• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

If a Comic has X defect than it can't be above Y grade

12 posts in this topic

So I have read the Overstreet grading Guide many times and use it as a resource for the photos.

One thing I love about it is you can easily determine if a book has X damage then it can't be above Y grade. I was wondering if we could compile a list for what we know the way CGC grades along these lines.

The quality of the pages can affect the grade. Listed below is the highest grade a book can receive based on its page quality.

Cream to off-white 9.8 cream to off-white can only get up to 9.6 if they are modern.

light tan to off-white 8.5

tan to off-white 7.5

slightly brittle 6.5

brittle 3.5

hope this chart helps.

From this page quality question thread.

The quality of the pages can affect the grade. Listed below is the highest grade a book can receive based on its page quality.

Cream to off-white 9.8 cream to off-white can only get up to 9.6 if they are modern.

tan to off-white 7.5

slightly brittle 6.5

brittle 3.5

hope this chart helps.

For the most part these seem pretty lenient.

The Overstreet Grading Guide -- which I too have used countless times -- has too many rigid, impractical grading rules that CGC doesn't follow. My understanding is that CGC doesn't have any "bright line" test for any single grade, that's their secret formula, and they have no plans on divulging their standards any time soon (nor should they).

In the absence of published CGC standards, the grading standards I like to follow -- which I think are quite pragmatic and leave some wiggle room, unlike Overstreet -- are from the Nostomania Guide. See here: http://www.nostomania.com/servlets/com.nostomania.CatPage?name=ComicsGradingMain

What the heck, here is one...Water Stains.

I know where Overstreet is on this, but have no experience with how bad CGC hammers books for water stains.

Does the size and location of the water stain make any additional difference, say stain on front cover vs back cover.

Is a water stain with no rippling "better" than one with ripples?

Or is a stain a stain?

Does the size and location of the water stain make any additional difference, say stain on front cover vs back cover?

Or is a stain a stain?

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

:grin:

tan to off-white 7.5

slightly brittle 6.5

brittle 3.5

hope this chart helps.

For the most part these seem pretty lenient.

I have an Action 30 that is all of a 9.2/9.4 but has light tan/ow pages and sits in an 8.5 slab.

Didn't feel lenient when I got the grade :lol:

What the heck, here is one...Water Stains.

I know where Overstreet is on this, but have no experience with how bad CGC hammers books for water stains.

Does the size and location of the water stain make any additional difference, say stain on front cover vs back cover.

Or is a stain a stain?

All that stuff matters, I think, but the bottom line is that lately CGC has been hammering stains of any type, shape, or form. If you have a book that was graded a few years ago that appears to be upgradable but that has a stain, I would think long and hard before resubmitting it.

here is a tta 44 --about 5.5 before the stain issue that is just on front cover tta44cgc40sold11-21-14clink..1.JPG --downgraded to 4.0

Not too surprised on that one. A lot of ink (and maybe paper) loss there.