• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Storing comics inside wood?

34 posts in this topic

Ok, enough misinformation in this thread.

Cedar chests are not a good place to store paper.

Cedar off-gasses both highly acidic fumes & oils (part of that lovely cedar smell) which will actively discolor & weaken paper over time.

I am guessing Teak would be a better choice. Like Cedar, it takes many decades to rot. Cedar is an extremely soft wood. Teak is extremely hard.

Cedar's good for cigars or maybe if you're gonna roll up and smoke your comics

Ok, enough misinformation in this thread.

Cedar chests are not a good place to store paper.

Cedar off-gasses both highly acidic fumes & oils (part of that lovely cedar smell) which will actively discolor & weaken paper over time.

:applause:

I stand corrected.

Although everything I read online says storing paper products in wood, especially cedar, is bad, I'm gonna ignore that and go by real world lesson-the Action 9.0 white pages was stored in dad's cedar chest for maybe 60 years.....

If the book is in an acid free bag and board, and the box is vented, does the wood off gassing really make a diff?

I'm building a box for some of my CGC books. I was aiming for cedar, but will probably have to go with Oak. Im Planning to have some 1/8" cuts running along the top. 2 on each side. Going to try to wood burn an image into the center of the top.

We'll see if it works.

I've had most of my comics in cedar long boxes that I built myself, and as I mentioned in the other thread they are in great shape yet. I just wish that I had the ability to scan them 25 years ago, then I could have tracked how much they had degraded. Well I guess I can always pull out a few issues that I bought new and read once before boxing them away and see how they look.

I've had most of my comics in cedar long boxes that I built myself, and as I mentioned in the other thread they are in great shape yet. I just wish that I had the ability to scan them 25 years ago, then I could have tracked how much they had degraded. Well I guess I can always pull out a few issues that I bought new and read once before boxing them away and see how they look.

Cedar long boxes?! Thats quite the workout if you ever move....

The one I'm building is about the size of a short box. It's just for my higher value books. better presentation I think.