• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Original Owner Silver and Bronze Age Marvel Collection Coming To Market

15 posts in this topic

I'm one of those old time collectors whose finally coming out of the woodwork with a nice collection of Marvels to liquidate. I've had this collection certified as a pedigree by the Professional Grading Authority (PGA) as the Edgewater Road Collection which will be printed on all the labels of books graded by them. I am going to sell most of the collection on ebay. I plan to put a few books on Comic Link. I have a few key books at CGC now being graded for the Feb and May 2005 Signature Auctions. I have over 2800 books bought new in the Edgewater collection and also all the early Marvels that I acquired by mail order so I'll be at this a long time. Many of the books after 1972 need to be graded and I don't want to sell those outside the venues I just noted right now. I may change my mind later. If you are interested in a particular book please email me or call and I will notify you when the book is offered on ebay or Comic Link. Many books from 1969 through 1971 have minor foxing, would probably grade at less than 9.2 and will probably be sold raw on ebay. If somebody is interested I may sell some of those books right now. Please take a look at the link below which is my website for this collection. There is a link on the Homepage near the top which leads to a page which lists all of the books. Check out my seller id of "premarvelfan" on ebay for books currently listed. I always like to talk about Marvel comics so drop me a line.

Lewis Forroemail: modman@cox.netphone: 757 495 3458 Edgewater Road Collection

So, I don't get it. Your saying that PGA is actually going to put Edgewater on all your slabs?

This seems sort of overly nice for a collection of books that there are probably 100's of collectors out there alive who still have identical original owner books. I mean I just bought one that went from 1963-2003.

Did I unknowingly sell a goldmine? Should I have called up PGA and asked them to make it known as the ComicSupply collection?

If this is true, what gives with handing out pedigrees?

Ah, leave the guy alone, ComicSupply. If CGC can label Mile High II books as a pedigree, then PGA can do the same. I wouldn't call this collection a pedigree either (no silver keys in high grade) and I doubt that collectors will clamor to buy the books. But the same can be said about the Mile High II warehouse find (which Steve told me at WonderCon last year that he agreed to certify as a pedigree "for the money," and said he'd do it for me or anyone else who had books to submit that would result in $100,000 worth of grading fees -- at least he was honest about it).

I wasn't really directing that at him. For that I apologize. I am just calling into question the whole "pedigree" stuff.

I mean, does thats hypothetically mean that in 30 years when you and I sell our books, everything we purchased off the stands is a pedigree?

I guess I just get a little irked when I hear of a collection someone needs to justify. Such as the Hidden Valley Collection or this one. To me, and this is just a personal thing, but to me its just validating your collection for your own personal gain.

And this is another hypothetical. Wouldn't a collection a pedigree collection be worth more as a collection? I mean, I could see the justified price increase to get all of the say Church books. Not that anyone would have enough cash, or most of us wouldn't have enough.

In using the Church collection as an example for high multiples, you're comparing apples and oranges. Not all pedigrees are created equal; in fact, none of them are equal. Just because a collection is "pedigreed" doesn't insantly mean tons of cash. Nobody's paying Church multiples for MH II books. Even semi-savvy collectors know the deal.

ComicSupply, I can see how you're against a collection like the MileHigh II being called a pedigree, but why the problem with the Lost Valley pedigree? This is all I have to say about that collection: Detective Comics #1-10 in approximately 7.0 - 8.0 and a bunch of early Actions, including Action #2 in high grade.

I wasn't really directing that at him. For that I apologize. I am just calling into question the whole "pedigree" stuff.

I mean, does thats hypothetically mean that in 30 years when you and I sell our books, everything we purchased off the stands is a pedigree?

I guess I just get a little irked when I hear of a collection someone needs to justify. Such as the Hidden Valley Collection or this one. To me, and this is just a personal thing, but to me its just validating your collection for your own personal gain.

And this is another hypothetical. Wouldn't a collection a pedigree collection be worth more as a collection? I mean, I could see the justified price increase to get all of the say Church books. Not that anyone would have enough cash, or most of us wouldn't have enough.

If the Lost Valley collection doesn't qualify as a pedigree, nothing does. Original owner books, high grade, massive selection of keys, etc etc etc.

the link to the edgewater collection story and the one to the list of books both work for me.............

great story and very well presented. thumbsup2.gif

this is a great example of one way to get a pedigree distinction - go to PGA - great idea 893applaud-thumb.gif

looks like you started buying just about a year after i stopped collecting - would have been great combined together. sorry about the foxing, though. i guess that's the price you pay for living in such a great area as Savannah.

and thos Robert Bell bags 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif man those were the worst over time. i keep a few as a memento, they're all greenish yellow now........ insane.gif

the link to the edgewater collection story and the one to the list of books both work for me.............

great story and very well presented. thumbsup2.gif

this is a great example of one way to get a pedigree distinction - go to PGA - great idea 893applaud-thumb.gif

looks like you started buying just about a year after i stopped collecting - would have been great combined together. sorry about the foxing, though. i guess that's the price you pay for living in such a great area as Savannah.

and thos Robert Bell bags 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif man those were the worst over time. i keep a few as a memento, they're all greenish yellow now........ insane.gif

I sent an email to Lewis a few days ago. I asked about buying some runs. He really wants to sell the books one at a time. I notied he had some 9.0 books graded. I went on further to explain about grading fees and why it's not a good idea to slab book less than 9.4. They just don't sell for any big premium. In most cases you lose out on the grading fees. While it's true he has some nice books, he has way too may VF+ books getting graded. These are very common NM books to find on ebay. Common Tomb of Dracula books in VF+ wont bring 20.00. NM one sometimes do. I am not talking about keys, but common issue numbers that are all over the web. PGA is making all the money here. VF+ books will not even get the grading fees returned. We see it all the time, a book in the slab that is a nice high grade reader copy. I hope Lewis gets the message. Save your money! Sell most of them raw, or learn how to submit 9.4 or better copies.

If the Lost Valley collection doesn't qualify as a pedigree, nothing does. Original owner books, high grade, massive selection of keys, etc etc etc.

Ya FD I couldn't have said it better if MH II is a Ped. hey if Oakland , Bethlehem etc. is a Ped. then man Lost Valley is like an uber Pedigree 'Tec 1-10 in HG (that is HG considering the grade curve for early 'Tec) man sometimes this hobby is all messed up backwards. makepoint.gif