• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do you ever feel overwhelmed by your collection?

98 posts in this topic

I don't have nearly enough books to be overwhelmed, there are so many titles out there I'd like that I've barely scratched yet. If I was buying bulk lots and stuck with leftovers, then yes, that might be daunting, but I'm a run collector, it piles up quick. I've got... 30 long boxes? I might be able to put together a long box of material I could do away with, but I like everything I have.

:news:

This is the same feelings we will all go through.

As a kid every new issue is great and going to the comic book store is a dream come true. You accumulate a big collection

Hair starts growing in funny places and you sell everything.

Done with comics

After you had enough of random girls, college, and cars you get nostalgic and come back into the hobby.

You go over board some what again.

Then you realize most of your collection you can either buy in TBP or aren't worth the space they are taking up.

You now only want to buy/keep the keys or select issues, stories, runs, or covers you really like to get down to 2 or less boxes of Raw/CGC books.

You are now middle-aged and life is passing you by so by the time you are almost 60 you probably decide it is time to sell it all to to give the funds to your wife or kids.

Then you die.

Just remember every new day is a day closer to death, so enjoy it the best you can. (thumbs u

As a kid every new issue is great and going to the comic book store is a dream come true. You accumulate a big collection

Done with comics

After you had enough of random girls, college, and cars you get nostalgic and come back into the hobby.

Then you realize most of your collection you can either buy in TBP or aren't worth the space they are taking up.

You now only want to buy/keep the keys or select issues, stories, runs, or covers you really like to get down to 2 or less boxes of Raw/CGC books.

You are now middle-aged and life is passing you by so by the time you are almost 60 you probably decide it is time to sell it all to to give the funds to your wife or kids.

Then you die.

Rinse and repeat.

Who needs Socrates when one can have SOT?

Done with comics

Then you die.

Just remember every new day is a day closer to death, so enjoy it the best you can. (thumbs u

:cry:

I wouldn't say it currently overwhelms me, but the thought of loved ones having to figure out what the heck to do with them, kinda bothers me. I'll be sure to leave some general instructions in case of emergency...lol....

I am up to 13ish long boxes and 3 cgc short boxes within 2 1/2 years of collecting. The organization is spot on thanks to separating by publisher and alphabetizing. The only overwhelming item is running out of space for long boxes. I recently transferred 8 long boxes to a legal size filing cabinet. There is A LOT of drek I need to purge but just can't find the time to do it =(.

Done with comics

Then you die.

This is where most guys go wrong.

Done with comics

Then you die.

+1

Definitely not as I only have half a short box full

Same here... I have even less. What...maybe 7 slabs total? And thats after I downsized from 50 slabs.

Mine is definitely not by choice though, I just can't buy more things, and am getting rid of the 4 slabs I have to pay for things as it is.

Done with comics

Then you die.

This is where most guys go wrong.

Yup, some of us are just ahead of the curve.

Death = marriage and kids

I am not overwelmed by my collection, I am overwhelmed by the overspill of my collection.

Like some on here, my collection for the most part is organized, at least 1950s - 1980ish in my main comic room in 21 filing cabinets and about 30 or so long boxes :cloud9:

After that its overspill into 2 other rooms the loft and the garage, total disarray, unsure what is there or where it all is, duplicates, triplicates, piles, long-boxes, short-boxes any-boxes etc :tonofbricks:

Gave 25000 comics away the last 2 Christmas to make space to get on top of it all, I worked in one room for about a week and at the end of it, it just looked like it had before I went in :ohnoez:

Overwhelming to the point, where I just shut the door and ignore it all.

I got some criticism recently from friends when I bought a set of Hawkeye as I fancied reading it and just couldn't find my own copies :facepalm:

Now slabs, they are just a big pile of about 700 in the center of my floor at the moment, don't know here to begin with them :cry:

Sounds like somebody needs an intervention.

I've got around 30 short boxes of comics and magazines and maybe a dozen moving boxes worth of trades, hardbacks and misc stuff. It's somewhat organized, but spread over three closets and under the bed, and I couldn't tell you where which box is right now, even though the contents are listed. I sort the hundred or so new moderns comics I buy each year on more or less an annual basis. I don't have a spread sheet or list of what I own, but I have a pretty good memory for what I do and don't have.

I currently have a three foot high stack of trades and hardbacks I need to sort - and it's not easy as they aren't Marvel and DC standard size books, but generally Fantagraphics and D&Q type publications of various dimensions.

I don't really feel overwhelmed, but I do question why I keep so much of this stuff, but every few years when I decide to clear out books, I only come up with maybe 3 or 4 short boxes worth of books, and only about half of them sell for enough to make the effort. I've got around 3 or 4 boxes of "to sell" copper/modern books sitting around somewhere. I've got terrible timing though as it seems every time a sell a run for about 1.50-2.00 an issue, it starts selling for double that a year later and/or previously unrecognized keys pop in value.

Done with comics

:acclaim:[iNSERT ZOSOCANE HERE] :acclaim:

Then you die.

I started collecting comics as a form of art to bring a bit more flavor to an otherwise dull condo. I remember the stuff I use to like and bought items that were nostalgic. The original intent was 3 comics but that quickly escalated to 10 then 20 and now I have 50 frames mounted.

A month or so ago I noticed that a large portion were in a short box and that they'd never make it up to the wall so I finally got the courage to accept I had impulse bought a few too many and took the loss by sending them to an auction house.

Small fish compared to some of the stories though.