• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM Amazing Spider-Man 300

10 posts in this topic

Chip top spine fc. Not the bindery tear but to the right of it seems to be a chip.

Many cbc and ncbc along the spine.

Just below the top staple seems to be a scratch on the cover.

And not too much further down from top staple is a color breaking impact.

And not too much further down is another cb impact.

Pretty book but I can't see it higher than a 9.2

EDIT: Decided not to edit.

Nice looking copy Tim! A number of questions first:

1. There is a scratch on the front cover just below the price box. Is it on the scanner or is it in the book?

2. Same question front cover - water spot on Spidey's right foot?

3. All the "white flecking" appears on both front and back covers - this I am pretty sure is on the scanner screen but can you confirm please?

4. On the front cover there are four spine tics between the top staple and the bottom staple. Do any of them actually break colour and can you confirm that they are spine tics or scanner screen debris?

5. Back cover top edge just to the right of the middle is an impact crease. Can you confirm if it breaks colour? The image is giving the slightest impression that it does but that could be the scanner light reflection.

I would like to hold off on a grade until Tim has the opportunity to review the images and confirm the questions.

I would normally grade this and any other comic in this condition at a 9.2 but even with all the defects on this comic I'm at a 9.4/9.6 on this one.

I know I've said this before in all most every PGM listings for ASM #300's but to me it seems like CGC has become extremely lenient on Amazing Spider-Man #300's over the past 7 months or so.

I'm a really big fan of this Comic and I've purchased 6 CGC 9.6's within the past 5 months and out of those 6 I returned 5 of them because they all had color breaking spine ticks, corner dings, and non color breaking creases. All of these flaws were really visible from outside the slab.

2 of the ones I returned they were really bad and to me they both looked like they were 9.0's at best as they both had multiple non color breaking spine ticks they also had at least a 1/4" color breaking spine crease on them and one of the 2 also had a color breaking corner ding on the back cover.

One thing I noticed on all 5 of the ones I returned they were all graded within the last 7 months. The only 9.6 that I didn't send back, it was graded back in 2004.

Again, this is just my opinion but I feel like CGC has become extremely lenient with this Comic lately.

1. There is a scratch on the front cover just below the price box. Is it on the scanner or is it in the book?

3. All the "white flecking" appears on both front and back covers - this I am pretty sure is on the scanner screen but can you confirm please?

4. On the front cover there are four spine tics between the top staple and the bottom staple. Do any of them actually break colour and can you confirm that they are spine tics or scanner screen debris?

5. Back cover top edge just to the right of the middle is an impact crease. Can you confirm if it breaks colour? The image is giving the slightest impression that it does but that could be the scanner light reflection.

I would like to hold off on a grade until Tim has the opportunity to review the images and confirm the questions.

Best I can tell, everything on your list is there on the book, with the exception of:

4. Only 2 break color

5. No color breaking

Yeah, THIS is why I don't deal with high grade stuff, too many tiny things to look at!

If anybody is interested, this is an example of a book that I bought off the shelf, read once, placed in a regular bag, and has sat in a box for 26 years. At no point was any particular care taken in the handling of it.

Thanks everyone, it was an educational experience.

Best I can tell, everything on your list is there on the book, with the exception of:

4. Only 2 break color

5. No color breaking

Yeah, THIS is why I don't deal with high grade stuff, too many tiny things to look at!

If anybody is interested, this is an example of a book that I bought off the shelf, read once, placed in a regular bag, and has sat in a box for 26 years. At no point was any particular care taken in the handling of it.

Thanks everyone, it was an educational experience.

9.2 IMHO! Could definitely press out to 9.4 or even 9.6 depending on the alignment of the stars!

I would normally grade this and any other comic in this condition at a 9.2 but even with all the defects on this comic I'm at a 9.4/9.6 on this one.

I know I've said this before in all most every PGM listings for ASM #300's but to me it seems like CGC has become extremely lenient on Amazing Spider-Man #300's over the past 7 months or so.

I'm a really big fan of this Comic and I've purchased 6 CGC 9.6's within the past 5 months and out of those 6 I returned 5 of them because they all had color breaking spine ticks, corner dings, and non color breaking creases. All of these flaws were really visible from outside the slab.

2 of the ones I returned they were really bad and to me they both looked like they were 9.0's at best as they both had multiple non color breaking spine ticks they also had at least a 1/4" color breaking spine crease on them and one of the 2 also had a color breaking corner ding on the back cover.

One thing I noticed on all 5 of the ones I returned they were all graded within the last 7 months. The only 9.6 that I didn't send back, it was graded back in 2004.

Again, this is just my opinion but I feel like CGC has become extremely lenient with this Comic lately.

Interesting, CGC has always hammered black cover books, spines especially. I have an ASM 28 that looks like any typical 9.6 ASM 300, and some of the recent 9.8's.

I'd call this copy here a 9.4 given the current grading, 9.6 depending on how flat it is etc. I recall another #300 that didn't look this nice, had more spine ticks, and it came back 9.8, this year.