• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NUMBER OF ACCEPTABLE FLAWS/DEFECTS in Grades 9.8 / 9.9 / 10

Number of Acceptable Flaws NM/MT 9.8  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Number of Acceptable Flaws NM/MT 9.8

24 posts in this topic

How many flaws/defects do you think is permissible per grade tier (9.8 / 9.9 / 10)

Additional comments or discussions are welcomed and appreciated.

According to Overstreet Comic Book Grading Guide (OCBGG)

9.8 (NM/MT Near Mint/Mint) = 1 to 2 allowable flaws/defects only subtle bindery/printing defects, no bindery tears permitted. Small, inconspicuous dates/initials are allowed.

9.9 (MT Mint) = 1 allowable flaw/defect of only subtle bindery/printing defects, no bindery tears permitted. Small, inconspicuous dates/initials are allowed.

10 (GM Gem Mint) = 0 allowable flaws/defects with the exception of only the slightest, most imperceptible bindery/printing defects.

And does the age (Gold/Silver/Bronze etc.) of the book matter when determining these defects/flaws and permissible quantities per?

Suggested Allowable Defects from OCBGG (Third Edition)

YYysQRb.jpg

Interesting Poll Idea. I like it! Also interesting that a 9.9 is allowed "Small, inconspicuous dates/initials are allowed."

Never knew that.

-Kystix

To me age shouldn't matter... the book should be graded right along every other book. It's current state is it's current state...

I agree that age shouldn't matter when it comes to grading. It is what it is or as you have eloquently put it - It's current state is it's current state...

For the number of allowable defects I feel that the grading is a bit too tight.

My reasoning on this basically comes down to the fact that nothing is truly "perfect" and therefore we should be permitting more allowable defects - but not to any extreme.

My 2c

I wanted to throw some other questions around for debate as well, if I may - and please let's be polite! :o

First Question:

Are nearly imperceptible defects/flaws still not defects/flaws? (shrug)

And honestly what does "nearly imperceptible" really mean in terms grading? What I see but you don't is "nearly imperceptible" or vice versa? As seen by the naked eye or through a image enhancing piece of equipment?

I think the grades which have become customary with CGC go too much into detail.

To me, a 9.8 means a Mint book, 10 does not make sense.

Personally I just have either NM or M, mostly, it either falls in one category or the other. More or less I consider a 9.6 (NM+) 9.8 (MN/MT) Mint as much as a 10… and NM+ is the highest grade, otherwise I’d be afraid to handle the book… lol

According to the graders on the forum here :

10 - none

9.9 - none

9.8 - none

9.6 - none

9.4 - none

:)

Peace,

Chip

:roflmao:

Joking apart I can see why you say that, but I really appreciate everyones views and opinions on this forum, even if reviewed with a more critical lense and it certainly helps inform me which books I should actually submit. I generally get a much better result when I submitted books, so don't mind the harsh grading...

This is great poll btw.

When I grade I generally use the rule that a 9.6 has the one small flaw that I can see, whereas the 9.8 has the one small flaw I can't see.

Peace,

Chip

If you can't see that one small flaw, how do you know it's there? lol

But seriously, perfection exists as an abstraction of our minds, but is not attainable in the physical world. It has a paradoxical answer if we attempt to apply its conceptual formalization to a material reality. And therefore to believe that a Gem Mint 10 book is truly perfect is a fallacy.

It is for this reason that I believe the number of acceptable flaws/defects graph/scale that is published in the OCBGG requires some slight adjustment as does our way of perceiving 9.8, 9.9 and 10 CGC grades in our comic books.

This is where the "imperceptible" and "nearly imperceptible" flaws and defects come into play. If perfection truly does not exist then imperceptible flaws must be present in a Gem Mint 10 book. What are the number of imperceptible flaws or defects for this grade and by definition what are they? And so forth for 9.8 and 9.9. You can then also define and attribute perceptible flaws and defects and at what quantity and grade level are the acceptable and apparent?

This is a discussable topic and I would be interested in hearing other opinions?

I personally believe 9.8 is the highest grade. perfect. I know CGC will grade books higher but to me a 9.8 is perfection.

I have 98's and they are perfect

I have 9.6's and there is a very picky little flaw or 2.

Now if I had a 9.9 or 10 and were to crack it open outside CGC office and do a walk in will that book get the same grade.

I'd bet good money it will come out in a 9.8 case

As for allowable defects from OSGG I think that is a good tool to use.

A bit hard to adjust this to work in with CGC grading guides when we do not know what they are as they have never been published.

And when CGC started I had read they got a pool of Overstreet Advisors to do a day of grading so they were able to come up with their guide lines and industry standards.

As the dealers were already basing their grading skills from experience in retailing and using the Overstreet as a guide I think the OSGG is the foundation to how grading is done.

Any tweaking by CGC or any other certified company to those guide lines is any ones guess. 2c