• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

And...another one!

20 posts in this topic

Check this one out, local Cleveland ad:

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/clt/4500951384.html

"We know nothing about comic books"

"Donated to us"

"We don't have a lot of time..."

"Have a blessed day".

Sigh...I really get sick and tired of people trying to rip your hard earned money right out of your wallet! Oh, and have a blessed day, right after I scam the sheet outta ya!

Could be a scam, might not be. See if you can meet them at their store.

There was a furniture store out here owned by a drug rehabilitation halfway house, all the employees were inpatient volunteers. I don't know exactly how, but they got their hands on a comic collection that they sold out of the furniture store, and they were willing to bargain. I picked up about 100 comics from them, they would probably have given me the rest for free, but I didn't want them. I pulled about 20 somewhat valuable $5-$20 comics out and handed them to the store manager and said those ones might be worth listing on eBay. The rest was bargain bin stuff. I took all the BA sword and sorcery comics they had, left the super heroes behind.

Yeah I wouldn't do business through mail or anything. But they mentioned a thrift store, if they actually own the thrift store then I'd think it's pretty legit. Could still be stolen comics though, even if the thrift store is unknowingly selling stolen goods.

I don't believe that someone donated at minimum several hundreds of dollars' worth of graded comics just like that without educating the new owners. "You smell that? Smells like... scam."

I don't know about this specific case, but in general its not as uncommon as you think.

Someone dies, some aggrieved relatives just donates everything, either because they don't have the time, or they're too sad, or too lazy to sell.

OR they don't have relatives and everything is donated, or sold ultra cheap.

Well, just for giggles, I did contact them, he called me back today. The story is much as Revat said, as far as the donation aspect. Okay, fine so far. I asked them to take a picture of the book (or books), with a current newspaper with today's date, as they are in Florida. They will do that and get back to me (supposedly).

They will send Cash On Delivery if we do this. Apparently, I get the package, inspect the contents, make sure it is what it is, then I pay. Have never used this service, but that certainly doesn't sound right. What's the downside to me?

The fact that they are in Fla and posted this on craigslist in Cleveland sends up all kinds of crazy red flags for me.

It has been YEARS since I've done CoD. Is there a deposit made by the shipper? Can you inspect before accepting the package, or does payment have to be made before acceptance?

Well, just for giggles, I did contact them, he called me back today. The story is much as Revat said, as far as the donation aspect. Okay, fine so far. I asked them to take a picture of the book (or books), with a current newspaper with today's date, as they are in Florida. They will do that and get back to me (supposedly).

They will send Cash On Delivery if we do this. Apparently, I get the package, inspect the contents, make sure it is what it is, then I pay. Have never used this service, but that certainly doesn't sound right. What's the downside to me?

I didn't know that COD deliveries still existed.

Sounds like a win to me.

Negotiate a price, and have them pack them up, and send them out.

No you cannot accept before arrival. UPS guy knocks on door, you answer. "Hi I have a package for you COD (Collect on delivery) It will be $4500. You hand him a credit card or cash (depending on the terms of the service) he THEN hands you the package. He will NOT hand over the package beforehand. They will attempt to collect the money three times, if they don't get it they send the package back to shipper.

No you cannot accept before arrival. UPS guy knocks on door, you answer. "Hi I have a package for you COD (Collect on delivery) It will be $4500. You hand him a credit card or cash (depending on the terms of the service) he THEN hands you the package. He will NOT hand over the package beforehand. They will attempt to collect the money three times, if they don't get it they send the package back to shipper.

In that case

HELLLLLLL NOOOOOOOOOO

I think its definitely a scam. I contacted these people once before, and they would only accept Wal-Mart's payment method (whatever that is). They told me they wouldn't accept paypal because they have been scammed before by it. When I told them I could pick up the books locally, they stopped responding to my emails.

100% scam. These same people posted another ad for a GSXM1 and an X94 along with others and were only asking $125. I contacted them and they refused to take PayPal. They wanted me to use Wal Mart payments, which is essentially Western Union.

I talked to the guy who claimed he was very religious and his wife had a hearing problem. They're based out of Florida. The guy gave me his residential address, so while I had him on the phone I asked him to describe his residence and what kind of car he drove. I was looking it up on Google Maps and it wasn't even close. He made the excuse that the images aren't always updated but this image was taken fairly recently.

I forgot his last name, but his wife's first name was Alexandria. A Google search turned up a CL ad warning that she had ripped someone off for $50 and was a thief. They post these ads everywhere except for the area they live in. Avoid.

100% scam. These same people posted another ad for a GSXM1 and an X94 along with others and were only asking $125. I contacted them and they refused to take PayPal. They wanted me to use Wal Mart payments, which is essentially Western Union.

I talked to the guy who claimed he was very religious and his wife had a hearing problem. They're based out of Florida. The guy gave me his residential address, so while I had him on the phone I asked him to describe his residence and what kind of car he drove. I was looking it up on Google Maps and it wasn't even close. He made the excuse that the images aren't always updated but this image was taken fairly recently.

I forgot his last name, but his wife's first name was Alexandria. A Google search turned up a CL ad warning that she had ripped someone off for $50 and was a thief. They post these ads everywhere except for the area they live in. Avoid.

Thanks, I kind of figured. The main reason for me posting this, and actually contacting the guy, was so I can tell the story in the hopes this will save someone reading this some time, heartache, and money!