• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Fantasy #15 can you spare a grade? plus hulk as well

52 posts in this topic

While the inconsistent production quality in the early 60s make impossible to be certain from the images, both those books look likely to be trimmed at the least, the Hulk especially, when compared to images of other copies.

Amazing deals do come along sometimes, even from sources one would think should have a better idea of the value, but if these books are what the seller indicates it's a lot to hope that will still be available at that price in August.

You'll have to excuse me, though, for thinking there is the strong smell of steer manure about this deal.

Certainly, but how many chances do you get to follow up on leads like this and be the first? Certainly worth calling in sick and flying up there. imho

Then let me ask you this cause I really do value everyone's input. How much would you pay on something if perhaps trimmed. Is there such a thing as having a seller sign a disclosure that if the item is restored then a refund in order. Cause I dont want to be hosed on this deal. For sure I want the af#15 but if its restored then im a bit hesitant on the purchase of it. As soon as I get further pics im going to post them here so I can get y'all professional opinion. Rhank you so much for all the input so far.

Sorry let me clarify, the third store he is opening is a parts store with his brother. He is getting me some scans of the comic tonight. Thank you again for the info.

I'd just tell him to hold it pending scans (though you might not be able to spot resto from scans). And read up the threads about restoration checks. Buy a portable black light from eBay. Or as you mention, pay a comic-book buddy to go up with you.

And stop giving out information about the seller in case someone swoops in. :) You did make sure that your original images didn't hold any GPS data right?

Ok I am being paranoid. :P

It just makes no sense. The guy works in the industry. If the books were unrestored, he'd have them slabbed and out the door for 100k plus. With people lining up to give him the money at that.

Right! too many red flags on this one. :eek:

I agree i will definitely let yall know what happens, if it is a restored af #15 and a hulk #1 is there a certain price i should rebuttal with or just skip them all together and enjoy my time up there with my little lady.

I agree and I think my over zealous is getting the best of me, I too have asked my self is this too good to be true..one of the reason im waiting till august is my company is laying me off on june 30th. I do have a job lined up but I cant take time off till august to fly up there. Yeah and me saying the ff turned out nice means it looks great or better then what the pictures I saw. So when I got the book it looks fantastic to me. my horrible luck its too good to be true. It probably is.

Sounds like that is very sticky situation. It looks too good to me but it is too suspicious to me. If a person is in 60's or 70's and is the original owner, it may be too true to get both books at the incredible prices.

Why wait? He should have known both books will be far fetched price than his asked prices. Hulk #1 and AF #15 are the most popular books that are intended to be read frequently so the conditions of the books always get heavy wears.

How did you find it out? Through Craiglist?

Have you questioned him about his age? Asked him where he bought at. Anything else you can question him until you feel this is authentic or not.

Hopefully you are not falling for it.

Just compared the IH#1 to the copies available at ComicLink, as I too am looking for a decent IH#1. By no means, I can cal myself an expert :acclaim: compared to all the folks here, but I wonder if in some past there may have been some trimming on the top and/or the bottom. There is little space above the upper characters (ind.) AND a large part of the toes is missing. Both seem to be quite common, but maybe not so much within a single copy.

I suggest getting better pictures, at least the straight view of each(no big angle), including the rear covers.

I'd expect to find some kind of restoration, and research what likely values are for PLOD 8.0's for each book, and similar grades. Don't go up there with actual cash, use any kind of bank cashiers check etc, which they can cash quickly after you have signed it(there).

It does sound fishy, but if it keeps looking promising, do not wait. Do what you have to, and see them in person with a trusted friend, quickly. Good luck, and be careful. Regards,

I am trying so hard to remain positive about this.....but if it is all true,then restored or not I would beg borrow plead and throw tantrums to get enough money to fly down tomorrow and buy those two comics.I really do hope it is all not just some riverboat fantasy you and I and all else are riding the waves on.Hello,I would have started on the ankle express down there the moment I was offered this deal.I hope it is true.I hope my leg is not being pulled.I hope a magic genie comes my way and offers me all of adamstranges comics in exact atomic reproduction(so they are real,but he loses nothing), I hope with all the powers of a porcupine this turns out legit.Positively wish this once upon a time is just not some fairy tale.

God bless and may the force be with us all.

"hey man, I'll sell you this $50,000 for $9,000, I totally didn't print it myself."

Where do you find these people that have ultra high grade super keys and somehow don't know how to sell them? Did he find them in the walls of his house or lose all access to the internet since he bought them?