• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Launches Mobile Cert Verification

74 posts in this topic

Certified Guaranty Company (CGC), the world’s first third-party comic book grading service

Has this always been stated when making announcements or some "extra" notation added in recent news?

Certified Guaranty Company (CGC), the world’s first third-party comic book grading service, has launched a mobile version of its popular Verify CGC Certification online tool. It can be accessed at m.CGCcomics.com.

CGC has graded more than 2.6 million comics since it was founded in 2000. The grade and CGC description for every book is accessible for free through the Verify CGC Certification tool on both the mobile and full sites by inputting the unique CGC certification number that appears on the label.

Enhancements to the mobile CGC website are already planned, including the ability to purchase access free of charge the CGC Grader Notes, which provide grader commentary and additional insight into the grade assigned by CGC.

“The launch of the CGC mobile website is part of CGC’s commitment to provide collectors and dealers with the most information and best resources on the web,” says Paul Litch, CGC Primary Grader. “Over the next year we plan to release several new online features and make additional improvements.”

There - that's better. Now that would be an upgrade (thumbs u

Why don't you just offer the grader's notes for free? That would be the right thing to do in this instance. (thumbs u

Here is some constructive criticism.

- You should have a compatible app for iOS and Android based phones.

- Like Amazon, Red Lazar and other apps you could utilize the camera to "read the barcode" of the slab to verify the book.

- If you can link the graders notes to a database then the graders notes should be free for the person that submitted them

The did just that for the coinees. Link. Link2.

Comics are apparently the collectibles of the hobby world not worthy of a dedicated app.

Well it makes sense…you know there are a lot of blockbuster movies about coins right now. Ever since "The Penny" came out in 2000 (some may argue "The Farthing" back in '98 was the real beginning), coin movies have been on the rise. I mean look at the super movie that came out in 2012 where they are able to combine all the European money into "The Euros"……granted that was a crossover with paper money but still i cannot believe they pulled it off. Looks like the Stamp Collectors have some catching up to do.

You forgot these:

Silver Dollar's Playbook

Zero Dark Thirty Cent Piece

Nebraska Mint

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy Coinee

The Central Park Five Cent Piece

Love, Coins and Other Drugs

And the Showtime series, Penny Dreadful.

Why don't you just offer the grader's notes for free? That would be the right thing to do in this instance. (thumbs u

Competition has not forced them YET.

We need a chorus of voices, especially from the members CGC deems as "important".

We need a chorus of voices, especially from the members CGC deems as "important".

Those people rarely, if ever, post on the message boards.

But who would pay for the mobile cert verification development and all that went into it? :roflmao:

Perhaps. But if this is important to them they will (I would hope) communicate their displeasure through the channels they have at CGC. That's if this is something that matters at all to "them". I don't know if it does or not - but my experience with folks who have money is they don't like to give it away. It could also be a matter of the sheer inconvenience of it that drives them. Here they are at a con looking at a BIG book, they check the dandy new CGC resource and discover they have to "order" the notes. If its a weekend, the notes won't arrive until Monday the earliest. A big deal goes sour. Maybe a bit of a dramatization - but it's possible.

Who wants to spend a bundle on a book that could have a flaw the buyer would not want?

I'm small potatoes compared, but I hated losing a cople hundred on a book I recently bought with hidden flaws and sold it for a loss.

Perhaps. But if this is important to them they will (I would hope) communicate their displeasure in through the channels the have at CGC. That's if this something that matters at all to "them". I don't know if it does or not - but my experience with folks who have money - is they don't like to give it away. It could also be a matter of the sheer inconvenience of it that drives them. Here they are at a con looking at a BIG book, they check the dandy new CGC resource and discover they have to "order" the notes. If its a weekend, the notes won't arrive until Monday the earliest. A big deal goes sour. Maybe a bit of a dramatization - but it's possible.

Who wants to spend a bundle on a book that could have a flaw the buyer would not want?

I'm small potatoes compared, but I hated losing a couple hundred on a book I recently bought with hidden flaws and sold it for a loss.

The people that the CGC would listen to are already paying a subscription type fee to access the Grader's notes.

- Like Amazon, Red Lazar and other apps you could utilize the camera to "read the barcode" of the slab to verify the book.

- If you can link the graders notes to a database then the graders notes should be free for the person that submitted them

+1

Perhaps. But if this is important to them they will (I would hope) communicate their displeasure in through the channels the have at CGC. That's if this something that matters at all to "them". I don't know if it does or not - but my experience with folks who have money - is they don't like to give it away. It could also be a matter of the sheer inconvenience of it that drives them. Here they are at a con looking at a BIG book, they check the dandy new CGC resource and discover they have to "order" the notes. If its a weekend, the notes won't arrive until Monday the earliest. A big deal goes sour. Maybe a bit of a dramatization - but it's possible.

I'm small potatoes compared, but I hated losing a couple hundred on a book I recently bought with hidden flaws and sold it for a loss.

The people that the CGC would listen to are already paying a subscription type fee to access the Grader's notes.

Didn't think about that. It's all about money isn't it.

I'll check it out - but I doubt it would pay off for me.

I still feel it is part of the service - how they arrived at the grade they assigned.

As we've seen no one - not CGC - is perfect a grading books all the time. Give us tterr info used to draw your conclusions CGC and let us decide.

(slow day at work)

Are you on the go but want to check that certification number? Now you can; by the most contrived difficult way possible a new MOBILE site! Welcome to the world of internet on your phone circa 2005.

I took some liberties and paraphrased your statement.

Yes, THIS. Dedicated app +1. Also, come on with the insistence having to pay for graders's notes. doh!

Figures this had to come from a NGC marketer who's out of touch with us. They don't even bother to sticky this "announcement".

...including the ability to purchase CGC Grader Notes

BOGUS.

The grading and subsequent notes have already been paid for by the submitter.

The Grader Notes should be publicly available for free on CGC's website.

This business decision is simply nothing less than exploitation of a monopoly.

Why in the world should a person have to purchase grader notes? If they already exist, why not just make that information available with all the other cert data?

+1

Didn't see that one - that's a cook idea Buzz :headbang:

That and free notes and I'll buy a new tablet for the cons!

My only disagreement is the notes should follow the slab whomever owns the book in it. Books trade so quickly it'd be pointless to only enable the original submitter to access them (free) IMHO

They should link the free notes to registry. That way people register their books to get their free notes. Registry only allows books to be in one collection at a time right?

Anyway mobile site is a good step. Another site to check on if your submission is done if you kept your invoice number

Why in the world should a person have to purchase grader notes? If they already exist, why not just make that information available with all the other cert data?

Amen to that... :popcorn: