• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

how to tell the difference between jim 83 and jim 83 grr?

33 posts in this topic

why are you interested?

yes I am if it's the real deal then yes I'm interested!

you misunderstood. I was asking why do you want this?

because Thor is one of my favorite comics!

There's a Q&A at the bottom of the listing where someone has told the seller that it's a reprint because the opening page has no indicia.

They failed to notice that the opening page is the start of part 3, and would have no indicia. Pretty confident it's an original but I'm only going off the fact that my ASM #1 GRR doesn't have ads and I'm just assuming they all don't. Makes sense that they all wouldn't. Good luck (thumbs u

thanks for the info!

What the guys are getting at is, if you are a Thor fan, you would be better served to save your money and buy a complete low grade copy. With a complete copy, you could always sell it if you needed to, but with this mess, you might be hard pressed to find another buyer.

What the guys are getting at is, if you are a Thor fan, you would be better served to save your money and buy a complete low grade copy. With a complete copy, you could always sell it if you needed to, but with this mess, you might be hard pressed to find another buyer.

thanks for clarifying that I wasn't sure what they were getting at!

I seriously doubt that even the pages are original. The seller claims that the cover is "original" when it clearly is not, so there's nothing to make me think that the pages aren't from a silver age reprint like Thor #158.

This guy doesn't deserve your money.

I seriously doubt that even the pages are original. The seller claims that the cover is "original" when it clearly is not, so there's nothing to make me think that the pages aren't from a silver age reprint like Thor #158.

This guy doesn't deserve your money.

can you tell me what gives it away that the pages aren't original

The seller states only "3, 4, 7, 8, 11, and 12" are present. Also notice the second picture shows the xeroxed cover with no ad and page 11. The third picture shows an ad and page 3, so there are only a few pages stapled together starting with page 11 followed by 3. This comic book is utter garbage. I recommend that you do not buy. My original JIM 83 is stored at my other house right now, so I cannot tell if the pages are original or from Marvel Tales 1 or other reprint.

why are you interested?

yes I am if it's the real deal then yes I'm interested!

you misunderstood. I was asking why do you want this?

because Thor is one of my favorite comics!

I understand where your coming from but that book is an utter waste of money. It's a Frankenstein. It has a photo copy for a cover stapled to a book that your not even sure is real? :facepalm: You'd be better off saving up for a beater copy that's still in one piece... My god man your not even sure it's real? I'd hate to see you waste your money.

The seller states only "3, 4, 7, 8, 11, and 12" are present. Also notice the second picture shows the xeroxed cover with no ad and page 11. The third picture shows an ad and page 3, so there are only a few pages stapled together starting with page 11 followed by 3. This comic book is utter garbage. I recommend that you do not buy. My original JIM 83 is stored at my other house right now, so I cannot tell if the pages are original or from Marvel Tales 1 or other reprint.

okay thanks!

To beat a dead horse and to satisfy personal curiosity, I compared the eBay pictures against an original JIM 83 and Marvel Tales #1 from 1964.

The pages in this Franken book do not come from either JIM 83 nor Marvel Tales #1. The ad in the back of page 11 should be a Mike Marvel muscle man ad, not a horror fan club ad. Page 11 from Marvel Tales #1 has more story art, not an ad. There is also no art school ad in either the original JIM 83 nor Marvel Tales #1 as shown in the last picture. With these ads, the pages would not originate from the GRR version.

IMO, not worth ten cents.

To beat a dead horse and to satisfy personal curiosity, I compared the eBay pictures against an original JIM 83 and Marvel Tales #1 from 1964.

The pages in this Franken book do not come from either JIM 83 nor Marvel Tales #1. The ad in the back of page 11 should be a Mike Marvel muscle man ad, not a horror fan club ad. Page 11 from Marvel Tales #1 has more story art, not an ad. There is also no art school ad in either the original JIM 83 nor Marvel Tales #1 as shown in the last picture. With these ads, the pages would not originate from the GRR version.

okay thanks for taking the time to tell me what is should be like, I wonder what comic this is from then?

okay thanks for taking the time to tell me what is should be like, I wonder what comic this is from then?

The Grand Comics Database contains a fairly comprehensive listing of most of the published comics.

http://www.comics.org/issue/17100/

Look under Stone Men from Saturn and you will see that Thor #158 also reprints the origin as one of the other forum members stated. I do not have a copy of Thor #158.