• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So I made a mistake on eBay as well (like 1Cool)

208 posts in this topic

Of course take the cancellation.

I would have cancelled it when I found out and relisted.

Yeah.

It sucks you can't edit the title so if you make a mistake there you have to eat the 30 cents and relist.

But I understand - Imagine if people could revise titles they be doing it everyday on items to spam the search engine.

I think he tried to cancel the order but E-Bay does not allow an auction to be cancelled if a bid has been placed (that's why books get one bid and then sit for 6 days). If he would have cancelled the auction it would have gone against his seller score is my understanding of E-Bay rules. He pretty much was stuck between a rock and a hard place once the mistake was made a bid was placed.

Is that something new? I've been selling on Ebay since '97 and if there's an error in my listing I've always been allowed to cancel all bids and end the listing due to an "error in the listing" without any repercussions.

Be careful - if things have gotten heated and he's feeling pissed off, he could just deny the transaction and leave you negative feedback anyway. He's got the position here, he could hang you up on a $176 sale AND leave negative feedback that you could spend time trying to reverse.

Regardless of what people say, just asking Ebay to remove negative feedback, despite proof or "negative feedback bribery" - they don't always do it. I think the lesson to learn is that if there is a mistake in the listing, cancel the auction, fix it and relist.

+1

The buyer doesn't deserve to be blocked, they obviously made an honest mistake (triggered by the Seller's), and to expect them to pay that much for a 9.6 is totally unreasonable. If the seller catches a serious error prior to the end of the auction it should be canceled and relisted with the correct information. Blocked buyers/sellers should be limited to egregious eBay behaviors, this is no where near that.

Really, NOT deleting it and restarting it with the correct information is... suspect.

You may have enough of a presence on this forum to receive plenty of benefit of a doubt, but really, any long time quality seller is going to look at this and think:

a) Listed it wrong, didn't take it down - bad.

b) Revised with a note - nice try, but bad.

c) Sold it for double 9.6 gpa - obviously a mistake.

d) blame the customer - bad.

e) maybe hook the second chance mistake into taking it - bad.

f) still refuse to take responsibility. - bad.

Come on man, accept it and move on...

Honestly Brock, you did all you could as the bidding already started, but the book was improperly described and thus there was ambiguity, so even if he should have paid more attention I think he is basically in his right to ask for a cancellation.

Besides, if it is a nice 9.6, you could always relist and do good, right?

Yeah.

It sucks you can't edit the title so if you make a mistake there you have to eat the 30 cents and relist.

But I understand - Imagine if people could revise titles they be doing it everyday on items to spam the search engine.

I think he tried to cancel the order but E-Bay does not allow an auction to be cancelled if a bid has been placed (that's why books get one bid and then sit for 6 days). If he would have cancelled the auction it would have gone against his seller score is my understanding of E-Bay rules. He pretty much was stuck between a rock and a hard place once the mistake was made a bid was placed.

Is that something new? I've been selling on Ebay since '97 and if there's an error in my listing I've always been allowed to cancel all bids and end the listing due to an "error in the listing" without any repercussions.

No, 1Cool is incorrect. If there are 12 hours or more left in the listing, you can cancel it without any repercussions - doesn't matter whether there are bids or not.

What's new, however, is that if there are 12 hours or more left and you've received 1 or more bids, you'll be charged a FVF equivalent to the highest bid when you cancel the listing. eBay does give you 1 freebie every year, though - where this fee doesn't apply.

No matter what the OP should have cancelled the auction & relisted the item.

I could easily have made the mistake the buyer made. Once I saw the title and noted it was listed by a reputable seller, I would have had "9.8" in mind. Given the old label, it would be easy to overlook that it was actually a 9.6. On this type of auction -- rather than, say, a raw GA book -- I don't think many people bother to scroll down to see if there is any Q&A.

On the other hand, my take on GPA is that this would have been a very strong price, but not an impossible one. The most recent sale is low, but there is a sale for $169 just a month ago. The underbidder was at $175, although he too may have been confused about the grade.

Bottom line: I think the OP made two mistakes:

1. Not immediately acceding to the buyer's request to cancel the auction.

2. Starting this thread.

Yeah.

It's not something new, it's just incorrect. You can still cancel as long as the auction still has at least 12 hours before ending.

How did it take me 2 minutes longer than Schmidt to type this?

Added the following bidder to our block list:

comic-concollectibles

If someone can't be bothered by looking at scans/reading the auction description, then we don't need their business.

I recommend blocking the above individual

The error was yours not his. No reason to block this bidder. Do a mutual cancellation and relist or make the 2nd chance offer to the next bidder.

The whole point of cgc grading is to allow a buyer to effectively bid on a book sight unseen. If he saw 9.8 in your title there was really no need for him to look at anything else; and therefore you shouldn't be angry with him for not reading your update about the book being a 9.6.

I could easily have made the mistake the buyer made. Once I saw the title and noted it was listed by a reputable seller, I would have had "9.8" in mind. Given the old label, it would be easy to overlook that it was actually a 9.6. On this type of auction -- rather than, say, a raw GA book -- I don't think many people bother to scroll down to see if there is any Q&A.

On the other hand, my take on GPA is that this would have been a very strong price, but not an impossible one. The most recent sale is low, but there is a sale for $169 just a month ago. The underbidder was at $175, although he too may have been confused about the grade.

2. Starting this thread.

I think he succeeded in showing that he would love to squeeze every last cent out of every book he is attempting to sell.....and got his panties in a bunch because he could not MAKE the guy who bought it by mistake follow thur with his winning bid. Just one more guy NOT to buy from and avoid. :cloud9: Can we block sellers on EBay? hm

The OP should have had Steve Borock do the listing for him.

Steve Borock would never make a mistake.

2. Starting this thread.

I think he succeeded in showing that he would love to squeeze every last cent out of every book he is attempting to sell.....and got his panties in a bunch because he could not MAKE the guy who bought it by mistake follow thur with his winning bid. Just one more guy NOT to buy from and avoid. :cloud9: Can we block sellers on EBay? hm

^^ You mean to say that cool books don't rule all??? :o

2. Starting this thread.

+1

Clearly the mistake made was starting this thread.

Just one of many. Thanks for the entertainment (thumbs u

Really, NOT deleting it and restarting it with the correct information is... suspect.

You may have enough of a presence on this forum to receive plenty of benefit of a doubt, but really, any long time quality seller is going to look at this and think:

a) Listed it wrong, didn't take it down - bad.

b) Revised with a note - nice try, but bad.

c) Sold it for double 9.6 gpa - obviously a mistake.

d) blame the customer - bad.

e) maybe hook the second chance mistake into taking it - bad.

f) still refuse to take responsibility. - bad.

Come on man, accept it and move on...

This.

Clearly the mistake made was starting this thread.

Lesson learned.

That's what you're taking away from this? :facepalm:

I refer you all back to my original post in this thread. :tonofbricks:

Yeah.

No, 1Cool is incorrect. If there are 12 hours or more left in the listing, you can cancel it without any repercussions - doesn't matter whether there are bids or not.

What's new, however, is that if there are 12 hours or more left and you've received 1 or more bids, you'll be charged a FVF equivalent to the highest bid when you cancel the listing. eBay does give you 1 freebie every year, though - where this fee doesn't apply.

No matter what the OP should have cancelled the auction & relisted the item.

Thanks for the clarification. Its been awhile since I've done an auction so I was way off base. I do remember getting a message from a bidder back when I sold via auctions saying they would never bid from me again since I pulled the auction after it has several bids.

In the case of the Hulk 340 - I would have pulled the auction when the error was brought to my attention if there was no issues with E-Bay.