• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why is Hawkman 4 so hard to find in decent condition?

96 posts in this topic

As I look to upgrade key issues I'm noticing that Hawkman 4 is particularly hard to find in high grade or even in low grade. I know about the Zantana appeal but why so few? Is it hoarding, speculating or just a scarce issue? hm

I have also noticed that certain DC keys are always hard to get. Adventure Comics 283 (first Zod) is one example. Is there something about DC production in the early silver age that is having this effect now? Any insight or secret sharing is appreciated. :gossip:

Hawkman 4 in HG is out there.... I think it's just a case of the price not being high enough yet to shake them loose..... after all, Zatanna is MAD cool ..... not many keys have been as overlooked as that one. Now, Zod and Adventure 283 is probably a lot tougher in grade, but again, a long overlooked book that should have staying power ..... good luck, friend. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I've also noticed they're tough to find in F/VF and higher. I also think the current pricing is a bit ridiculous (nice character with nicer legs, but not a "key" character in the DC Universe, IMO, to justify the price), but reflective of the lack of supply. I don't see Zatanna in a movie any time before the end of this decade, and we already saw her in Smallville TV series.

But on the subject of DC silver age keys/semi-keys generally, they're tougher in F/VF higher. Just look at GPA sales in higher/high grade of pre-1966 DC SA keys/semi-keys, and it's few and far between. Compare the same to Marvel counterparts, and the GPA sales board for each book is lit up like a Christmas tree with multiple sales.

That's why I picked this copy up when I could. I don't see many high grade copies out there, raw or slabbed.

Last year you could get a CGC 9.0 for $700-800. The last two copies have sold for $2,200+.

The 1st appearance craze coupled with the fact that this is a very cool character appearaing in a tough to find book that has been undervalued for a looooong time is causing this book to shoot through the roof!!

If Dr. Strange can pull off the 'magic' in his movie, I can see DC throwing Zatanna in one of their future flicks very quickly!

10o08pi.jpg

I have been buying raw copies for about a year now and have about 10 examples. This is the best raw copy I've been able to find in the wild...

13654750434_993300618e_b.jpg

It is an earlier book on a second tier title which probably cuts down on availability a bit.

There is also a bit of speculation on the book at this point and supply has dried up a bit this year. (Constantine connection, JLA Dark, Sexy legs)

I would not be surprised to see census numbers rise on this book in the near future at its current price levels.

Holy crud. $2200 for a 9.0. I just checked the bay and there is a 9.4 for over 5 grand. Is that a crazy number or is it reality now? :facepalm:

Lots of good points raised on why. Sounds like it is a combination of issues ranging from scarcity, long overdue price increase and speculation. The dr strange comparison is interesting. Both live in the unexplored world of the supernatural and while the doc is seemingly a bigger character, Zantana definitely has the sex appeal. Is there room for growth at these prices? A 9.0 of ST 110 is going for what nowadays? 10 grand or so or more. Not sure as that one has been creeping quickly.

Vintagecomics, would you mind sharing the price on your 9.6? And a picture if you have it? I have a really beautiful 8.0 but have never seen a 9.6 and at these prices I never will. :P

I don't have any pics of it handy but it went for about $3K IIRC and it was some time much earlier this year.

I never thought TEC 359 was worth that kinda change either, and it is more common. Female first appearances are hot. Look at Action 252. Look at Batman 181. Not all the same class of book, book you get the idea.

Has Lois Lane 70 been moving?

I have bought, bid on or watched every copy of this book that's been available on the web the past 2 years. Higher grades do come up; I'm sure more are finding their way onto the census now.

Here's one

http://www.mycomicshop.com/search?ItemID=25847699

If you don't want to pay that these days, you've got to spot an underpriced copy and jump on it fast, or get lucky with off-the-grid dealers at shows or LCS's.

No way this book is worth near that much.

I agree, seems like the herd mentality is making this book a bigger deal than it really is.

It's a lot cheaper than her dad's first appearance. :insane:

Here is my copy of this book.

It has been in my collection since it was first published. The green dot on the bag indicates that it was a part of my originbal collection prior to my reentering the comic book field.

I remember having this book for sale in my early days of being a collector/dealer in the mid 80"s. I had it priced for $12 and while it was looked at several times, I am happy to report that it has found its way into my permanent collection

hawkman4.jpg

That's why I picked this copy up when I could. I don't see many high grade copies out there, raw or slabbed.

Last year you could get a CGC 9.0 for $700-800. The last two copies have sold for $2,200+.

The 1st appearance craze coupled with the fact that this is a very cool character appearaing in a tough to find book that has been undervalued for a looooong time is causing this book to shoot through the roof!!

If Dr. Strange can pull off the 'magic' in his movie, I can see DC throwing Zatanna in one of their future flicks very quickly!

10o08pi.jpg

I have been buying raw copies for about a year now and have about 10 examples. This is the best raw copy I've been able to find in the wild...

Curious when this book was slabbed?

10o08pi.jpg

3/21/2014

Why do you ask?