• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

comic connect auction thoughts

345 posts in this topic

It looks like the TEC 35 will go for a princely sum.

I wanted to go for that one too but stopped at 7.5K. Will wait for another turn.

A pricely sum indeed, but I'm so pleased to finally get a copy :takeit:

and a # 36 from CL the day before as well :applause:

I wanted to go for that one too but stopped at 7.5K. Will wait for another turn.

Sweet ! You gonna have the 36 resubbed ?

Sorry I made you pay so high on the 35 :foryou:

What do you guys think of the 1.8 going for $5,600?

Some bidders are outspoken about how they don't like tape. Could have had a factor.

Especially when that tape is used to reattach a completely split cover. My understanding is that copy would not get a 1.8 under CGCs new tape guidelines.

Seems to me the book is really a 1.0, perhaps one that presents fairly well, but still a 1.0

:applause:

Some bidders are outspoken about how they don't like tape. Could have had a factor.

Especially when that tape is used to reattach a completely split cover. My understanding is that copy would not get a 1.8 under CGCs new tape guidelines.

Seems to me the book is really a 1.0, perhaps one that presents fairly well, but still a 1.0

And then that makes it a $5K per point book. :D

I'm concluding Comicconnect must be a great place to sell a key book, but it sure isn't a great place to buy. I bid a book up so high it would have made me regret it if I won it. The 3 minute delay is great for sellers wanting to squeeze every possible dollar they can get, but certainly not good for the buyer who has to sweat through seemingly endless 3 minute bid-extensions.

I'm sure the deep-poketed bidders aren't phased by this one bit, but

I'm not going to waste my time trying to win books there again (shrug)

I'm concluding Comicconnect must be a great place to sell a key book, but it sure isn't a great place to buy. I bid a book up so high it would have made me regret it if I won it. The 3 minute delay is great for sellers wanting to squeeze every possible dollar they can get, but certainly not good for the buyer who has to sweat through seemingly endless 3 minute bid-extensions.

I placed my bid an hour before the listing ended and went to play tennis. Won the book for less than my max, and didn't have to sweat the 3 minute extensions.

mar2.1405a.jpg

When an affordable copy of a classic cover like this comes around [especially a blue label one] people will pay aggressively because they might not get another chance to get another copy for a few years. Definitely a favorite of mine. :cloud9:

I placed my bid an hour before the listing ended and went to play tennis. Won the book for less than my max, and didn't have to sweat the 3 minute extensions.

Sometimes you just get lucky. (thumbs u

What kinda miffed me was even though I was the high bidder, as soon as I upped the bid I added 3 minutes to the countdown. Why is that if I am the high bidder already? That's only designed to alert others that max has been raised, since they can see the bid increment wasn't effected. I was kind of surprised by this.

When I'm high bidder and up my max in a Comiclink or Heritage auction, there's not indication to other bidders that I've raised my max. I think that's how I win auctions sometimes - the other bidders keep nickel-and-diming the bids and eventually get frustrated when they can't surpass my max. But if they see the time extended without the bid increment raising, a smart bidder will know the high bidder is upping his max, and it may indicate they were getting close to surpassing it. That's what I feel happened last night, but it's not a certainly.

What is is I lost (shrug)

I did want to talk for a moment about the WW1 7.5.

I certainly understand it was a good looking book, and I am not trying to make any comment about the quality or even the price value of the book.

But, IMO, buying a book - for a 9.0 price - when the book looks like a 9.0, but is graded a 7.5, seems VERY risky, especially when it looks like a 9.0 only in Internet photos.

(I've certainly received books in the mail, after winning in auction, that looked in pictures much higher than the grade, only to realize, with book in hand, that the flaws are more evident and the book now appears just as graded. I paid prices in line with GPA for the assigned grade, BTW.)

I'm not sure how anyone justifies paying 9.0 prices for a 7.5 book, based on seeing pictures that suggest the book might be a 9.0....

... I know many of you do it - you're braver (and more of a gambler) than I am...

... or perhaps the reality is that WW1 is on the rise, much like AS8 jumped last year...

I viewed this book less as a 7.5 and more as the Denver copy. Warranted a premium IMO

Rick,

I have no issue with a premium for a book, and I'm happy to pay 10%, maybe on-rare-occassion 20% more for a book that looks good (that I want, of course) ...

... but paying not that far from 2X your own estimate of FMV for the book (not that far from 2 x $25K) seems like more than a premium to me...

Although I'll openly admit to my personal investment in this outcome, I can't help but feel this a statement of both a good looking copy, and a rise in value for WW1...

WW1 is still undervalued, no doubt. Clink recently sold a 7.5 for 25k I believe

This book likely won't be in higher holder... I believe its cgc potential has been maximized. That said , buy the book, not the grade.

I vaguely remember a WW1 with that store date stamp on it selling for 17k? It was a 7.5. It was about 4-5 months ago. I didn't bid for the sole purpose of that store stamp.

I remember buying a copy of MMC9 from metro...it was a cgc 1.8 and it cost me 5800 (in 2007) and I was only too happy to pay that to get a copy!

and roy remembers when 5.0's were an "easy" sell at 25K....

I think I got my 6.0 Larson for less than that a few years ago via heritage, and then sold for basically my cost, because the book had stagnated at the time (like most low/mid grade MMC)... maybe they are trying to make a comeback (shrug)

might have missed it or its in a different thread but did anyone see what the coverless Pep 22 went for? I did see that it hit its reserve

$7400. I was the underbidder.

I think the reserve must have been $7000, but I'm not sure. I was actually kind of relieved I didn't win it. I knew it wouldn't be a cheap book, but I didn't think it would go as high it did.

It was a very annoying auction. The book was first listed with no reserve then all bids were cancelled and it restarted with a reserve, which turned out to be quite a high one.

Is this the copy that Sparkle City sold on eBay for $4300 last September?