• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do You Mostly Collect What You Read When You Were Young?

60 posts in this topic

I collect what catches my interest now, which is stuff I didn't know existed when I was a kid (mostly French/Belgian comics/bande dessinee or stuff where I dig the art, whatever the age). The only thing that relates to my childhood are the Marvel Young/Shanower Oz series, because I read the books when I was a kid and collect them. But I wouldn't be interested in the comic versions if the art was awful.

Comics were so rare and important to me as a kid and I rarrely got to buy them. Wish I could go back in time and give me a huge stack of SA DC.....

I started reading comics in the mid 60's with Kirby Thor and FF, Romita ASM, Colan Daredevil, Adams and Steranko X-men, Trimpe Hulk, :cloud9: I still love all that stuff but I also must point out that a LOT of reprints were coming out then also..... so what my influences are is kind of blurred. I preferred Ditko ASM, for example, and they were also coming out each month in Marvel Tales. My tastes still vary widely.... as I love a lot of the Pacific / Eclipse stuff from the mid 80's..... the Copper Age really had quite a few shining moments. I collect more 50's pre code horror now ..... it's hard to find in decent shape so I get plenty of time to raise funds for the few that turn up. I also like many of the modern books..... LOVED Claremont's FF run...... and Dark Horse Conan. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I had given up on comics in the 80's thank God my buddy gave me a Watchmen #1....the rest is history.....

For the most part, yes. My favorites were X-Men, Spidey, Batman, and Silver Surfer. . .

There are a few Moderns I've added, and some new characters that I have discovered, but the only other things I've added are Silver Age and Golder Age books.

I started reading in the early 70's and I'm still fond of those and Silver age books. I collect books from various ages. I would say that better than 60 % of my books are now Image and indies and that number is growing. I haven't bought a Marvel book since they announced the end of a Superior Spider-man. I buy a few Vertigo titles and Lemire's Green Arrow.

I buy lots of Image stuff every month. I've added a few Oni, Boom, and other small companies in the last couple of years. I think it has to do with the fact that the big 2 have kept telling the same old stories for too long and there is just no chance of anything bad having any lasting effects. Someone dies, they come back to life. Someone gets broken, they put them back together. They attempt to be serious but don't do serious things.

In indies, if someone gets hurt/killed, they stay that way and this creates suspense. If your main character loses a hand, it has consequences that last throughout the series. I don't just look for the negatives but it is nice to read a book that has strong but ultimately vulnerable heroes.

I hope the big 2 develop new characters and ideas but they just seem to be stuck in a loop. So until they break free of it, I'm going to continue to try new stuff.

Yep it's hard to care about a character when you know they can't die, be maimed etc

It's like yawn big deal

I buy lots of Image stuff every month. I've added a few Oni, Boom, and other small companies in the last couple of years. I think it has to do with the fact that the big 2 have kept telling the same old stories for too long and there is just no chance of anything bad having any lasting effects. Someone dies, they come back to life. Someone gets broken, they put them back together.

"Avengers assemble" is their moonlighting job when S.H.I.E.L.D. is slow, putting broken superheroes back together (not my joke, I stole it from Texts From Superheroes). But I've noticed the same thing, and it's one reason I'm not too into a lot of the comic book storylines. They're like soap operas. Superman died, but then a couple of weeks later a new superhero came along, and then it turned out that he was actually Superman with amnesia. But wait...it wasn't actually Superman, it was the lovechild from his tryst with She-Hulk from that other dimension when they went time traveling. But it's okay, because the real Superman IS actually alive, he's just been writing his memoirs and will now come out of hiding because it only took him a week with his super speed typing and editing skills. And this is the 40th time he's died. This era.

They should kill off every single hero and start completely from scratch....

I buy lots of Image stuff every month. I've added a few Oni, Boom, and other small companies in the last couple of years. I think it has to do with the fact that the big 2 have kept telling the same old stories for too long and there is just no chance of anything bad having any lasting effects. Someone dies, they come back to life. Someone gets broken, they put them back together. They attempt to be serious but don't do serious things.

In indies, if someone gets hurt/killed, they stay that way and this creates suspense. If your main character loses a hand, it has consequences that last throughout the series. I don't just look for the negatives but it is nice to read a book that has strong but ultimately vulnerable heroes.

I hope the big 2 develop new characters and ideas but they just seem to be stuck in a loop. So until they break free of it, I'm going to continue to try new stuff.

That's what I like most about the long-running titles, the sense of it all being a flowing river, that you're checking in on characters who existed before you and will exist long after. And I admire the craft of a writer who can provide the compelling illusion of change without really changing anything. I certainly don't read comic books for realism, after all, and there are a million ways to generate suspense without the threat of death. What doesn't work is when they constantly resort to killing off characters in alternate realities and then just undo it next issue. It's the cheapest gimmick and has no impact.

They should kill off every single hero and start completely from scratch....
Didn't they do that in the Ultimate universe twice so far?

They should just do it every year. Make it a real event lol

I started reading in the early 70's and I'm still fond of those and Silver age books. I collect books from various ages. I would say that better than 60 % of my books are now Image and indies and that number is growing. I haven't bought a Marvel book since they announced the end of a Superior Spider-man. I buy a few Vertigo titles and Lemire's Green Arrow.

This is true for me to.

Anyone else remember the first, second and third comics they ever read?

Hadn't thought about it too much but my collection is a near mirror image of the one I sold in'95.

Also the one I want are the one my dad collected when he was young. A psychologist would be all over that, especially when you throw in the divorce when I was six. lol

What am I trying to replace? hm