• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Closed...thanks everyone...

43 posts in this topic

JUST RECENTLY GOT AN UPGRADE...so lmk what ya think about this one.

No restoration...

Spine split 1 1/4" at top ....another near 1/2" tear at right and a v shaped 1/3" tear closer to top right edge. Very minor tip missing at top right.

minor tape lift near Hulk and Banner's foot...hard to see...best spot it could be at ;)

top left fold you can see...etc..

some Ink on cover....does not disturb image...in logo.

One page inside has a 3" tear...unsealed as are all tears. A few other minor edge tears, noting worth mentioning. No tape...

Back cover some creasing...only minor edge tears.

Pages are off white....more or less.

Top staple barely hanging on...bottom is fine....

Centerfold both are hanging on but somewhat loose.

Colors are quite Bold..unfaded....rest of spine nice...no other splits.

Deciding whether to send in to get graded..or may just sell on the Forum..

Give me a fair grade....thanks..JR

1.5 - maybe bordering on 1.8. I probably wouldn't slab it, but some seem to think even <2.0 keys have added value in a slab, but I suspect people still pay based more on appearance than anything else in those grades. You have a well read but bright copy with no big chunks out or unsightly tape on the cover. I image it would sell at a nice price for a copy in that condition, raw or slabbed.

1.5 - maybe bordering on 1.8. I probably wouldn't slab it, but some seem to think even <2.0 keys have added value in a slab, but I suspect people still pay based more on appearance than anything else in those grades. You have a well read but bright copy with no big chunks out or unsightly tape on the cover. I image it would sell at a nice price for a copy in that condition, raw or slabbed.

Agreed. If anything, the added value of slabbing would only be for the restoration "certification".

Thanks...why do you not think it a 2.0

Because defects are cumulative when determining grades. And there are just too many things wrong with this book of a structural nature to warrant a full 2.0.

I would expect it to grade around 1.5.

Which is not to say the book isn't desirable.

It's just not a 2.0, in my opinion.

It could easily get a 2.0, as there are no pieces missing. However, I am more comfortable with the 1.5-1.8 grade due to the severity of the accumulated defects (as noted above).

It could easily get a 2.0, as there are no pieces missing. However, I am more comfortable with the 1.5-1.8 grade due to the severity of the accumulated defects (as noted above).

I agree. There are examples of books in CGC 2.0 slabs that appear no better ( or perhaps even worse) than this copy, but they tend to be outliers, and are often considered "overgraded" by potential buyers.

I try to grade a book in its entirety.

Yes, this book has an ink stain...a few tears...and a split...

But is complete...has bold colors, nice paper, no restoration or tape...

I've seen 1.5 that look far worse...so I cannot see it as that grade. Even 1.8..I think a 2.0 and some could even argue a 2.5

Accumulated defects has to be weighted by accumulated positives FOR THE GRADE.

One EXPECTS defects in grades 3.0 or less....the lower the grade the more that is allowable...however at some point minor defects no longer have an real impact...for if that was the case...a book could go into the NEGATIVE...say a - 1.0~

Here is some of what Overstreet says about 1.5 "substantial to heavy wear." I would call this moderate at best.. There may be pieces missing off the cover or pages. THERE IS NONE. Cover may be detached...NOT THE CASE. "NEARLY no reflectivity to no reflectivity remaining." NOT THE CASE AT ALL.

"Book length creases, tears fold.." Not that bad....

Soiling, staining...etc...yes some staining but not in the usual sense. "Tape and other forms of repair>" NOT THE CASE. "Staples may be replaced or missing." NOT THE CASE. "PAPER is brown and may show brittleness." NOT THE CASE. "ACIDIC order...NOT THE CASE. "Centerfold may be loose or detached." NOT THE CASE, although somewhat loose. "Interior tears are common." One long tear, not much else...

SO AGAIN, I ASK WHY NOT A 2.0??

2.0 "Substantial wear." "reading copy." Cover...show wear....may be detached." "Cover reflectivity low." Moderate soiling of staining." "Largest piece missing 1/2" ...."Tape and other forms of repair.." "May have up to a 2" spine split." Staples may be degrade or missing..."Paper is brown...not brittle...centerfold may be loose or detached. Moderate interior tears...

It would appear this book is even better than the 2.0 designation...perhaps a 2.5

What say?

Thanks for your input...

HERE IS A 1.8 that sold recently...

I think mine nicer than the first one...

HULK1182950_zpsb1bc8b7c.jpg

This sold on the Forum....

A .5

HULK1051400_zps6e75a665.jpg

This has centerfold crease...mine does not...however, I have stain...perhaps a tad better..

A 3.0

HULD1304750_zps74232e24.jpg

Anyway...I may post here next week..hate sending things out...

It appears Overstreet grading is out of date...or irrelevant...

Based on the description in O this should be a 2.5

So not sure why others can possibly feel it is a 1.5

Value wise a 1.8 and 2.0 make little difference...from what I see....but these days....I think i hard to get anything that looks decent for under $3K...unless restored