• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Craigslist scam...avoid... (Updated 6/26)

737 posts in this topic

Chip,

I was going to write - keep going buddy :headbang: - but screw it. Go viral. Everything you said is right. This guy can dance around the legal system and can drag this out for years and you still might not see money. Go viral - burn him everywhere you can! :devil: Nothing like public shaming to get someone to respond. :sumo:

Weird, I thought yesterday they said you could not file where you lived. Anyway I'm glad they changed their mind.

They didn't. I called the number to the courthouse in Myrtle Beach yesterday. Today I called the judge's office directly at the magistrate court in the came county building as the police.

Why not have him served? You are right to think he likely will not sign for certified mail, that's why you have somebody go to the door and serve it. You can find somebody at NAPPS or ServeNow on the web.

It seems like that will cost more money, but I am considering other options.

Also it seems like you are getting a lot of half truths from people you talk to on the phone, either because they don't care or don't really know.

It generally seems like they don't care when I speak to them.

I do have someone who has agreed to help me right now. We'll see what happens as a result.

Thanks for your advice.

Peace,

Chip

Weird, I thought yesterday they said you could not file where you lived. Anyway I'm glad they changed their mind.

They didn't. I called the number to the courthouse in Myrtle Beach yesterday. Today I called the judge's office directly at the magistrate court in the came county building as the police.

Why not have him served? You are right to think he likely will not sign for certified mail, that's why you have somebody go to the door and serve it. You can find somebody at NAPPS or ServeNow on the web.

Also it seems like you are getting a lot of half truths from people you talk to on the phone, either because they don't care or don't really know.

I do have someone who has agreed to help me right now. We'll see what happens as a result.

Thanks for your advice.

Peace,

Chip

Warren's post couldn't be more spot-on. FYI. In many jurisdictions, Magistrate or Small Claims Court judges don't even have to be attorneys. You can take that advice you get from them or the clerks in those courts with a HUGE grain of salt. I.e., they can be woefully incorrect. I have no basis on which to say this, but I doubt very seriously that the ONLY way you could serve him with a copy of the complaint is through certified mail that he accepts.

Don't trust clerks to give you good legal advice. You know who does? Attorneys. Good ones, that is.

Magistrate judges here in SC are appointed by the State Legislature and are not required to be attorneys or have any legal experience , other than attending a Magistrate Class once appointed. One of the Magistrates in Horry County here was part owner in a Pizza Shop. He got appointed due to his father being the former treasurer of this county. He had no legal experience at all.

I'm not sure if my comments will be helpful but I left two below. That said, you can take this guy to court, and he may default by not showing up. At that point, you still have to collect from him, which might be a continuing headache.

I haven't read the entire post, but if that guy published a craigslist ad in your home state, then that's probably sufficient minimum contact to haul him into your home court.

A professional process server is probably best, but as long as you find any person 18 or over to serve the summons to anyone who lives at his residence, then that should be sufficient for service of process. From what I remember, you don't need to send certified mail, per se, nor does the person even have to accept it. But they have to understand that they're "being served." (include a photo of venus williams for the sake of clarity.) Otherwise, people would be dodging court all the time with the excuse that they were never served because they ran away when they saw the process server. You could also try calling the sherriff as they might try to help you serve process. Some states will allow process to be served at a person's place of employment, as long as the employer knows.

Thanks for your advice.

Peace,

Chip

I'm not giving up, don't worry. I'm getting some assistance and haven't really been in the mood to post anything about this lately. I've also been busy with my business and with chasing my toddler around the house. :)

Thanks for the continuing support, everyone.

Peace,

Chip

I'm just thinking of washing my hands of the whole thing.

It's very depressing to me how much effort I need to put forth to prove that the guy stole my money. Plus, even if he accepts the letter, after the subsequent court time, after a judgement is granted against him, after an officer in NY tries to collect from him (which will also cost me money)...that STILL doesn't get my money back. If he has nothing in his bank account then his wages get garnished...and that takes a long time as well.

It's all so damn frustrating. I'd rather just put the effort into working hard and earning extra money that way...at least then I KNOW I'll get money from my effort.

Peace,

Chip

Two words: Mark Zaid.

He's a boardie (esquirecomics) and is one of the best attorneys in the country. He's helped out some other folks who have been ripped off in comic deals. Shoot him a PM and see if he might be able to help you out or point you in the right direction.

I would encourage you to not let this guy walk on you, Chip.

I haven't read the thread so I don't know what has transpired but if there is still an issue feel free to e-mail me at Mark@MarkZaid.com.

It's very depressing to me how much effort I need to put forth to prove that the guy stole my money. Plus, even if he accepts the letter, after the subsequent court time, after a judgement is granted against him, after an officer in NY tries to collect from him (which will also cost me money)...that STILL doesn't get my money back. If he has nothing in his bank account then his wages get garnished...and that takes a long time as well.

It's all so damn frustrating. I'd rather just put the effort into working hard and earning extra money that way...at least then I KNOW I'll get money from my effort.

Peace,

Chip

He's a boardie (esquirecomics) and is one of the best attorneys in the country. He's helped out some other folks who have been ripped off in comic deals. Shoot him a PM and see if he might be able to help you out or point you in the right direction.

I haven't read the thread so I don't know what has transpired but if there is still an issue feel free to e-mail me at Mark@MarkZaid.com.

:golfclap:

Peace,

Chip

^^

Peace,

Chip

:golfclap:

Best man for the job. Go get him Mark.