• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ComicLink auction

83 posts in this topic

Anybody else pick up any Gaines Files? Bidding was generally strong on them (it was a very nice run) but then some of them don't seem to turn up that often...

I was completely blown out of the water on the HOFs and WFs runs. Many of them went for 2x my max bid or more. Now I'm cheap, but not that cheap. Extremely strong prices from my perspective.

But I did manage to snag this gal:

B52E8D7E-F6E3-45C7-838C-5213036928E6_zpsdpj64y0i.jpg

A great cover (thumbs u

I agree, the Gaines for the most part did go extremely strong. Particularly those with outstanding covers. It was interesting watching the Haunts. As soon as the Ingels covers started the prices doubled. The other book that I was hot for was the Weird Fantasy 21. It is the last issue I need for the run, and at 9.8 it was a killer book. But I just couldn't go that high ($10,750). Oh well...another will come along.

HOF 8 has been a $1200-1600 book in 9.4 GFC for years, now it's $2900?!?

Went hard at 4 books, but at the end of the day I still don't have the mindset to spend four figures on a comic. As a result I had to bow out on the Spaceman #1 and the Venus #10...

But I still won one for my Sci-Fi collection

JxB0BeE.jpg

:cloud9:

..... that Spaceman 1 was a real nice book.... it would've been a good one to breach the "four figure" barrier with. Some of those HOF's were maddeningly nice. I think the misconception of EC's being common in high grade is finally being laid to rest .... a quick look at the census shows that there's only enough to cover a few collectors ..... and man, do those Severin colors POP. With many of them available at the 2K level, they almost seem like a bargain compared to many SA books in grade. Looks like Flex got his price on the Menace 5..... loads of eye appeal on that one, especially without the faded reds so common on that issue. I thought I was going to slip under the radar and snag another nice example of an Atlas book that commonly has printing defects, the Uncanny Tales 17. This copy didn't have the smudging of the black inks so often seen.... and this 5.0 copy went for almost 400 bucks :o GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Tell me this cover isn't about as cool as it gets...

Ok, since you asked politely. "this cover isn't about as cool as it gets..."

No need to thank me, feel free to just ask me anytime (thumbs u

You have no taste. No need to thank me, feel free to just ask me anytime.

One of Ingels very best.

Went hard at 4 books, but at the end of the day I still don't have the mindset to spend four figures on a comic. As a result I had to bow out on the Spaceman #1 and the Venus #10...

JxB0BeE.jpg

Nice one. One of my favorite Wood sic-fi covers.

Ok, since you asked politely. "this cover isn't about as cool as it gets..."

No need to thank me, feel free to just ask me anytime (thumbs u

You have no taste. No need to thank me, feel free to just ask me anytime.

One of Ingels very best.

+1

RADC6E5C201455_17855.jpg

When Bill Gaines offered Russ Cochran any piece of original art from his collection, his first choice was Weird Science-Fantasy 29. Frazetta owned that one, so Cochran's second choice was HOF 18. Definitely a masterpiece.

When Bill Gaines offered Russ Cochran any piece of original art from his collection, his first choice was Weird Science-Fantasy 29. Frazetta owned that one, so Cochran's second choice was HOF 18. Definitely a masterpiece.

That's an interesting story, I had not heard it before. Does Cochran still have it?

RADC6E5C201455_17855.jpg

So Larry are you saying this is second best? :grin:

Single win so far. Minor upgrade over my beater copy!

GreenHornet15MH_zpsb99b1fa2.jpg

Congrats Dan. Beautiful book. Love those incremental upgrades (thumbs u

very cool book! I love the ghoulish dude in the middle.

Cover sure looks like Schomburg, but it's not noted on the label. hm

Cover sure looks like Schomburg, but it's not noted on the label. hm

I saw that. It looks Schomburgesqe, but not exactly. Like someone was trying to imitate. I'm sure one of the experts here can figure it out.

JxB0BeE.jpg

..... that Spaceman 1 was a real nice book.... it would've been a good one to breach the "four figure" barrier with.

Im so afraid to invest in a "top of census" book thats a 9.0... all it takes is one pedigree to appear, or a high grade raw thats been in mylar for decades to get graded and sudenly my "top census" grade (and price) ain't what it used to be...

Im not in this hobby to make money, but I sure aint in it to LOSE money.

JxB0BeE.jpg

..... that Spaceman 1 was a real nice book.... it would've been a good one to breach the "four figure" barrier with.

Im so afraid to invest in a "top of census" book thats a 9.0... all it takes is one pedigree to appear, or a high grade raw thats been in mylar for decades to get graded and sudenly my "top census" grade (and price) ain't what it used to be...

Im not in this hobby to make money, but I sure aint in it to LOSE money.

.... I certainly understand that line of logic..... but I think a lot of the price point with that book is related to the esoteric coolness that just oozes off it. After all, it's in Merryweather's sig line for a reason . I totally regret passing on a real nice 5.0 on eBay a while back for a BIN of $ 199. GOD BLESS...