• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

**ALERT** Jay Abernathy aka Jays Jay's Collectables from Pulaski TN

149 posts in this topic

The last restored 8.5 sold for over 6k. Why would anyone trade that book for "2k" worth of drek? This is just weird.

I was just looking at that in GPA thinking that it now sounds more like Jay's Avengers #1 in 8.5 restored likely never existed - and he was fishing for someone to buy/trade for the book in order to scam them?

The last restored 8.5 sold for over 6k. Why would anyone trade that book for "2k" worth of drek? This is just weird.

There was no trade, this "wrong box" deal is a common scam and I really hope the victim doesn't allow himself to get strung along waiting for the "real package to ship".

There was no trade, this "wrong box" deal is a common scam and I really hope the victim doesn't allow himself to get strung along waiting for the "real package to ship".

yeah, the wrong box didn't get mailed...

basically "your box just got nailed!"

:(

I saw that as well...

$6320 for a restored 8.5 (SP) just last November.

Good luck and I hope everything works out! :wishluck:

JOE!!!

Great to see you here, my friend! Sorry that it's under such circumstances, but I know that if you could get your hands on this guy it'd all work out pretty quickly. I wish you the best of luck getting your books back or equivalent cash.

You still rockin' the microphone or what? :)

Peace,

Chip

Ding ! Ding! ^^

also

so a Av1 8.5 ® is worth 2K :eyeroll:

Scam from the get-go...

and I'm sure there's a moral of the story in there somewhere ...

I live a few hours away from Pulaski, TN. It's been a long-time since I've been there, but I can't imagine anyone opening a comic shop there. It's a very small town and it's far from any population centers. I can't imagine a brick and mortar establishment surviving there for long.

It's pretty close to the border with Alabama.

I couldn't find any info online. Does the business have a street address?

The Jay's Collectibles in AL is pretty far from Pulaski TN (167 miles). It would be good to know the address the books were mailed to, hopefully it wasn't just a PO Box. The Jay's in AL is a residence, not brick and mortar shop.

Sean/Peter, I suppose context is everything when sourcing GPA prices. I don't have a subscription, but I did find a copy that had a scan of mycomicshop - that copy was a slight professional with a small amount of colour touch. No big surprise that slight CT on a slight/pro designation can hold the $6320 it closed at, and then some once the CT is removed. The timing was also on a different market for Avengers 1 than it is now. Not suggesting it's cooled off in a drastic way, but prices were stronger at that point in time.

IMHO, comparing it to the copy Jay was supposed to deliver, it's night and day. How much of that $6K is an Avengers 1 going to realize with trimming on top/bottom and outer edge? Hard to say, but I kind of find myself leaning on Joe's point about the extent of restoration being in the 1/4 value range more than a GPA number on a book that shares the spot with 14 other copies in the same condition on the census.

While I understand the point being made about the deal looking like it might have been too good to be true, it's worth nothing that not all restored books are created equal, and no offence to Joe, but I'm not sure I'd agree the copy Joe was promised would yield the value of the slight/pro copy auctioned last year. If there is another data point you're referring to, then I'd still have to believe the trimming will effect this copy more than an untrimmed example. Regardless, I didn't want the fact that Joseph got duped slip away from the purpose and intent of the threads warning.

BTW: I just happened to stumble on Jay's eBay listing as I hadn't seen the actual book until I sourced the mycomicshop listing.

They don't get more than an hr when they send me 2 DVDs in place of a 2k+ book, not after there's been constant contact, and no more than 15 min lapses in response time thru the week long haggling process of doing the deal. IF the constant had been a few hrs or more lapse time between messages during the entire deal, that's one thing, but to open a box, and have it be nothing but , then have your call to the person ring 2x THEN go to voice mail, after 2 texts and 3 FB messages....yeah... I'm not going to wait. And if it were someone that I'd dealt with regularly, I wouldn't even be worried, but he isn't. Literally tens of thousands of dollars in dealings over the years with friends and strangers alike, and this is the biggest hit I've taken. I've shown up at peoples doors for much less than this. Hopefully the cops will take care of this.And if they don't other means are at my disposal.

I just am glad that Joe posted the thread to help warn people that may get offered these books. I don't want to see anyone have to deal with the same thing I'm going thru here.

J

He scammed you. I was working on a deal with him in regards to a TOS 39. He wanted me to ship him books and at the same time he would ship me books. I said no thanks as I don't trust anyone for a deal that big. I will paypal him the money for it and cover the fees, he then found every excuse not to follow through with the deal.

They don't get more than an hr when they send me 2 DVDs in place of a 2k+ book, not after there's been constant contact, and no more than 15 min lapses in response time thru the week long haggling process of doing the deal.

Have you looked up the address to see if it's an actual shop?

They don't get more than an hr when they send me 2 DVDs in place of a 2k+ book, not after there's been constant contact, and no more than 15 min lapses in response time thru the week long haggling process of doing the deal.

Have you looked up the address to see if it's an actual shop?

I don't think there is. Pretty sure he made a facebook page name called Jay's Collectibles to instantly add credibility to his name. He was only on facebook for a few months.