• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Superman/Batman #15

39 posts in this topic

So, what do you think of the new arc and Pacheco's art?

Artwise, I am ok with it. I have always liked Carlos art, but he has a tough act to follow (Turner was great!).

Storywise, it just isn't doing anything for me. Uncle Sam? Baddies doing the time travel thing? Phantom Lady as a pole dancer? (ok, that was cool) - at least the ending looks promising, with Metron and future-Supes.

Guess I am just all tired out with time travellers after Avengers Forever and the Kang Dynasty tongue.gif

The problem was that he drops you into an existing plot without explaining what is going on. As the story unfolds more will be revealed.

Right now, it reads like an Elseworlds title.

Actually with the appearance of the "future" Kingdom Come-style Superman and Metron at the end of issue #15 we are now being tied back to the original story arc - the one drawn by Ed McGuinness in SM/BM 1-6.

Something is not right with the timelines in the DCU, and it has something to do with that future Superman. He attempted to correct this once before by going back in time and confronting the World's Finest team in the batcave, but was soundly trounced. He's since been trying to manipulate the present day DCU to prevent a specific catastrophe. In 14 & 15 it seems he arranged for three alternate version Legionnaires to go back and change the timeline to prevent the age of heroes from coming about and ends up destroying that reality. From the look of #16 it seems he's altered the timeline again to create a world that resembles the world of Kirby's Kamandi. I'm quite interested to see where this is going.

Actually with the appearance of the "future" Kingdom Come-style Superman and Metron at the end of issue #15 we are now being tied back to the original story arc - the one drawn by Ed McGuinness in SM/BM 1-6.

Something is not right with the timelines in the DCU, and it has something to do with that future Superman. He attempted to correct this once before by going back in time and confronting the World's Finest team in the batcave, but was soundly trounced. He's since been trying to manipulate the present day DCU to prevent a specific catastrophe. In 14 & 15 it seems he arranged for three alternate version Legionnaires to go back and change the timeline to prevent the age of heroes from coming about and ends up destroying that reality. From the look of #16 it seems he's altered the timeline again to create a world that resembles the world of Kirby's Kamandi. I'm quite interested to see where this is going.

Is it the "Kingdom Come" Superman? I was hoping it was the GA Superman who was "put out to pasture" at the end of the original Crisis...

Either way, I am LOVING this series. 893applaud-thumb.gif

And, for the record, as far as I know Lightning Lord, Cosmic King, and Saturn Queen are members of the Legion of Super-Villains. They are NOT the "adult" or "alternate" versions of Lightning Lad, Cosmic Boy, and Saturn Girl (as I have seen a number of people confusing the two on various sites).

For example, Lightning Lord is the older brother of the twins Lightning Lad and Lightning Lass... Cosmic King was just a random guy who adopted a similar name to that of Cosmic Boy (different powers)... and Saturn Queen's background was never really "established" as far as I can tell. I believe she was from a FUTURE future (from that of the Legion of Super-Heroes, even).

So they're actual, established bad guys from DC continuity... no hanky-panky happening there.

Lightning Lord, Cosmic King, and Saturn Queen are members of the Legion of Super-Villains.

What title have they appeared in before this?

They've appeared in various LOSH-related titles... Adventure, for the most part, I think? I don't know that they ever really appeared in the actual 80's "Legion of Super-Heroes" title.

Anyway, here's a semi-list: Linkum-Dinkum-Drum

Lightning Lord, Cosmic King, and Saturn Queen are members of the Legion of Super-Villains.

What title have they appeared in before this?

Been around a lonnnggg time....

116_4_147.jpg

thumbsup2.gif

Really liking this series-- probably the hardest-rocking mainstream DC since Morrison's JLA run. And my favorite work ever from Jeph Loeb. Now I just wonder how I managed to miss this week's issue?

This to me is the top series in the current modern age cloud9.gif

I must admit I'm also a bit lost since I don't read much of the other charaters like the Legion. Then I got a little lost on which GL they got the ring from and why he was flying a aircraft of some sort? I guess it's just some mixed up part of the story with no meaning but it stuck in my head makepoint.gif

After hearing so much about it, I finally picked this book up. Luckily my shop had all the Turner Supergirl issues. I've only been exposed to his work w/ Identity Crisis covers, but his interiors in this are awesome!

Haven't started the new arc, but really enjoyed the last one. I'll catch the first arc once the TPB comes out. Probably start the new arc this week.

Great stuff from Loeb! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Then I got a little lost on which GL they got the ring from and why he was flying a aircraft of some sort?

Abin Sur, the Green Lantern who in the regular timeline crashed on Earth and passed his ring onto Hal Jordan.

My favorite is the first arc, although I've enjoyed every issue to this point. It's one of the most consistently fun books on the shelves.

Yeah, I don't know why I didn't pick it up when it first came out. foreheadslap.gif

Not a big fan of the Pacheco art on the current arc, but I'll read just about anything Loeb writes. Hopefully, they'll get Turner back for another arc. I was just really impressed with that Supergirl stuff.

After hearing so much about it, I finally picked this book up. Luckily my shop had all the Turner Supergirl issues. I've only been exposed to his work w/ Identity Crisis covers, but his interiors in this are awesome!

Haven't started the new arc, but really enjoyed the last one. I'll catch the first arc once the TPB comes out. Probably start the new arc this week.

The trade of the first arc is already out gossip.gif

The trade of the first arc is already out gossip.gif

I thought it was just the HC that was out. I'm cheap. I wait for the trade.

Damn DC. They've done the same thing w/ Planetary Vol. 3. frustrated.gif

Thanks MK, I never really followed Legion that much, so this is all new to me

Yes, to me as well. So thanks MK for clearing that up. I'm only vaguely familiar with the characters, as any contact I've had with LOSH has reinforced my need to steer clear.

Thanks MK, I never really followed Legion that much, so this is all new to me

Yes, to me as well. So thanks MK for clearing that up. I'm only vaguely familiar with the characters, as any contact I've had with LOSH has reinforced my need to steer clear.

27_laughing.gif Sadly, you're not alone in that feeling... confused-smiley-013.gif I would put LOSH and X-Men on my very, very short list of books/stories/teams that DESERVE and NEED a complete reboot. Something, perhaps, like using the "restore" function on Windows XP where you can restore your computer to a prior time when it was working well.

(With Legion, it would have to go back to the original post-Adventure series... and even early on in that run before the book was just RIDICULOUSLY over-populated with interesting, if unnecessary, characters.)

(With X-Men, it would have to go back to the original Jim Lee run-- or just after. I could feel that book slipping away with every issue that didn't ACTUALLY FEATURE THE X-MEN. I mean, what the hell was all that, anyway?)