• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

General Etiquette on Making Offers

89 posts in this topic

Kav... do what you gotta do, but I'm telling you that MIGHT be too much buttock for the upper crust to handle ;)

xxx ooo

Rupp

Yeah good advice bro

A bit too crusty

Part 1: $3000 is a completely reasonable offer, and if the seller gets offended.....they don't deserve your money

2c

<-- this ... most sellers at cons anyways over price stuff just cause they know people are going to want a bargin on something plus even if he does not take the $3000 he could over back to you $3500 so be ready to pay more than your offer just incase you get a counter offer

Wow, after this sentence maybe it is a good thing I have guillain-barre syndrome so I can't do shows.

I wonder if shillers ever lowball offer to themselves just for kicks

I'll make an offer.

I think the key to making an offer is do provide a reason why you chose that price. Don't just throw a number out there, tell the seller why you are offering to pay that amount. Give them some data to back up your offer like recent sales on ebay or GPA pricing (I usually never give out the GPA value, I will say it is "around" or "in line" with their pricing.)

If the seller is selling the item above what it's current worth is, I will point this out with any of the above data. If they come down, great. If they don't, I walk away.

Yes, a seller can sell the item for whatever they want to sell it for, it's their item. But that item is not worth anything until someone actually buys it.

Yep:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SPIDER-MAN-ORIGINAL-ART-VINNY-ROMITA-SIGNED-BY-JOHN-ROMITA-SR-JR-STAN-LEE-/370691265517?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item564eebd3ed

Cool as hell though

I know this is a tricky question, but when you're interested in a book but the asking price is both much higher than what you want to pay and much higher than other sales for the same book/grade, when do you make an offer and how much below the asking price are you comfortable going?

I'll never criticize anyone for asking whatever they want to for a book - it's their property and they can sell it on their own terms. But if someone is asking, say, $4000 for a book that consistently (and very recently) sells at $3000, do you offer $3000 or are you concerned that you're going to offend the seller by coming in so much lower than his ask? Do you start instead by asking "Do you have any room to come down from that?"

Where do you draw the line on simply passing completely? Say someone has a non-key bronze age book in a high grade slab. You'd be comfortable offering $200. They're asking $800, a price that's way out of line with the raw price (say it's $125), but perhaps they're trying to justify it by saying it's the only slabbed copy in that grade (which is probably because nobody else thinks the book is worth slabbing). Do you even bother to make an offer or just pass on it altogether?

My view is who cares if you offend the seller. We buy and sell books without a defined price. I offer what I'm willing to pay and if the seller accepts, great, if not, oh well. If a seller gets angry over an offer that's his problem not yours. I never get offended by offers. I always want people to make offers and then we can go from there.

Regarding your 2nd question about when a seller has a book at 800 when its worth 125; I would still offer what I am willing to pay. There's no harm is trying.

I'll make an offer.

I think the key to making an offer is do provide a reason why you chose that price. Don't just throw a number out there, tell the seller why you are offering to pay that amount. Give them some data to back up your offer like recent sales on ebay or GPA pricing (I usually never give out the GPA value, I will say it is "around" or "in line" with their pricing.)

If the seller is selling the item above what it's current worth is, I will point this out with any of the above data. If they come down, great. If they don't, I walk away.

Yes, a seller can sell the item for whatever they want to sell it for, it's their item. But that item is not worth anything until someone actually buys it.

Yep:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SPIDER-MAN-ORIGINAL-ART-VINNY-ROMITA-SIGNED-BY-JOHN-ROMITA-SR-JR-STAN-LEE-/370691265517?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item564eebd3ed

That is spoonin' hilarious! Perfect example of that sentence Kav!

:golfclap:

And they charge an additional $12 shipping... :insane::tonofbricks::censored:

In most all cases if a book is at market or super-nice issue priced at new market high I will hit the BIN and maybe ask for modest discount if I pay by chk or MO in lieu of PP...but am happy to pay full price if seller doesn't accept modest discount if it's a book I really want.

If grossly overpriced I may offer a market offer figuring the buyer has a price up based on "well if someone is stupid enough to pay "x" I guess I'll have to sell it at that price... More than likely said offer/sale will not come forth and even if they have declined your offer they may come back to you with the "if you're still interested book is still for sale and I'd be willing to accept your offer/or slight bump counteroffer...

2c

IDK what that really is.

-slym

youtube

IDK what that is.

-slym

Google 'youtube'

I always pay immediately and have never left a neg. I asked him where he acquired the piece. Yep he was real smart to block me. You blow your top easy-can I get YOUR ebay ID?
My ebay ID is in my sig. It's always been there. I've nothing to hide.

So I'll ask again......... What is your ebay ID?

I wanted yours cause you threw an insult at me out of the blue which is someone I like to avoid on ebay. First tell me what I did to make you ask for it in the first place pertaining to this thread.

Maybe he'll offer you a lame apology via PM about how he's just trying to "fit in".

I always pay immediately and have never left a neg. I asked him where he acquired the piece. Yep he was real smart to block me. You blow your top easy-can I get YOUR ebay ID?
My ebay ID is in my sig. It's always been there. I've nothing to hide.

So I'll ask again......... What is your ebay ID?

I wanted yours cause you threw an insult at me out of the blue which is someone I like to avoid on ebay. First tell me what I did to make you ask for it in the first place pertaining to this thread.

Maybe he'll offer you a lame apology via PM about how he's just trying to "fit in".

heehee

IDK what that really is.

youtube

IDK what that is.

Google

IDK what that is.

-slym

Ask Jeeves

Dang these threads always become about me. I'm like the Miley Cyrus of this joint.

You could avoid that by not posting in all of them.

BAZINGA!

Well played sir

IDK what that really is.

youtube

IDK what that is.

Google

IDK what that is.

Ask Jeeves

IDK him.

-slym

He knows you. Expect a call.

IDK what that really is.

youtube

IDK what that is.

Google

IDK what that is.

Ask Jeeves

IDK him.

He knows you. Expect a call.

IDC. He can't know me if I don't know him.

Also, I don't have a phone.

-slym

Usually he sends someone a phone, then calls them on it.