• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Not exactly the Label discussion I expected today.

45 posts in this topic

When I logged onto the boards today, I expected to see a discussion/dissection of CGC's new conso/resto labels.

Instead I got a mitt full o threads about Stevie B.

(:

Maybe today wasn't the best day to catch up on the boards!

:blush:

:hi:

So, my attendance slackens (esp. in Comics General) and I find that ol' Kenny has gone from being Blue to Green!! :o

:ohnoez:

:facepalm:

Like, a year ago with the whole Classics inc acquisition.

KENNY!

Back at ya.

:headbang:

I personally am thrilled to see a 5 point scale that better labels slight tru extensive work.

Well thought out idea, but it won't stop the visceral reaction of "Ick a PLOD" book.

The Purple label, even minimized and explained, will still be an impediment.

You can have a more complex scale and people will say "buy the book not the label" until they're red in the face, but the existing market treats Purple (Extensive) and Purple (Minor color touch) as about the same because it's still Purple at a glance.

The only real solution is all Blue, WITH the new restored/conserved designation. That's the ONLY way people will actually judge the book on a regular basis and not react to the crass PLOD.

I don't think this is true for higher dollar books, where the market seems capable of making distinctions, particularly between extensive and slight.

Probably doesn't apply to mega keys...or any book in the mid to high five figures, where collectors will scrutinize the book.

But for books like X-Men 1...the drop in value of a 6.0 Blue to a 6.0 Purple can be huge. But there's very little price difference between a 6.0 with minor color touch and a 6.0 with extensive work. They both get hammered equally, which seems unfair. A Blue 6.0 for all three with the restoration detailed would force to the books to be judged on their merit and not just the PLOD.

I don't feel like making the effort to investigate old auctions and the like, but I find it doubtful that even SA keys with minor work sell for the same as those with extensive work in the same grade. True the stigma of the PLOD is there in both cases, and figuring out FMV can be difficult, but I have to believe that prospective buyers adjust their prices significantly between a copy that has minor CT or tear seals, and one that has had missing pieces leaf-casted.

When I logged onto the boards today, I expected to see a discussion/dissection of CGC's new conso/resto labels.

Instead I got a mitt full o threads about Stevie B.

(:

Maybe today wasn't the best day to catch up on the boards!

:blush:

:hi:

So, my attendance slackens (esp. in Comics General) and I find that ol' Kenny has gone from being Blue to Green!! :o

:ohnoez:

:facepalm:

Like, a year ago with the whole Classics inc acquisition.

Well, I knew of the acquisition but his name hadn't changed color (nor has it in our PMs).

KENNY!

Back at ya.

:headbang:

I personally am thrilled to see a 5 point scale that better labels slight tru extensive work.

Well thought out idea, but it won't stop the visceral reaction of "Ick a PLOD" book.

The Purple label, even minimized and explained, will still be an impediment.

You can have a more complex scale and people will say "buy the book not the label" until they're red in the face, but the existing market treats Purple (Extensive) and Purple (Minor color touch) as about the same because it's still Purple at a glance.

The only real solution is all Blue, WITH the new restored/conserved designation. That's the ONLY way people will actually judge the book on a regular basis and not react to the crass PLOD.

I don't think this is true for higher dollar books, where the market seems capable of making distinctions, particularly between extensive and slight.

Probably doesn't apply to mega keys...or any book in the mid to high five figures, where collectors will scrutinize the book.

But for books like X-Men 1...the drop in value of a 6.0 Blue to a 6.0 Purple can be huge. But there's very little price difference between a 6.0 with minor color touch and a 6.0 with extensive work. They both get hammered equally, which seems unfair. A Blue 6.0 for all three with the restoration detailed would force to the books to be judged on their merit and not just the PLOD.

I don't feel like making the effort to investigate old auctions and the like, but I find it doubtful that even SA keys with minor work sell for the same as those with extensive work in the same grade. True the stigma of the PLOD is there in both cases, and figuring out FMV can be difficult, but I have to believe that prospective buyers adjust their prices significantly between a copy that has minor CT or tear seals, and one that has had missing pieces leaf-casted.

I looked it up on GPA. It's true.