• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why is Hawkman 4 so hard to find in decent condition?

96 posts in this topic

No way this book is worth near that much.

I agree, seems like the herd mentality is making this book a bigger deal than it really is.

Keep in mind though that it's been the herd mentality that has in recent years caused any of these "keys" to outstrip the "value" of their counterparts by miles. Objectively this phenomenon makes no more sense to a disinterested observer than any other wave of speculation that's pushed up the prices of everything from tulip bulbs to high tech stocks in the past.

No way this book is worth near that much.

of course not, it's a DC for one thing

Meaning that there are only 5-10% the copies out there relative to Marvels of a similar age.

:preach:

and only 2% of the collectors who give a hoot relative to Marvels of a similar age

Is this a joke meme? I see you and a couple others repeating it in years old threads as I've been backtracking.

Not really - it's no secret that the amount of Marvel SA collectors is incredibly huge in comparison to SA DC ones. Once the speculators jump ship onto the next book hm and only the collectors are left to pick up the rubble you really see where prices are for a lot of these SA DC books.

What I see with a lot of longtime collectors and dealers is that they seem to think that the "key"-ness of a book is a static concept. If they haven't been considered keys or highly sought after until recently, they're not "real" keys. At best, they're relegated to "minor" key or "semi-minor" key status; at worst, they're considered speculator- or hype-driven books. I'm a collector who believes that the "key"-ness of a book is an evolving thing whose significance is determined by things like merchandising and movies. What so many long-time collectors appear to resent is the impact merchandising and movies have had on this hobby. I don't understand why that would be.

Zatanna is being more widely portrayed now in the New 52 and in video games and toys. In my opinion, Zatanna is here to stay and Hawkman 4 should be considered part of the Silver Age DC canon.

as i'm blowing mine out the door (thumbs u

hm

With Hawkman #4 blowing up so hard, some people may want to look for some other important Zatanna books, while avoiding the main Key.

My second choice would be Justice League of America #51.

It's her sixth appearance overall, and her first FEATURED appearance on a cover.

She appears as a head on Atom #19, and then kind of laying down in the background of Green Lantern #42. But in this issue, she's up front and the shared focal point of the cover (with Batman).

300px-Justice_League_of_America_Vol_1_51.jpg

Moreover, it's also the issue where Zatanna is reunited with her dad, Zatara.

I love this cover but i think Atom 19 is more important because its the 2nd appearence right?

I prefer this book, for the reasons stated.

But yes, a second appearance is important too.

My question is why is the book blowing up? In 9.4 it's a $1200 book. In 9.6 it's a $2000-$2500 book and that is 2013 pricing (approximate). Someone mentioned herd mentality, but is there legitimate speculation on this book?

My line of thinking is that fans of Zatanna already have this book. It's pricing probably kept a lot of them out of CGCs hands and a sea of raw books is going to flood the market like Harley did. Why is there a big rush to buy it?

I picked up one for $30 8-months ago raw. Impulse buy because it looked in decent shape and the cover was interesting. I sent it into CGC a few weeks ago. I'm crossing my fingers for it to come back at least a 9.0. Then again, I've been hammered by CGC many times for what I thought was a nice looking book. Now I have the problem many collectors have: I bought it because I liked it. Now I will have a lot trouble parting with it if it grades high....

Why is there a sudden interest in this book? Out of control spec for her being the next possible DC answer to Dr. Strange?

I've been buying them because she's genuinely my favorite character.

The people buying it for other reasons are pricing me out of the market on super high grades :mad:

My highest grade copy would likely be the last book to ever leave my collection.

And even that is probably about a 8.5 - 9.0 :eek:

My question is why is the book blowing up? In 9.4 it's a $1200 book. In 9.6 it's a $2000-$2500 book and that is 2013 pricing (approximate). Someone mentioned herd mentality, but is there legitimate speculation on this book?

My line of thinking is that fans of Zatanna already have this book. It's pricing probably kept a lot of them out of CGCs hands and a sea of raw books is going to flood the market like Harley did. Why is there a big rush to buy it?

I picked up one for $30 8-months ago raw. Impulse buy because it looked in decent shape and the cover was interesting. I sent it into CGC a few weeks ago. I'm crossing my fingers for it to come back at least a 9.0. Then again, I've been hammered by CGC many times for what I thought was a nice looking book. Now I have the problem many collectors have: I bought it because I liked it. Now I will have a lot trouble parting with it if it grades high....

Why is there a sudden interest in this book? Out of control spec for her being the next possible DC answer to Dr. Strange?

classic pump and dump in effect

Wasn't DC 60s paper also of poorer quality compared to Marvel 60s paper, making high grade DCs harder to find in grade than Marvels from the same period?

I always thought that Marvel's was the poorer quality paper. That's why we have the Marvel chipping phenomenon, is it not?

???

Wasn't DC 60s paper also of poorer quality compared to Marvel 60s paper, making high grade DCs harder to find in grade than Marvels from the same period?

I always thought that Marvel's was the poorer quality paper. That's why we have the Marvel chipping phenomenon, is it not?

???

Bingo (thumbs u

Btw good luck on Adventure #283. I've managed to land 3 decent copies and yes, it's not easy to find in HG, period. Not quite as hard as something like Superboy #68 but it's somewhat up there. I wanted the 8.5 on Comiclink but I am paying off two other books.

Thanks Zod (Funny that I am thanking Zod for wishing me luck on 283. I just had a total comic geek moment). And I agree Superboy 68 is tough to find. I am still new to high grade DC's and I'm taking it slow but I have kept my eyes open for 68. Bizarro is a great character and this is a cool cover. It looks like another one of those more obscure DC titles that kids did not take care of (and a ton of other reasons) and now they are tough to find.

