• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

X-Factor #6

143 posts in this topic

The problem is that there is incredible supply of these types of books. The price is up a lot now because there is a speculation demand spike for the book and people are hoarding it. How many people have a short box full of X-factor 6? I bet it is quite a few.

That level of demand is hard to sustain. People always start looking for the next hot thing. At some point demand drops back to a normal level based on actual interest in the character. The books stop selling at the inflated prices, and start trending down instead of up.

I'm not saying the book is worthless. There is some real demand. There are plenty of people who want to own a copy of it. The problem is that right now there are plenty of people that want to own 10+ copies of it. That will not be sustained, IMO.

For a lot of these copper books, sans ones like ASM 300, and even Mutants 98, it's a hot potato situation. Someone is going to be left holding the bag when the bottom drops out. Add your own cliche. :)

No way. It's one of the new hyper-keys of the Copper Age.

Anybody want to buy a raw copy for the bargain price of tree-fiddy? I'll even throw in a second copy for free! :o

$3.50?? :takeit: both thanks!! :grin:

Shipping will be $346.50. ;)

Well played sir... Well played :golfclap:

I'll pick them up, save the shipping? :blush:

lol Well played!

Wish I could afford my favorite villian Doctor Doom but that will always be out of my reach. Again great book and villian and this book is a key copper age book.

Don't say that. Unless you limit yourself to only the uber-grades, you can do it.

For years FF#5 was my most wanted book. I like higher grade books, but I too cannot afford (or would be willing to) high grade on a book like this. I ended up buying a well presenting raw copy that graded out at 4.0. I saved the entire year up until the Baltimore show and went to the show with a budget of $1100 for a copy. I was able to get a copy for considerably less than that. I didn't buy anything else the entire year up to getting that book. You can get the books, but it just takes discipline.

Move forward a few years and I was able to acquire my AF#15 (a book that I was pretty sure was out of my reach).

It's tough, but you can do it. Never say never and all that.

There have been plenty of notable characters created since 1980:

First... I will mention these four Turtles

Marvel:

ASM Universe:

Venom and to a lesser degree Carnage, Spider-Clone of the week and Spider-man 2099

X-Men Universe:

Deadpool, Apocalypse, Mr. Sinister, Gambit, Cable,

Avengers Centric:

She Hulk, Bucky as the Winter Soldier,

Hellboy, Bone, the Tick, Sin City and Walking Dead franchises should get a nod along with the Crow and Spawn.

Over at DC:

Hush and Killer Croc were notable Batman villains along with Tim Drake and Jason Todd taking over at Robin.

I am also fond of the Valiant characters but no one outside of Valiant readers really know who they are. For the most part the above mentioned characters have a wider range of recognition due to mainstream multimedia exposure.

DC:

Bane

Black Mask

Cyborg

Deathstroke/Slade Wilson

Killer Croc

Kyle Rayner

Lobo

Mongul

Marvel:

Bishop

Longshot (I liked him)

Omega Red (when done right in a story)

Warpath

Independents:

Abe Sapien

Concrete

Grimjack

Jon Sable

Lobster Johnson

Rocketeer

Xenozoic Tales ('Cadillacs & Dinosaurs' for those that ran across this on TV)

80's and 90's books have quite a few interesting 1st appearances.

Wish I could afford my favorite villian Doctor Doom but that will always be out of my reach. Again great book and villian and this book is a key copper age book.

Don't say that. Unless you limit yourself to only the uber-grades, you can do it.

For years FF#5 was my most wanted book. I like higher grade books, but I too cannot afford (or would be willing to) high grade on a book like this. I ended up buying a well presenting raw copy that graded out at 4.0. I saved the entire year up until the Baltimore show and went to the show with a budget of $1100 for a copy. I was able to get a copy for considerably less than that. I didn't buy anything else the entire year up to getting that book. You can get the books, but it just takes discipline.

Move forward a few years and I was able to acquire my AF#15 (a book that I was pretty sure was out of my reach).

Thanks for that and yes I should not have said never. I dont collect high grade and I usualy go for the raw mid grade books (I am a collector and not really a seller ) so maybe one day i will have enough extra money for a copy. Again thanks.

I would like to thank everyone who bid on my book.

Suck it, you haters.

xoxo

greggy

:applause: (thumbs u

I'll take that money for books I've had for ages all day long :whee:

Suck it, you haters.

xoxo

greggy

The way you romanticize this hobby is truly an inspiration :grin:

Suck it, you haters.

xoxo

greggy

not my fault I have impeccable timing with these books

Suck it, you haters.

xoxo

greggy

not my fault I have impeccable timing with these books

(worship)

Thanks for that and yes I should not have said never. I dont collect high grade and I usualy go for the raw mid grade books (I am a collector and not really a seller ) so maybe one day i will have enough extra money for a copy. Again thanks.

Think about time payments too. That's how I did my AF 15.

I love the character, the comic and the cover. It's overpriced right now just based on the news but... This is a major key because he was such a bad villain during the height of the Xmen's insane popularity of the 90s. So you can take that two ways. 1. There were a ton of young dudes and dudettes who are now adults with nice incomes and may want to pick up this book.

2. There are likely a million or so copies of this book that have been bagged and boarded since day one. Every collector likely has a few copies of this one in a long box in the closet.

Speculators will drive this price up and down many times until the movie hits. I own a few copies but am not adding any more at these levels.

I agree, Copper is here to stay. More gems will be popping every month.

The book came out in 1986

There were X amount of collectors then to buy the book

Is the amount of collectors today more then 1986 or less ?

No, so buy this book over $20 at your own peril

It will be cheaper in 2 years time

If you stick your head in the sand, that's not going to make this go away 2c

Just in time for X-Men Apocalypse movie.

Think about time payments too. That's how I did my AF 15.

+1

X-Factor #6 sold for $655 on the last comic link auction :o

Are these the speculators at work?

Well, them or the eejits amongst us.

POS comic worth nowt two months ago, POS comic worth nowt in two months.

But you just can't stop the monkeys. :/

Give me a break. $655 is nuts, but Apocalypse has been a major player and popular villain for 25 :censored: years.

Are you just being an elitist or are you just upset that you have none in stock to sell?

Yeah he's a major villain and I'm still amazed at how many people don't know anything about him (shrug)

Nick is no villain,he is a great stand up guy! :angel:

Agreed.

People can keep shouting "This is a key book!" all they want, but that won't make it so. :frustrated:

I'd argue that most Keys distinguish themselves organically -- NM87, NM98, UXM266 -- through a story/character with active, long-term popularity.

A movie might move the price of specific books, but when the movie hype is gone, the book will settle back down (Batman #497).

A key will remain a key long after the movie has come and gone.

This is one of those books that started the "1st appearance of xxxx" wave that's going on right now.

This is no more a key than UXM 244, UXM 282/283, X-Factor 24 or X-Force 11.

Anyone paying a premium for these books is :screwy:

As a side note, I fit the profile for the typical buyer for this book.

I read the X-titles as a kid growing up in the 80's & early 90's and am now at a point where I can go back and spend some disposable income on nostalgia.

There is NO way I'd spend $100+, much less $300+ on this book.

There's too many in too good condition to warrant it.