• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rude Comic Shop Experiences

114 posts in this topic

During a period when my interest in comics had declined a bit and I'd cut back on my spending, I had the misfortune of being faced down by an angrily-snorting store manager and slapped on the back of the head as I walked away. Extortion, I believe it's called? Should've had the police look into that one. :facepalm:

I've happily been a non-customer for 11 years now.

Ive been at my store now for just over 3 years. I can only think back to 1 person that told me that whatever he asked about, he could get for less on ebay. I asked him what he'd be happy to spend and he was like "no, that's alright" Everyone else, loves me. I great everyone as they walk in. Some choose to be left alone, others got questions or stories to share, I may be on the phone or there could be someone else I'm working with, but I make myself available and tend to everyone best I can. I enjoy my time at my store and I like the people that come in. I don't care if they spend money or not. I just like the fact that they took time out and entered the Junkdrawer. With an advertising budget of $0.00 you have to appreciate it.

People trying to tell me what I want to buy and that 'everyone's doing it' doesn't fly real well with me.

+1

Two years ago I went into a comic store looking for some back issues of some obscure titles and walking dead. I figured it was a good place to ask as he has lots of back issues. After browsing for about 10-15 minutes without being acknowledged I asked the owner for some help and listed off a few titles his immediate response "Why the hell would you want to read that mess? why don't you buy some batman?".

I couldn't believe his first response was to swear at me and belittle my choice of reading. I left straight away told my 20 odd friends who all read comics to stay away and have not been back since.

On a side note his business looks like it is doing very poorly, the window display has not been changed for at least five years. The stock is so old that it has been faded by the sun to the point where you can barely tell what titles they are. The other two stores in town who always have good customer service and are very helpful have both being going excellently and both have expanded their premises.

Back around 1980, I stopped by my regular comic shop. The owner was an entertaining guy but could be critical towards what some of his customers read. Anyway, I was the only customer in the store and I noticed he had a copy of Fantasy Quarterly #1 up on the wall display. For those that don't know, FQ #1 contains the 1st appearance of Elfquest. It had a growing readership. He priced it at $75, which was very high in 1980. I asked him why the high price? The owner answered with a straight face, I just want to prove customers that read Elfquest are brain-damaged.

And effectively proved that indeed he was the brain-damaged one....

I haven't ever really had a rude experience, but I am often ignored. IDK if it's because I'm a woman or look like the greenhorn that I am, or just the way the shop runs. But it's often okay with me, because I am a little intimidated by the people who know way more than I do about comic books. :-)

I've seen several examples where shop owners/workers seem to ignore new, unfamiliar or non-frequent customers in favor of their regulars. I think in all my years of shopping at comic stores, I've not run into a rude situation, but plenty of ignored/indifferent situations.

During a period when my interest in comics had declined a bit and I'd cut back on my spending, I had the misfortune of being faced down by an angrily-snorting store manager and slapped on the back of the head as I walked away. Extortion, I believe it's called? Should've had the police look into that one. :facepalm:

Wait, what? You have to give some details here. How old were you, what was the situation and why on earth would you let someone lay their hands on you and not report it?

I have a recent rude Bed & Breakfast in Nashville experience that I just posted on Yelp. The owner was a "spoon"

http://www.yelp.com/biz/12-south-inn-suites-nashville?hrid=A2K8ulEttEKIcL_sqgu92w#src:self

That was illegal for him to charge your card without you consent, unless you had signed an agreement about being him being able to use it for damages. Also, in a court of law he would have lost as the "damage" was from normal wear and tear from use and not a malicious act. I think people like the owner bank on people not knowing their rights and cave into ignorance of the laws and just pay it out not wanting the head ache. It's good you stood up to him. I wonder how many people have caved though and paid him for the same damaged comforter.

Also, if you pay for a damaged comforter, wouldn't the comforter now be yours? Owner could be putting the comforter back on the bed and charging other people for same damage.

Boy would i love it if some comic shop dweeb tried to slap me in the head.

Wait, what? You have to give some details here. How old were you, what was the situation and why on earth would you let someone lay their hands on you and not report it?

+1. Also, I would say that is assault, not extortion (unless he was trying to take money from you).

Boy would i love it if some comic shop dweeb tried to slapped me in the head.

I think we would all love that!

+1. Also, I would say that is assault, not extortion (unless he was trying to take money from you).

Did the OP lowball the owner on a copy of Rob Liefeld's Fighting American?

The only bad experience I've had at my LCS is the manager highly recommend reading "Chew".

I still haven't forgiven her yet.

You should also hold a grudge against whoever told you that Spider-Woman was worth collecting in HG :baiting: