• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Launches Mobile Cert Verification

74 posts in this topic

Capitalism? You charge what people will pay for. (shrug)

I had a talk about a month ago with Shawn (I believe it might have been at C2E2) and told him that I thought (and have for some time now) that CGC needs a decent PR team or manager.

Not have someone fill in who has other tasks, but a real, honest to goodness person with good PR skills. A person like that is invaluable to a large company, and make no mistake about it...CGC is not a small company. I don't see why they wouldn't have something like that.

Saving money for the sake of saving money never helps business, you need to spend to invest in your future. Many of the decisions that have come down through CGC have reasonably good intentions but implementation has created a lot of friction over the years with customers and it's often been a PR nightmare for them. Friction that could easily be avoided if someone with a little PR foresight and 'big picture' marketing experience would oversee all of the decisions and communications that affect the public.

That's my 2c

. Many of the decisions that have come down through CGC have reasonably good intentions

Perhaps, but selling graders notes was a money grab at their customers expense. Intentions there was $$$$

. Many of the decisions that have come down through CGC have reasonably good intentions

Perhaps, but selling graders notes was a money grab at their customers expense. Intentions there was $$$$

The $5.00 invoice fee too. :facepalm:

I realize that but they are a business. They're not a charity. They'll take as much as customers are willing to pay.

What I'm saying is that there are better and worse ways to present changes in your business.

Marketing and PR is an art form and it can be very effective.

Why don't you just offer the grader's notes for free? That would be the right thing to do in this instance. (thumbs u

Competition has not forced them YET.

We need a chorus of voices, especially from the members CGC deems as "important".

Those people rarely, if ever, post on the message boards.

Perhaps. But if this is important to them they will (I would hope) communicate their displeasure in through the channels the have at CGC. That's if this something that matters at all to "them". I don't know if it does or not - but my experience with folks who have money - is they don't like to give it away. It could also be a matter of the sheer inconvenience of it that drives them. Here they are at a con looking at a BIG book, they check the dandy new CGC resource and discover they have to "order" the notes. If its a weekend, the notes won't arrive until Monday the earliest. A big deal goes sour. Maybe a bit of a dramatization - but it's possible.

Who wants to spend a bundle on a book that could have a flaw the buyer would not want?

I'm small potatoes compared, but I hated losing a couple hundred on a book I recently bought with hidden flaws and sold it for a loss.

The people that the CGC would listen to are already paying a subscription type fee to access the Grader's notes.

I looked on the web site and and found this:

"Premium Membership benefits, plus:

Additional 5% off CGC grading services (15% total discount). (Online submissions only, on-site grading, Signature Series submissions, and CCS services excluded.)

20% off all CGC Grader Notes"

I couldn't find a membership level that gave free graders notes. (shrug)

I had a talk about a month ago with Shawn (I believe it might have been at C2E2) and told him that I thought (and have for some time now) that CGC needs a decent PR team or manager.

Not have someone fill in who has other tasks, but a real, honest to goodness person with good PR skills. A person like that is invaluable to a large company, and make no mistake about it...CGC is not a small company. I don't see why they wouldn't have something like that.

Saving money for the sake of saving money never helps business, you need to spend to invest in your future. Many of the decisions that have come down through CGC have reasonably good intentions but implementation has created a lot of friction over the years with customers and it's often been a PR nightmare for them. Friction that could easily be avoided if someone with a little PR foresight and 'big picture' marketing experience would oversee all of the decisions and communications that affect the public.

That's my 2c

"Not have someone fill in who has other tasks"

I never understood why CGC would have a part time PR guy (shrug) How is this acceptable or thought to be effective in a company the size of CGC?

That's my 2c

I never understood why CGC would have a part time PR guy (shrug) How is this acceptable or thought to be effective in a company the size of CGC?

It's not just CGC though. It's the entire Collector's Society umbrella.

CGC is just a small percentage of the entire company.

That's my 2c

That is really a nonsensical approach to a company that has so much direct and indirect contact with people. Hopefully they will feel the pressure with the upcoming "competition" and realize this is a necessity not a luxury (shrug)

That's my 2c

That is really a nonsensical approach to a company that has so much direct and indirect contact with people. Hopefully they will feel the pressure with the upcoming "competition" and realize this is a necessity not a luxury (shrug)

Why is it nonsensical? I personally think it's smart business.

I'll politely agree to disagree. :foryou:

I think it's nonsensical to have a part time PR person to cover all the bases of the entire company.

Like I said, I disagree. Why is it nonsensical? Because of cost or because you don't think it would affect the business?

I think it's nonsensical to have a part time PR person to cover all the bases of the entire company.

Like I said, I disagree. Why is it nonsensical? Because of cost or because you don't think it would affect the business?

I think that they should have a full time PR person to add continuity to there business. I'm not sure what your question is?

That's my 2c

Why is it nonsensical? I personally think it's smart business.

I'll politely agree to disagree. :foryou:

Going from a grading service that relied on the graders' reputations to a more or less faceless almost corporate company (if not full-blown by now) has taken away a lot of the personal assurances we had in that our precious books would be taken care of. Over the years since a certain person left, I have felt like they've been communicating with us at a bare minimum to touch base, keep in mind what the customers have wanted. Do you really feel that has been retained over the last several years? The announcement in this thread totally missed its mark in addressing something that most CGC customers actually want.

PR is immensely important for all businesses, and I've known businesses a fraction of the size of CGC that ultimately were done in because the owner of the business attempted to be his own PR/customer service representative. Sometimes someone is a master of fabrication, as reliable and trustworthy as they come, but kind of a D-bag when responding to questions and complaints. Sometimes they need a filter.

Not saying CGC has that problem, but considering the number of transactions they do, a full time PR rep is a necessity.

I admit to not understanding the value of a mobile method for verifying certification. When at a show or comic store, being able to look at slabs provides all the verification needed. When at home, the desktop, notebook or pad suffices. When will this be especially useful?

Here is some constructive criticism.

- You should have a compatible app for iOS and Android based phones.

- Like Amazon, Red Lazar and other apps you could utilize the camera to "read the barcode" of the slab to verify the book.

- If you can link the graders notes to a database then the graders notes should be free for the person that submitted them

The did just that for the coinees. Link. Link2.

Comics are apparently the collectibles of the hobby world not worthy of a dedicated app.

Well it makes sense…you know there are a lot of blockbuster movies about coins right now. Ever since "The Penny" came out in 2000 (some may argue "The Farthing" back in '98 was the real beginning), coin movies have been on the rise. I mean look at the super movie that came out in 2012 where they are able to combine all the European money into "The Euros"……granted that was a crossover with paper money but still i cannot believe they pulled it off. Looks like the Stamp Collectors have some catching up to do.

The true origin was the 1897 silent film The Adventures of Obadiah Quarterbuck. :sumo:

I think that they should have a full time PR person to add continuity to there business. I'm not sure what your question is?

I thought you were disagreeing with me when in fact we're agreeing. My mistake.

(thumbs u