• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel Cancelling Fantastic Four Comics to Spite Fox?

147 posts in this topic

Artists Given Specific Instructions Not To Use Fantastic Four Characters

I do a number of sketch card projects for Upper Deck and Rittenhouse using Marvel characters. The most recent projects from both companies, one billed as Marvel 75th Anniversary, gave specific guidelines to NOT use any FF characters or supporting cast such as Dr Doom, Galactus, Surfer, Skrulls etc…

Another source close to Marvel tells me that this is all coming from Marvel CEO and largest Disney shareholder Ike Perlmutter, who has been known to take these kind of things very personally indeed.

Also, it’s worth pointing out that Marvel has a very different relationship with Fox than it does with Sony.

Would Marvel Really Cancel Fantastic Four To Snub Fox?

Perlmutter is still involved with Marvel, albeit as a Disney shareholder?

From a quick Bloomberg search...

Marvel Entertainment, LLC

Morton E Handel - Chairman

Isaac Perlmutter - Vice President/CEO

James F Halpin - Board Member

Richard L Solar - Board Member

Does this not sound like Marvel is "cutting off their nose to spite their face"? As a comic fan, if true, this is sad. If it wasn't clear before this news that Marvel is now about movies, this has made it painfully clear.

Do they really think movie goers are influenced by currently printed comics?

I guess Marvel doesn't feel like its piece of the pie from non-X-Men Fox movies is big enough to justify the cost of "advertising" (publishing Fantastic Four comics)

I guess Marvel doesn't feel like its piece of the pie from non-X-Men Fox movies is big enough to justify the cost of "advertising" (publishing Fantastic Four comics)

Is their situation with X-Men different?

I've heard an unsubstantiated rumor that people were wondering around the Marvel offices tearing down X-Men related stuff hanging up because they are pissed at Fox. Would not be surprised if they cancel FF for no other reason than to spite fox (especially because sales haven't been stellar)

The Fantastic Four is what brought me in the hobby, and remains my favorite of all comic-related anything. This kinda stuff makes me sad. All these other properties are getting the royal treatment and they get the shaft.

Peace,

Chip

Is their situation with X-Men different?

If I were to guess, it's because the X-Men are much more popular -- both at the box office and LCS.

April 2014 Sales Numbers

Rank Title Issue Sales

14 All New X-Men 25 63,827

17 All New X-Men 26 58,918

22 Uncanny X-Men 20 55,359

37 Amazing X-Men 6 45,095

42 X-Men 13 42,065

60 Fantastic Four 3 34,930

100 Ultimate FF 1 23,316

Also, according to the 2013 Yearly Sales, the X-men had two books in the top ten. A Fantastic Four title doesn't appear until #361.

I've heard an unsubstantiated rumor that people were wondering around the Marvel offices tearing down X-Men related stuff hanging up because they are pissed at Fox. Would not be surprised if they cancel FF for no other reason than to spite fox (especially because sales haven't been stellar)

What I find weird about all this is the licensing deals with Fox and Sony is why Marvel is still around today. Those movie deals kept Marvel's doors open. Now Marvel is going to act like a spoiled kid because the studios who made those deals have plans to continue with the movie franchises they negotiated?

I'm guessing all this is just a bad rumor. Fox has had the X-Men and FF movies for 14 years now and never in those 14 years did Marvel attempt to kill either franchise.

What I find weird about all this is the licensing deals with Fox and Sony is why Marvel is still around today. Those movie deals kept Marvel's doors open. Now Marvel is going to act like a spoiled kid because the studios who made those deals have plans to continue with the movie franchises they negotiated?

I'm guessing all this is just a bad rumor. Fox has had the X-Men and FF movies for 14 years now and never in those 14 years did Marvel attempt to kill either franchise.

:gossip: except that Marvel died 5 years ago. Everyone forgets, Marvel is a Disney company. Yes Ike still runs it but at the end of the day, he answers to Disney. I mentioned it before, there IS a match going on right now between Marvel and Fox. This exists. Whether they actually canceled a book over it, IDK yet.

:gossip: except that Marvel died 5 years ago. Everyone forgets, Marvel is a Disney company. Yes Ike still runs it but at the end of the day, he answers to Disney. I mentioned it before, there IS a match going on right now between Marvel and Fox. This exists. Whether they actually canceled a book over it, IDK yet.

Disney would not have had a Marvel to buy if Fox and Sony didn't pursue those license with Marvel. In fact, Disney would have no interest in Marvel if it wasn't for the success of those movie licenses.

So, is the death of Wolverine part of Disney's feud with Fox? Since the attempt to make the Inhumans relevant fell flat, I guess we'll get another attempt this year. If the Inhumans did become popular, would we see the X-Men titles phased out for titles featuring Inhumans?

So much for the larger corporation leaving Marvel publishing alone to produce good books. This is the worst corporate interfering (if true) that I've ever heard of in the comic publishing world.

Man, I really hope for all the Marvel Universe fans that this is just a really, really horrible rumor.