• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

USPS loses two high-value books, Bat #49 and GL #1, please keep an eye out!

133 posts in this topic

On Saturday, June 7th, I shipped my Green Lantern #1 CGC 8.0 MP and Batman #49 CGC 8.5 to ComicConnect's New York office, USPS Priority Mail with signature confirmation. On Monday, June 16th, ComicConnect notified me that they had not received the package.Tracking shows that it was delivered to someone named J HITCHER on Monday, June 9th. ComicConnect does not employ anyone with that name. :cry:

I requested delivery confirmation and both the signature and recipient's address fields are blank. ComicConnect is working on their end to try and locate the package. I started a case with USPS, and for reasons unclear to me, they've assigned someone at my local post office(in California) to investigate. Makes no sense to me as the package was delivered in New York.

I'd greatly appreciate it if the board detectives could keep an eye out for the books and let me know if you see them being offered anywhere. Please either PM me or email me at nearmint@aol.com.

The Batman #49 is from the Cape Cod pedigree, and has the distinctive "ND" on the cover, as well as a pencil checkmark on Joker's left shoulder...

batman49.jpg

greenlantern1.jpg

With tracking in place and the name of a possible receipient, in theory USPS should be able to get the books back for you. :wishluck:

On the other hand, I hope you had also brought the additional insurance to cover the value of the books.

On the other hand, I hope you had also brought the additional insurance to cover the value of the books.

Didn't buy the insurance as I thought I was covered by my collectinsure policy, but of course, turns out my policy lapsed last month. doh!

I'm hoping the fact that I purchased signature confirmation, and there's no signature, would give me a leg to stand on.

Didn't buy the insurance as I thought I was covered by my collectinsure policy, but of course, turns out my policy lapsed last month. doh!

I'm hoping the fact that I purchased signature confirmation, and there's no signature, would give me a leg to stand on.

Oh wow that stinks! I hope they turn up- those are some nice books.

How would they know the package was delivered to this J HITCHER if he didn't sign for it...how else would they know his name? I know for a fact I've never had a USPS delivery person ever check my id...even for registered mail packages! How the hell do they know I'm who I say I am?!

How would they know the package was delivered to this J HITCHER if he didn't sign for it...how else would they know his name? I know for a fact I've never had a USPS delivery person ever check my id...even for registered mail packages! How the hell do they know I'm who I say I am?!

Not sure how that all works, but the tracking shows delivered to J HITCHER, but when I requested proof of delivery, they sent me this...

POD_zps9e0e9c74.jpg

Is that true?!? I always have to sign for mine, but that's because I always have to pick it up at the post office.

Not sure how that all works, but the tracking shows delivered to J HITCHER, but when I requested proof of delivery, they sent me this...

POD_zps9e0e9c74.jpg

What the...?!?!

Can anyone make that out or is it just me?

POD_zps9e0e9c74.jpg

What the...?!?!

Can anyone make that out or is it just me?

There's nothing to make out. Even the USPS customer service rep that I spoke to on the phone was perplexed by it. He put me on hold to show it to his supervisor.

Ugh, I feel sick for you. It's when the things you take for granted fail you that it really throws you for a loop. That check mark on Joker's shoulder is VERY distinctive. I feel optimistic that if that book surfaces someone here will help you locate it. Sending positive thoughts your way!

POD_zps9e0e9c74.jpg

As with any crime, it would be interesting to know more about the last person to see it: the USPS employee.

I wonder if they've "lost" any other expensive packages?

BTW, sorry that they lost your package. Hopefully, it will be recovered.

No doubt these books will show up (one day), but I have no faith in USPS to do any better than assign a local case manager to oversee your complaint. This person is not an investigator. Especially if there was insurance on it.

I hope I'm wrong and either you or the folks over at CC recover the books.

It also makes me wonder if there are individuals who squat at auction house doors signing for incoming packages. It would seem to me as an easy way to steal valuable items.