• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NUMBER OF ACCEPTABLE FLAWS/DEFECTS in Grades 9.8 / 9.9 / 10

Number of Acceptable Flaws GEM MINT 10.0  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Number of Acceptable Flaws GEM MINT 10.0

5 posts in this topic

How many flaws/defects do you think is permissible per grade tier (9.8 / 9.9 / 10)

Additional comments or discussions are welcomed and appreciated.

According to Overstreet Comic Book Grading Guide (OCBGG)

9.8 (NM/MT Near Mint/Mint) = 1 to 2 allowable flaws/defects only subtle bindery/printing defects, no bindery tears permitted. Small, inconspicuous dates/initials are allowed.

9.9 (MT Mint) = 1 allowable flaw/defect of only subtle bindery/printing defects, no bindery tears permitted. Small, inconspicuous dates/initials are allowed.

10 (GM Gem Mint) = 0 allowable flaws/defects with the exception of only the slightest, most imperceptible bindery/printing defects.

And does the age (Gold/Silver/Bronze etc.) of the book matter when determining these defects/flaws and permissible quantities per?

Suggested Allowable Defects from OCBGG (Third Edition)

YYysQRb.jpg

The one that I think needs the most qualifying is the 9.8. I voted for only 2 flaws allowed because I'm assuming one is a small color-breaking and then maybe a slightly soft corner or other non-CB crease, but I guess the people voting 3 and 4 might be considering non-CB creases that could potentially be pressed out as still being ok for a 9.8?

The one that I think needs the most qualifying is the 9.8. I voted for only 2 flaws allowed because I'm assuming one is a small color-breaking and then maybe a slightly soft corner or other non-CB crease, but I guess the people voting 3 and 4 might be considering non-CB creases that could potentially be pressed out as still being ok for a 9.8?

You're argument is valid in that flaws can be categorized as perceptible flaws (PF) and imperceptible flaws (IF). A CB crease is perceptible where a NCB crease could be considered imperceptible. Should we then differentiate between the number of acceptable PF and IF and also the combined number of acceptable PF and IF per grade?

The second consideration is that I think people have to come to terms with the fact that a true GEM MINT book does not exist. Perfection is only a figment of your imagination and that nothing is truly perfect. That is why I think one imperceptible flaw for the NEAR GEM MINT (NGM) 10.0 grade should be the new norm as well as a change in name and that the 9.9 grade be revised from MINT (which infers perfection) to GEM MINT MINUS (GM-)

You're argument is valid in that flaws can be categorized as perceptible flaws (PF) and imperceptible flaws (IF). A CB crease is perceptible where a NCB crease could be considered imperceptible. Should we then differentiate between the number of acceptable PF and IF and also the combined number of acceptable PF and IF per grade?

I think differentiating between PF and IF is important. I think there should be degrees of significance of flaws. For example, I'd like to think that a NCB spine tick should be less of a flaw than a CB spine tick.

I think differentiating between PF and IF is important. I think there should be degrees of significance of flaws. For example, I'd like to think that a NCB spine tick should be less of a flaw than a CB spine tick.

This is exactly what I was hoping for. And I see Pike's Comics has raised a thread that is similar:

Pike's Comics X-Y Grade Thread

I would love to see something that categorizes and catalogues this information. I would imagine it can only help benefit the hobby and make it more standardized when attributing defects to grades.