• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

comic connect auction thoughts

345 posts in this topic

Filter has a cgc 3.5 sig series Cap 1 in the FS section. I wonder how important psychology comes into play in the auction format to increase prices in a bidding war. I think it is safe to say that if the taped up cgc 2.5 cap 1 has a fair market value of $40k (its sale price in the cc auction) then this much better looking, higher graded sig copy should easily fetch 50k, filters asking price. Similar with the Wonder Woman 1 cgc 8.0 wp in the FS forum where the seller is asking LESS THAN the final price of the cgc 7.5 in the cc auction. If these were in the auction you would think they would both have gone higher than the boards asking price.

Truth be told, that is why I prefer buying from the Boards, friends, and at shows. Always give and get good deals that way.

Auctions are like the terminator, they can't be bargained with. they can't be reasoned with. they don't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And they absolutely will not stop, ever, until the bidding is done.

Filter has a cgc 3.5 sig series Cap 1 in the FS section. I wonder how important psychology comes into play in the auction format to increase prices in a bidding war. I think it is safe to say that if the taped up cgc 2.5 cap 1 has a fair market value of $40k (its sale price in the cc auction) then this much better looking, higher graded sig copy should easily fetch 50k, filters asking price. Similar with the Wonder Woman 1 cgc 8.0 wp in the FS forum where the seller is asking LESS THAN the final price of the cgc 7.5 in the cc auction. If these were in the auction you would think they would both have gone higher than the boards asking price.

Truth be told, that is why I prefer buying from the Boards, friends, and at shows. Always give and get good deals that way.

Auctions are like the terminator, they can't be bargained with. they can't be reasoned with. they don't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And they absolutely will not stop, ever, until the bidding is done.

Entirely true. They even say, "Give me your clothes."

Entirely true. They even say, "Give me your clothes."

And depending on what is being sold "I'll be back"

again and again and again.....

Sub-mariner Comics 32 :cloud9:

Thunda 1 :cloud9:

....GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Great minds think alike (thumbs u

Score :acclaim:

..... looks like a greater mind outbid me on both lol .....GOD BLESS...

Sub-mariner 32 ....... $ 2525

Thunda 1.................$ 2272

....totally forgot to bid on the one I really wanted..... JIUW 32 (CGC 8.0) @ less than $ 300 :sorry:

I think I bid the SMC#32 up to $2,400 but didn't want to take it further.

As the fellow attempting to sell the WW1 8.0 (on the boards) for less than WW1 7.5 (sold on CC), I can tell you what I'm getting as feedback from folks I'm PMing with:

"I'm interested.... Give me some time to think about it... [a few hours later] I'm going to hold off for now, waiting to see if that price for the 7.5 is an anomaly or an indication of future prices."

I think that's the problem with "trying to go after the underbidder." After everyone has had some time to catch their breath with the auction's end, they want to see if the auction prices are an indication of auction fever or a statement of the new pricing reality.

it seems the reverse is also true though. I was an under bidder on a few books but I knew a few people holding comparable or slightly lower grade copies, I made some very strong offers that were declined because of the record auction prices.

As the fellow attempting to sell the WW1 8.0 (on the boards) for less than WW1 7.5 (sold on CC), I can tell you what I'm getting as feedback from folks I'm PMing with:

"I'm interested.... Give me some time to think about it... [a few hours later] I'm going to hold off for now, waiting to see if that price for the 7.5 is an anomaly or an indication of future prices."

I think that's the problem with "trying to go after the underbidder." After everyone has had some time to catch their breath with the auction's end, they want to see if the auction prices are an indication of auction fever or a statement of the new pricing reality.

Will you put it on comicconnect if it does not sell on the boards? Maybe the boards constitute a minority of collectors who would have an interest in a book like that.

Will you put it on comicconnect if it does not sell on the boards? Maybe the boards constitute a minority of collectors who would have an interest in a book like that.

I'm not an auction kind-of-a-guy. I'm more of a private sale sort of person.... Meaning I don't like the risk of an auction, and would rather sell to someone on the boards, where overall there's a feeling of trust - an Adam or a Rick sort-of-guy. (You see Adam and Rick, you've become archetypes!)

