• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why is Hawkman 4 so hard to find in decent condition?

96 posts in this topic

Thanks for stepping up and clearing up this pump and dump silliness and bringing the thread back on topic.

Hawkman 4 may have taken off after being a quiet book but I wonder if all DCs are dormant and just starting their ascent. And if so is this the new normal? With the Superman and Batman movies and now the Jla fever it feels like a step change is occurring. I am a Marvel collector and have been dabbling in DC and have found this harder than expected. All Batman and Superman villain intro keys are now really pricey and have stayed high. BB28 and all early JLA are really rising. Even Darkseid related books are smoking hot. Even forever people 1 is tough in 9.2 or higher. The only DC bargain is Green Lantern and it took a huge bomb to bring those prices down.

If I want to continue to collect DC I have to decide whether to hold off on my keys and pick them up cheaper a few years from now or buy now while they are still pricey but more affordable than when the Jla movie hits in 2017. Could current prices be considered bargains? I remember thinking about buying Apple at $24 a share and thinking that was overpriced and I still cringe when it cracked $600. Fyi, I did not buy Apple. doh!

i have no idea what select group of DC's you are talking about but across the board they are easily down 35-50% in high grade from the highs. Flash- unless you are talking about below #120 you can't give away. where are early JLA really rising? other than the here or there intro villain books you are talking about Superman/Action is deader than disco. Batman is unique but again there it's only the here and there book that's rising or holding steady, the bulk of the Bats/Tec silver age runs are stagnant to down. These are the top tier DC titles, don't even bother mentioning the second and third tier titles- they are toxic.

If you have any Flash above #120 you don't want post them in your VCC booth. I am feening to complete my SA Flash run! :wishluck:

And in general I agree with your sentiments.

I'm a buyer if you are a seller especially if you are willing to give away those toxic, deader than disco keys in nice condition.

Those are my ideal buys as well. and I'm not just a key collector but a completist!

:)

I agree on so many levels. I have been really watching this book. @9.0 it was a 700-900 book and a week later the 9.0 went on eBay for $2200.00 at this point GPA was inflated past reality. It took one sucker to pay $2200 and all of a sudden the hoards surfaced (a lot from same seller of the 9.0) This is totally an inflated price and will fall. Most books make some kind of sense compared to OSPG this is all hype off one sale .. Legit?

Then in January a 9.6 sold on these boards for 3,000 something and that same book was recently listed for over 8,000.00 ? somethings up for sure. 9.0 selling for 500 to 1000 percent over guide?

I agree on so many levels. I have been really watching this book. @9.0 it was a 700-900 book and a week later the 9.0 went on eBay for $2200.00 at this point GPA was inflated past reality. It took one sucker to pay $2200 and all of a sudden the hoards surfaced (a lot from same seller of the 9.0) This is totally an inflated price and will fall. Most books make some kind of sense compared to OSPG this is all hype off one sale .. Legit?

Then in January a 9.6 sold on these boards for 3,000 something and that same book was recently listed for over 8,000.00 ? somethings up for sure. 9.0 selling for 500 to 1000 percent over guide?

I do remember when I was looking into the 9.0 sales when they jumped something did look a bit fishy, but there was nothing conclusive.

I'm putting my own 9.0 up soon and if it doesn't fetch that number, it will just sit in my collection. Somewhere there is a buyer out there for $2199 if there was a bidder for $2200.

That 8k+ number for a 9.6 on the boards really made no sense. Even using GPA numbers, I have no idea where that number fell out of the sky. There is even one on a website known for over-charging and that one is at 8k. Again, based on what? For the most part the book doubled in price. That would make a 9.6 near 5k; maybe 6? Still, why?

I still don't understand why it's going up, but an Action 242 has caught my eye!

EDIT: Ahhhhhh There is talk about a JLA Dark movie that will include Zatanna.

"In March 2013, del Toro gave an update on the movie at WonderCon 2013, while talking about his film Pacific Rim. He revealed that the story bible was complete and he hoped to start the screenplay soon. Production would begin after his next project"

Why not base gpa on auction sales and not on one sale of 3000 plus? When buying books i always look at final auction sales to get an avg of a.books value.

You have to look at the average for the year, possibly two if the book is rare. That one Wonder Woman book that just sold for 42k (?) it was selling steady for 14-17k until two loons got into a bidding war. It doesn't mean it's a 42k book. However, a bunch are now surfacing at wet dream prices.

There are also a lot of private sales too that if you happen to remember them, it helps in determining value. An Example would be that Hulk 180 9.8 white that sold here for around 3k. It's listed for 6k+ now. What's it's actual value? Looking at GPA, I would say 3k is about right.

It took one sucker to pay $2200... this is all hype off one sale.

Yes, I agree that there were one, or two in the case of an auction, suckers to push the price to that level. But that doesn't constitute "hype". I've not heard any hype for the comic, just a sucker or two or three paying too high a price.

I'm putting my own 9.0 up soon and if it doesn't fetch that number, it will just sit in my collection. Somewhere there is a buyer out there for $2199 if there was a bidder for $2200.

Statistically that's not necessarily the case. It's the high bidder who was willing to pay $2200. Remove the high bidder from the bidding pool and the second highest bidder has to beat the bid of only the third highest bidder, which may have been only $300.

(shrug)

That 8k+ number for a 9.6 on the boards really made no sense. Even using GPA numbers, I have no idea where that number fell out of the sky. There is even one on a website known for over-charging and that one is at 8k. Again, based on what? For the most part the book doubled in price. That would make a 9.6 near 5k; maybe 6? Still, why?

I still don't understand why it's going up, but an Action 242 has caught my eye!

"In March 2013, del Toro gave an update on the movie at WonderCon 2013, while talking about his film Pacific Rim. He revealed that the story bible was complete and he hoped to start the screenplay soon. Production would begin after his next project"

You listing as an auction? or BIN?

You listing as an auction? or BIN?

I actually stuck it into my collection. I was going to list it here, but changed my mind once I saw it. I'm on the fence with it still.

Looks like Greg Reece just sold a 9.6 for $7k.

http://www.gregreececomics.com/Comics/HAWKMAN_4_CGC_9_6_OW_WH_PAGES_2

Wow. Crazy thing is, I don't think this is even remotely done climbing. What would a 9.6 ST 110 go for? What was that same ST 110 going for. 2 years ago? These are interesting times in our hobby.

I wonder how much a 9.6 is worth now..

$61,506 (shrug) April 2014 sale

I went trolling in the ST 110 section and got my answer on the ST 110 9.6. I can't verify it but that is a huge difference in price and a lot of ground to make up but you never know...