• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic Book Con Scam?

37 posts in this topic

From the little information the article provides, it might be a scam or it might be someone with an idea who got in over his head.

When I ran my first, very small, convention in 1985,I almost went broke. Totally underestimated every cost and overestimated every source of income.

https://www.facebook.com/comicsAscendant

Sometimes these self pub or webcomics guys go nuts posting their stuff everywhere hoping for what I dont know. Everyone to start reading their stories? Ordering their self-pub books through the mail? This guy says he wouldn't work for Marvel or DC if they begged him. I hear that a lot also from the amateur creator set. I really don't know what the business model is for these type projects and there are like a billion of them-each convinced they are sheer genius and wouldn't step foot near the major publishers....

Owners of what? Isn't Marvel and Dc owners of comic companies? He wants nothing to do with them.

There's about a billion people on digital webbing looking for free artists/writers to start a 'new comic company' some actually do get stuff made then it sits there for years...and years....then after maybe 10 years they throw all the unsold books away but don't worry now there's a new batch of people looking to 'start an new comic company'....

Owners of what? Isn't Marvel and Dc owners of comic companies? He wants nothing to do with them.

There's about a billion people on digital webbing looking for free artists/writers to start a 'new comic company' some actually do get stuff made then it sits there for years...and years....then after maybe 10 years they throw all the unsold books away but don't worry now there's a new batch of people looking to 'start an new comic company'....

Exactly, I just don't understand. Here's one of his recent quotes on facebook,

I need to know everyone who is looking to be a leader/owner first. Then I will be looking for owners. This is a united comic book company. We are all sacrificing individualism for the bigger picture. If you aren't willing to make a sacrifice this isn't for you. But if it is then let me know, still need owners/leaders.

(shrug)

Apparently nobody on Facebook understands either and his clarifications are just as bad,

"Think of it like this. Marvel and Dc are a wall that have stood for over 50 years. We are all bombs with a radius of 1%. Scatter a thousand bombs on the wall, and you barely break the surface. But what would happen if you place 1 bomb with 1000% radius?"

:eyeroll:

Still not clear? Well here's everything we need to know,

"Independent Companies are like the Dc universe. Supermans, Batmans, WonderWomans, etc, alone we are strong and have weakness. In order to strengthen themselves they created the Justice League."

https://www.facebook.com/AscendantComics?fref=ts

:facepalm:

So who's ready to go to work for this guy or turn over your intellectual property to him? Bueller, Bueller?

Well any bomb has to have some explosive power to be effective. If you gather a bunch of duds nothing happens. And if someone was good enough to challenge DC or Marvel, they'd be working for DC or Marvel, not looking for some guy who wants them to work for free.

I need to know everyone who is looking to be a leader/owner first. Then I will be looking for owners. This is a united comic book company. We are all sacrificing individualism for the bigger picture. If you aren't willing to make a sacrifice this isn't for you. But if it is then let me know, still need owners/leaders.

(shrug)

Apparently nobody on Facebook understands either and his clarifications are just as bad,

"Think of it like this. Marvel and Dc are a wall that have stood for over 50 years. We are all bombs with a radius of 1%. Scatter a thousand bombs on the wall, and you barely break the surface. But what would happen if you place 1 bomb with 1000% radius?"

Still not clear enough? Well here's the everything we need to know,

"Independent Companies are like the Dc universe. Supermans, Batmans, WonderWomans, etc, alone we are strong and have weakness. In order to strengthen themselves they created the Justice League."

Good grief I hope this guy is not a writer...

(shrug)

Still not clear? Well here's everything we need to know,

So who's ready to go to work for this guy or turn over your intellectual property to him? Bueller, Bueller?

Perhaps he's presenting his ideas for new superheroes - Bad Analogy Man or maybe Nonsensical Mathematical Equation Man.

I had an idea for one the other day myself. His super power is that he causes people to need to use the restroom at inconvenient times. Like during a robbery, he would show up and then the thieves would need to use the restroom really bad, thereby giving the police extra time to catch the criminals. Don't have a name yet - Kid Diarrhea maybe.

Perhaps he comes from the planet Xlaxia and is a member of the Legion of Pooperheroes.

Here's another gem from his FB:

"If you are a comic creator and or company I know how to put an end to all your struggles"

Well, i know many comic creators are sleeping easier tonight.

I really think this is the 'Dr. Fate' user that tried to recruit boardies to start a company that would take down DC/Marvel the other day, but then refused to answer any questions. I can't find the thread, maybe the mods took it down?

"If you are a comic creator and or company I know how to put an end to all your struggles"

I really think this is the 'Dr. Fate' user that tried to recruit boardies to start a company that would take down DC/Marvel the other day, but then refused to answer any questions. I can't find the thread, maybe the mods took it down?

You could just read the third post in this thread.

You could just read the third post in this thread.

Yeah, I saw that, but the 'Dr. Fate' was a shill account (1st post), and the language was similar to the FB acct. Could be wrong, and if I am, they should team up, they'd make a great duo.

The sure sign that a project will never go anywhere is the line 'take down Marvel and DC'

It's little kid stuff.

Look at it logically, if a great artist/writer created something so awesome that it began to get traction, and Marvel offered to hire them would they

A - keep working for free or

B - take the huge salary and distribution/movie deal possibilities etc.

This is one reason why the smaller publishers never get bigger-Marvel and DC have the money to hire away their top talent.