• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Has China entered the comic collectible market yet?

44 posts in this topic

If this guy ever decides to counterfeit comics....

We're all in trouble

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_J._Williams_Jr.

I would be more worried about someone counterfeiting slab holders then comic books.

It would seem less time consuming then trying to counterfeit a whole comic book.

I would think counterfeiting a comic book is a huge task.

Singapore does qualify in a way. I'm guessing these are well paid expats fueling their comic fix but any American comic exposure to Asia is beneficial. Most expats stationedblocking Google, etc.) So, apore use the US friendly country as a springboard to travel across Asia.

I just finished reading another article on China's effect on the art market. Stunning what billions upon billions in new disposable income can do to a market.

I'm curious if they would be interested in such an American specific art form. The movie market would be the spark and If it did the focus would be on the extremely high grade market.

I'm not worried about the counterfeit market because it usually starts in those industries where China provides the labor and they simply start a nightshift at the same factory using the same raw materials to match the design and quality. Silver Age comics would not give them the same bang for the buck.

My wife is a Chinese National. I can assure you Singapore does not count if you're strictly speaking about China. China is moving towards closing the door (more internet censorship ala blocking Google, etc) It wouldn't surprise me in the least for the Chinesr to block the import of U.S. comics. One look at a Captain America and the censorship is on. Speaking of censorship. ....never mind.

I can see China objecting to the "perverse" nature of modern comics, but I don't see why there would be a problem with most older comics from the 80s and earlier. One exception I can think of, an older comic that depicts the Chinese government in a bad light.

I thought 80% of USA distributed comics were still being printed by Quebecor Press in Canada. I would blame Canada :makepoint: and the Frenchies if there were any counterfeit copies of New Mutants 98, Walking Dead 1 (1st prints) or TMNT 1 (1st prints) discovered.

Although Chinese highschool students in Guangzhou, Beijing, and Shanghai are learning basic English so they can use ASM to help develop their reading skills :D ?

We're all in trouble

I would be more worried about someone counterfeiting slab holders then comic books.

It would seem less time consuming then trying to counterfeit a whole comic book.

I was thinking about this. If someone could forge a cover really really well, the interior can be another comic. If they opened a slab and used a forged label with legit numbers, this could be a problem. They could insert the fake book and sell it as the real deal. The numbers would check out. Interesting and scary.

They could hypothetically forge 100-200 books that are higher value and sell them quickly (in and out).

We're all in trouble

I was thinking about this. If someone could forge a cover really really well, the interior can be another comic. If they opened a slab and used a forged label with legit numbers, this could be a problem. They could insert the fake book and sell it as the real deal. The numbers would check out. Interesting and scary.

They could hypothetically forge 100-200 books that are higher value and sell them quickly (in and out).

:devil:

The beauty of this scheme is unless someone opened the slabbed, you wouldn't have any way of discovering the fraud. With the forgeries that occurred over the the foreign Star Wars toy market, I wouldn't be surprised to hear that this has already been tried. I know if I were going to do this, I would pick books that have a bazillion copies, but still sells for big bucks. New Mutants 98, X-Factor 6, etc.

And with new comics rolling off the press being sold for $30 or more, it would be tempting if you worked at the press to make a few high grade copies for yourself.

We're all in trouble

That sounds like too much work. More likely we'd see inaccurately graded books inside a slab with a counterfeit label. 6-8.0 books residing in 9.8 labels at first. I could see some eBay buyers falling for that. "Buy the book, not the label!"

We're all in trouble

:devil:

The beauty of this scheme is unless someone opened the slabbed, you wouldn't have any way of discovering the fraud. With the forgeries that occurred over the the foreign Star Wars toy market, I wouldn't be surprised to hear that this has already been tried. I know if I were going to do this, I would pick books that have a bazillion copies, but still sells for big bucks. New Mutants 98, X-Factor 6, etc.

And with new comics rolling off the press being sold for $30 or more, it would be tempting if you worked at the press to make a few high grade copies for yourself.

Wouldn't it be easier to just forge the slabs, labels, and sigs?

We're all in trouble

That sounds like too much work. More likely we'd see inaccurately graded books inside a slab with a counterfeit label. 6-8.0 books residing in 9.8 labels at first. I could see some eBay buyers falling for that. "Buy the book, not the label!"

I think if you didn't want the fraud discovered, you wouldn't place obviously lower graded books into higher graded slabs.

After all, you'd want to make money for years, not just a short time. Just like the guy forging sealed foreign Star Wars toys.

We're all in trouble

If it's a 9.8 key copper it would be easy (printing a fresh cover would look new).

Even a 9.0 key bronze could be pulled off. Just go on eBay or GPA and find some cert numbers to use, make the book, make the label, presto.

It's not as easy as that, but I think it's feasible. Let's ask Frank Abagnale Jr.

catch-me1.jpg

We're all in trouble

If it's a 9.8 key copper it would be easy (printing a fresh cover would look new).

Even a 9.0 key bronze could be pulled off. Just go on eBay or GPA and find some cert numbers to use, make the book, make the label, presto.

It's not as easy as that, but I think it's feasible. Let's ask Frank Abagnale Jr.

catch-me1.jpg

I think with today's technology, forging a cover that will be seen from behind a piece of plastic that looks authentic would be trivial.

Great movie by the way!

It already happened to the guy with the 181.....

Where? Link?

I can't find the link but fearless leader bought a hulk 181 slab-went to a con, had a CGC rep crack it for signing and voila-it was a BA Cap Nomad book with a printed 181 cover attached.....can't be the only one I'm sure.....

Where? Link?

I can't find the link but fearless leader bought a hulk 181 slab-went to a con, had a CGC rep crack it for signing and voila-it was a BA Cap Nomad book with a printed 181 cover attached.....can't be the only one I'm sure.....

:o

Yep I remember reading that thread too. As for Asian countries not connecting with american centric things, in the record market specifically jazz, most original jazz labels go to japanese buyers wanting 1st pressings. There is actually a huge exact replica reissue market there.

Its possible comics could be desired somewhere in that part of the world by a signicant population

Where? Link?

:o

:sick:

or they can perfecting the counterfeit technique and we all doomed

Just remember folks that just about everything is made in China now. Not just counterfeits. The laptop, tablet and smartphone we are now typing on probably was made in China as well. ;)

A lot of comics are now being printed in China as well. I think it was the writer for Sheltered told me that's where the majority of exclusives are being printed.