And oh yeah mishman threw the gauntlet down with that Hawk 4- 9.6. Sweet book but out of my limited range. Good luck with the sale.

^^

^^

+1

^^

+1

Why do you believe that applies here?

^^

+1

Judging by this thread I don't see the pumping. Who here is trumpeting Zatanna as the next mega superstar?

I see a lot of people chaffing at the bit to dump though. Look at the growth in the number of slabbed copies of the comic. That can only be a prelude to putting the comic up for sale.

My own take on the pricing of Hawkman 4 is that it was underpriced relative to other comics of a similar age given that Zatanna is of some importance in the DC Universe. She was a JLA member when it was still a relatively select group.

By the same token though I think that the recent spate of buying on the part of the Hollywood fanatic, fanboy and fart-catching crowd has now pushed the price of Hawkman 4 to silly and unsustainable levels.

^^

+1

Judging by this thread I don't see the pumping. Who here is trumpeting Zatanna as the next mega superstar?

I see a lot of people chaffing at the bit to dump though. Look at the growth in the number of slabbed copies of the comic. That can only be a prelude to putting the comic up for sale.

My own take on the pricing of Hawkman 4 is that it was underpriced relative to other comics of a similar age given that Zatanna is of some importance in the DC Universe. She was a JLA member when it was still a relatively select group.

By the same token though I think that the recent spate of buying on the part of the Hollywood fanatic, fanboy and fart-catching crowd has now pushed the price of Hawkman 4 to silly and unsustainable levels.

+1000

Thanks for stepping up and clearing up this pump and dump silliness and bringing the thread back on topic.

Hawkman 4 may have taken off after being a quiet book but I wonder if all DCs are dormant and just starting their ascent. And if so is this the new normal? With the Superman and Batman movies and now the Jla fever it feels like a step change is occurring. I am a Marvel collector and have been dabbling in DC and have found this harder than expected. All Batman and Superman villain intro keys are now really pricey and have stayed high. BB28 and all early JLA are really rising. Even Darkseid related books are smoking hot. Even forever people 1 is tough in 9.2 or higher. The only DC bargain is Green Lantern and it took a huge bomb to bring those prices down.

If I want to continue to collect DC I have to decide whether to hold off on my keys and pick them up cheaper a few years from now or buy now while they are still pricey but more affordable than when the Jla movie hits in 2017. Could current prices be considered bargains? I remember thinking about buying Apple at $24 a share and thinking that was overpriced and I still cringe when it cracked $600. Fyi, I did not buy Apple. doh!

Thanks for stepping up and clearing up this pump and dump silliness and bringing the thread back on topic.

Hawkman 4 may have taken off after being a quiet book but I wonder if all DCs are dormant and just starting their ascent. And if so is this the new normal? With the Superman and Batman movies and now the Jla fever it feels like a step change is occurring. I am a Marvel collector and have been dabbling in DC and have found this harder than expected. All Batman and Superman villain intro keys are now really pricey and have stayed high. BB28 and all early JLA are really rising. Even Darkseid related books are smoking hot. Even forever people 1 is tough in 9.2 or higher. The only DC bargain is Green Lantern and it took a huge bomb to bring those prices down.

If I want to continue to collect DC I have to decide whether to hold off on my keys and pick them up cheaper a few years from now or buy now while they are still pricey but more affordable than when the Jla movie hits in 2017. Could current prices be considered bargains? I remember thinking about buying Apple at $24 a share and thinking that was overpriced and I still cringe when it cracked $600. Fyi, I did not buy Apple. doh!

For what it's worth, I think Hawkman 4 is over inflated. This isn't a late 50s book, it's a mid-60s book. Plenty of copies on census for a marginal character. I think it's a bad bet at current prices.

i have no idea what select group of DC's you are talking about but across the board they are easily down 35-50% in high grade from the highs. Flash- unless you are talking about below #120 you can't give away. where are early JLA really rising? other than the here or there intro villain books you are talking about Superman/Action is deader than disco. Batman is unique but again there it's only the here and there book that's rising or holding steady, the bulk of the Bats/Tec silver age runs are stagnant to down. These are the top tier DC titles, don't even bother mentioning the second and third tier titles- they are toxic.

For what it's worth, I think Hawkman 4 is over inflated. This isn't a late 50s book, it's a mid-60s book. Plenty of copies on census for a marginal character. I think it's a bad bet at current prices.

I'm surprised at its sudden and considerable climb, and somewhat annoyed at not having a copy, despite having just about every other Hawkman in my collection left over from my dealer days (they were slow sellers).

i have no idea what select group of DC's you are talking about but across the board they are easily down 35-50% in high grade from the highs. Flash- unless you are talking about below #120 you can't give away. where are early JLA really rising? other than the here or there intro villain books you are talking about Superman/Action is deader than disco. Batman is unique but again there it's only the here and there book that's rising or holding steady, the bulk of the Bats/Tec silver age runs are stagnant to down. These are the top tier DC titles, don't even bother mentioning the second and third tier titles- they are toxic.

You certainly come on strong for a friendly forum. I'm not sure where your 35 to 50 percent down quote is coming from or if you are pulling it from thin air. Give the same context that you are demanding. Check out ebay numbers for Bb 28 and Jla 1 through 21. For Batman check any key 155, 171, 181... For superman, check action 242 and 252. Superboy 68, adventure 283. Aquaman 1 and 36. Forever people 1. Olsen 134. Flash 105 through 110; less so but still in demand 111 through 119. Detective 225. I am an avid collector of keys ( not entire runs) and have purchased every one of these over the last 2 years and am constantly looking to upgrade each of them. I'm a buyer if you are a seller especially if you are willing to give away those toxic, deader than disco keys in nice condition.