I don't need to sell the book, and I do think it'll be a six figure book in 6 years (of course, I'll openly admit my WW bias). IMHO, with only 1 9.0 and 2 8.5 (if memory serves me), this is perhaps the 4th nicest copy out there -- if PQ is a key criteria for you.

As an underbidder on the ww1 Denver, i was interested at the 35k + price range strictly because it was the Denver copy. A normal 7.5 is a 25k ish book as established by the last 3-4 public/private sales. Just my opinion, your mileage may vary

I might pay low 30s for an 8.0 but I value the Denver much higher than the avg 8.0

Sub-mariner Comics 32 :cloud9:

Thunda 1 :cloud9:

....GOD BLESS...

Great minds think alike (thumbs u

Score :acclaim:

..... looks like a greater mind outbid me on both lol .....GOD BLESS...

Sub-mariner 32 ....... $ 2525

Thunda 1.................$ 2272

....totally forgot to bid on the one I really wanted..... JIUW 32 (CGC 8.0) @ less than $ 300 :sorry:

I think I bid the SMC#32 up to $2,400 but didn't want to take it further.

It certainly looked strong for the grade. GOD BLESS...

There is a huge difference between the boards and any auction as the 2.5 cap 1 proved. It was offered here at least as low as 32500 and didn't sell, then sell for 5K more a month or so later.

The other issue is the boards are only a tiny and I mean tiny part of the hobby especially when looking at the really high end books. I know several people that buy stuff when they are offered it but are not actively looking at auctions in any way. As has also been mentioned some people prefer the quite private sale.

Lastly, I think with so many record prices for books across may grade many people will wait for the next copies to come along and see if it can be maintained. There is also the quick flip people to watch for and we has seen in the past that people have gotten hurt on the regrade buys.

James G

There is a huge difference between the boards and any auction as the 2.5 cap 1 proved. It was offered here at least as low as 32500 and didn't sell, then sell for 5K more a month or so later.

The other issue is the boards are only a tiny and I mean tiny part of the hobby especially when looking at the really high end books. I know several people that buy stuff when they are offered it but are not actively looking at auctions in any way. As has also been mentioned some people prefer the quite private sale.

Lastly, I think with so many record prices for books across may grade many people will wait for the next copies to come along and see if it can be maintained. There is also the quick flip people to watch for and we has seen in the past that people have gotten hurt on the regrade buys.

James G

In between the board offering and the auction, the new Cap film made 700 million in world box office and ensured the character is now ensconced among the franchise giants.

James G

In between the board offering and the auction, the new Cap film made 700 million in world box office and ensured the character is now ensconced among the franchise giants.

and after speaking with the owner of the 2.5, his plan was to take advantage of the cap2 movie hype. Timing is everything.

This question stood out for me - I've had 3 higher-grade Golden Age Wonder Woman listed on Comiclink for weeks now, and I keep getting these low-ball offers. I even posted a link to the listing here on the boards, thinking I would catch the attention of a GA Wonder Woman collector - but still the low-ball offers persist.

Last night on Heritage's Sunday auction a CGC 6.5 OW/W copy of Wonder Woman sold for close to $600 with the BP. That's just $200 then my asking price for a CGC 8.5 W copy i have listed on Comiclink.

Like someone said earlier, a lot of trades occur off the auction sites and we here on these message boards are really in the minority when it comes to the total number that constitutes the collecting community.

A lot of the books in this last auction, had an offer that with a 20% deposit. A winning bidder could pay over six months, without interest.

But then those offers suddenly disappeared. Before the auctions were over.

Is that how the rest of you remember it? Or am I wrong with my own memory?

A lot of the books in this last auction, had an offer that with a 20% deposit. A winning bidder could pay over six months, without interest.

But then those offers suddenly disappeared. Before the auctions were over.

Is that how the rest of you remember it? Or am I wrong with my own memory?

I remember the offers appearing even on some books that seemed likely to close at relatively low prices. I didn't pay enough attention to remember which books they were. I think many (most?) of the John Wise books had that offer attached to them.