• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WWJD - trade up from Hulk 181 to AF15?

47 posts in this topic

WWJD= What Would Jason Do and Jason would sell the Hulk 181 every single day for a nice AF 15. AF 15 is the Tec 27/Action 1 of the Silver Age. Hulk 181 isn't even the biggest Bronze book. Star Wars 1 (35 cent variant) is.

Jason, really SW 35 cent, how about the Iron First 14 35 cent variant?

With a board name of Vader2001 and you ask a question like this? And now young Vader2001 you will diii.....smiley-sw022.gif

Just FYI I am stealing that emoticon! smiley-sw022.gif

Curses! Exit stage left.......smiley-sw024.gif

Travel back in time ten years, sell the IH181 and buy 5 or 6 solid mid-grade AF 15s with the money.

So let me get this straight, you have a time machine and your plan is to go back ten total years to make a profit...

If you mean in terms of investment, neither seems more compelling than the other. Both are as liquid as you could ask for. So just go with whichever one you would rather own.

I respectfully disagree. Mid-grade AF 15 beats out High-grade IH 181 any day in terms of "investment" (if there is such a thing with comics, better to call it speculation).

Growth curve trends and character popularity alone has Spidey defeating Wolvie 2 to 1. That isn't even taking into consideration many other factors...

If you mean in terms of investment, neither seems more compelling than the other. Both are as liquid as you could ask for. So just go with whichever one you would rather own.

I respectfully disagree. Mid-grade AF 15 beats out High-grade IH 181 any day in terms of "investment" (if there is such a thing with comics, better to call it speculation).

Growth curve trends and character popularity alone has Spidey defeating Wolvie 2 to 1. That isn't even taking into consideration many other factors...

Mid-grade AF15s haven't really done much since 2008-09 . They're not hard to find, you just need the money. They might be consolidating and getting ready for another run but lower grade are really the ones that have moved up more recently. When the most common advice is always "Buy the best AF15 you can afford, it's the ultimate blue chip" I can't help but be skeptical, but maybe I'm jaded by stock market advice.

WWJD= What Would Jason Do and Jason would sell the Hulk 181 every single day for a nice AF 15. AF 15 is the Tec 27/Action 1 of the Silver Age. Hulk 181 isn't even the biggest Bronze book. Star Wars 1 (35 cent variant) is.

That is not an apples to apples comparison. :sumo:

-J.

True, mid grade AF15s do come up regularly. The one on CC is up to $14.5K with about a day and a half....think it will go over my stop price.

Mid grades are doing just fine. A 5.5 recently sold on comic link for $20k. Comic link sales are not reported by GPA. I wouldn't be surprised if the one on comic connect pushed that number as well.

-J.

Last few I followed on CLink....I didn't see the 5.5 going for $20K...must have missed it.

Item Condition Final Bid Starts Ends

AF #15 CGC 5.0 VGF $14,251 4/10/2014 4/22/2014

AF #15 CGC 6.0 FN $17,500 10/9/2013 10/22/2013

AF #15 CGC 6.5 FN+ $24,001 1/8/2014 1/21/2014

True, mid grade AF15s do come up regularly. The one on CC is up to $14.5K with about a day and a half....think it will go over my stop price.

Mid grades are doing just fine. A 5.5 recently sold on comic link for $20k. Comic link sales are not reported by GPA. I wouldn't be surprised if the one on comic connect pushed that number as well.

-J.

I bid on them so I can track their final sales price...as many do.

Comic link doesn't report it's sales to GP...

:whistle:

My heart would beat funny also....but I can't help myself sometimes...YOLO. :)

My heart would beat funny if I put $20k in a AF15 midgrade

Last few I followed on CLink....I didn't see the 5.5 going for $20K...must have missed it.

Item Condition Final Bid Starts Ends

AF #15 CGC 5.0 VGF $14,251 4/10/2014 4/22/2014

AF #15 CGC 6.0 FN $17,500 10/9/2013 10/22/2013

AF #15 CGC 6.5 FN+ $24,001 1/8/2014 1/21/2014

-J.

All three of those AF 15 auction results on comic link were unusually low because all three of those copies had really bad eye appeal with loads of marvel chipping. The 5.5 was a gorgeous copy that was boardie owned and was sold on comic link's exchange. Other recent notable sales are the nice presenting 6.0 on ebay that sold for 25k, as well as a 6.5 that another boardie sold for $35k. Dealers are stocking up and raising their prices on AF 15s across all grade spectrums. A 0.5 also recently sold a hair under $5k. This book remains hot in pretty much all grades.

-J.

I would sell the IH 181 and buy the best raw copy of AF 15 you could.
Why raw?

Because you can get a better deal.

Look, I wouldn't buy it from just anyone. But a reputable dealer who would be able to guarantee that it wasn't restored (though not guarantee grade). You'd then be buying the book, and not the grade.

Why raw?

Look, I wouldn't buy it from just anyone. But a reputable dealer who would be able to guarantee that it wasn't restored (though not guarantee grade). You'd then be buying the book, and not the grade.

To each his own, but I would never, ever, ever buy a book of that caliber raw. Reputable dealer or otherwise. It was all the "reputable dealers" back in the day that were selling books as "unrestored" when they in fact were, that made CGC relevant in the first place. I would rather buy a slabbed book from a stranger than a raw book from anyone, including a dealer. But that's just me.

-J.

Why raw?

To each his own, but I would never, ever, ever buy a book of that caliber raw. Reputable dealer or otherwise. It was all the "reputable dealers" back in the day that were selling books as "unrestored" when they in fact were, that made CGC relevant in the first place. I would rather buy a slabbed book from a stranger than a raw book from anyone, including a dealer. But that's just me.

-J.

There are good dealers out there who will honor a return on restored. Prior to buying an FF#5 I told the dealer that I was going to have it graded and wanted to be able to return it if it came back purple label. I'd be out the grading fee, but I'd get the book price back. No problems.

Just set that expectation up front.

There are good dealers out there who will honor a return on restored. Prior to buying an FF#5 I told the dealer that I was going to have it graded and wanted to be able to return it if it came back purple label. I'd be out the grading fee, but I'd get the book price back. No problems.

That's what I mean. I'm sure there are plenty of good dealers out there who are more than willing to put their reputation to the test by giving you a refund if it's a purple.

That's what I mean. I'm sure there are plenty of good dealers out there who are more than willing to put their reputation to the test by giving you a refund if it's a purple.

Why go through the trouble ? Most dealers are pricing books like AF 15 as if they are slabbed anyway nowadays. There really isn't that much of a discount, and at the end of the day I always wonder what a dealer is doing selling a raw copy for anyway instead of just going ahead and slabbing it so that he can justify his grading/restoration guarantee price point.

-J.