• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are people delusional, or simply fishing?

91 posts in this topic

In the last few weeks, I've seen a huge uptick in borderline insane pricing in the marketplace. People asking three or four times the going rate on ebay. In one case, a regular here was asking $200plus for a book that had a dozen copies on eBay with BINs for a fraction of the price.

I'm not getting it.

I hope they aren't either :eek: (their asking price, I mean).

I vote fishing.

Bingo. Did any of these senses assaulting priced books actually sell?

That's what I was wondering.

In the last few weeks, I've seen a huge uptick in borderline insane pricing in the marketplace. People asking three or four times the going rate on ebay. In one case, a regular here was asking $200plus for a book that had a dozen copies on eBay with BINs for a fraction of the price.

I'm not getting it.

I don't get it either. I saw one the other day where someone was above GPA and they wanted payment via check/money order or the expected another 3%. I'm all for folks trying to make sure the market is set or building on a book on the rise, but common sense in a market that does not carry the 10-19% fee is needed.

I'm not getting it.

I don't get it either. I saw one the other day where someone was above GPA and they wanted payment via check/money order or the expected another 3%. I'm all for folks trying to make sure the market is set or building on a book on the rise, but common sense in a market that does not carry the 10-19% fee is needed.

Plus, let's be real here - the marketplace here is filled with people who want to flip and sell themselves. When I do sales here, I assume that it's a slightly lower margin because A) buyers in the community are less problematic than Ebay and B) I don't have to pay 10% fees and C) payment usually comes without incident or problems.

Those things right there are worth 10-20% less than what I'd be dealing with elsewhere. So why people are fishing for way over FMV is beyond me - it seems like a waste of a good sales thread. When I see one overpriced book, I generally assume they will all be overpriced and don't bother revisiting the thread - but maybe that's just me. Everyone is free to ask what they want, but they have to know that when they ask too high or too unrealistically - it turns off a huge percentage of buyers to even dealing or offering lower.

I'm not getting it.

I think I know the listing you are referring to. I was about to list the same book a lot cheaper than that and pay my own fees but didn't want to look like a posting it right after they did. I automatically tune out any sales thread I see here that makes me pay the 3% after they already got a free listing. That horse had already been beat to death in the past though.

I automatically tune out any sales thread I see here that makes me pay the 3% after they already got a free listing. That horse had already been beat to death in the past though.

Paying those fees is the cost of doing business and topping a listing off by stating you have to pay the extra 3% is silly. I hate seeing this nonsense at conventions where vendors post signs about charging extra for card transactions.

Sometimes I think auctions like this are just a billboard for the seller's other listings. How many of people clicked the link to the $6500 ASM1 Gamestop variant, then clicked "See Other Items?" He's got some $13-$25 variant raws that might be a decent price (I really don't know, convention variants aren't my thing).

However, there are some others that are simply kooky.

Sometimes I think auctions like this are just a billboard for the seller's other listings. How many of people clicked the link to the $6500 ASM1 Gamestop variant, then clicked "See Other Items?" He's got some $13-$25 variant raws that might be a decent price (I really don't know, convention variants aren't my thing).

However, there are some others that are simply kooky.

these books get more exposure in a highest price search

It worked for me when I was selling my Batman 227 collection

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=hulk+377&_sop=3

Bottom line, folks should be wheeling and dealing here on these boards since there isn't any fees incurred (and most people do still).

All the sales threads I done I have tried to not only have deals but even some wiggle room for those that wanted a package deal. Hot keys were only the light exception to this due to the cost to replace them.

I do try to pay it forward on these boards to keep a great thing going here.

(thumbs u

I'm not getting it.

Plus, let's be real here - the marketplace here is filled with people who want to flip and sell themselves. When I do sales here, I assume that it's a slightly lower margin because A) buyers in the community are less problematic than Ebay and B) I don't have to pay 10% fees and C) payment usually comes without incident or problems.

Those things right there are worth 10-20% less than what I'd be dealing with elsewhere. So why people are fishing for way over FMV is beyond me - it seems like a waste of a good sales thread. When I see one overpriced book, I generally assume they will all be overpriced and don't bother revisiting the thread - but maybe that's just me. Everyone is free to ask what they want, but they have to know that when they ask too high or too unrealistically - it turns off a huge percentage of buyers to even dealing or offering lower.

Exactly my thoughts as well.

If sellers haven't realized it, the buyers on the board have one thing in common...they are all cheapass bastards who will go to any extreme to save a nickel. If you list a book for 20% more than you paid, it might take 1,000 years to sell. But if you try to sell it for 10% LESS than you paid, you can get multiple offers for an additional 5% off within a couple of minutes.

It's unusual for a buyer here to not have a firm sense of the market base on GPA and ebay.