is $400 doesn't even begin to make sense. And there are many, many more out there just waiting to be pressed into additional 9.8 slabs.

Yep SS #50 kicked off the cover craze. At the time it was amazing and much different than anything anyone had seen before.

I worked in a comic store at the time, Liefeld was at he height of his popularity and while not loved by all - wasn't hated by a large portion of the industry. Most people that were collecting at the time bought at least one each of his New Mutants run (remember it WAS the speculation era). Our shop was ordering 100's of those titles.

Who knows how many are still in collections of people that stopped collecting or in the back rooms of comic shops - but I'm guessing a lot.

PS - I think it was actually 'Legends of the Dark Knight' that was one of the first 'variant' covers... remember the 4 colored inserts over the cover?

The guy I worked for was amazed that people were buying 1 of each cover, even though they were all the same underneath.

Kinda a lame start but it kicked off all the variants (IMHO)