• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I just received a phone call.....

17 posts in this topic

about a local Golden Age comic collection. From what I gathered from the phone call, it's a grandson who is either helping his grandfather move or his grandfather has passed away and he found these comics.

He called me because he's interested in having some of the comics graded (I'm a CGC member dealer) as apparently his grandfather did a great job of preserving the books. I'm not sure he did this with all of them, but the grandson mentioned something about him sandwiching the books between 2 pieces of cardboard. Hopefully, he did ALL of them like this. :wishluck:

I asked him how many books in total there were and he said he wasn't sure. There were 3 boxes altogether and he has only opened 1 of the boxes. There were about 30 in the first box so I'm guessing around 100 comics total??? I asked him to make a complete list and e-mail it to me when he completes it. He did mention a Sensation Comics #2 and a Green Lantern #5 from the first box. :o

Here's hoping he follows through and I get to look at the collection next month as we have planned. I might be jumping the gun here, but is it possible that this could be a new pedigree find? Supposedly, all of the books were purchased right off the rack by the grandfather back in the '40s. hm

about a local Golden Age comic collection. From what I gathered from the phone call, it's a grandson who is either helping his grandfather move or his grandfather has passed away and he found these comics.

He called me because he's interested in having some of the comics graded (I'm a CGC member dealer) as apparently his grandfather did a great job of preserving the books. I'm not sure he did this with all of them, but the grandson mentioned something about him sandwiching the books between 2 pieces of cardboard. Hopefully, he did ALL of them like this. :wishluck:

I asked him how many books in total there were and he said he wasn't sure. There were 3 boxes altogether and he has only opened 1 of the boxes. There were about 30 in the first box so I'm guessing around 100 comics total??? I asked him to make a complete list and e-mail it to me when he completes it. He did mention a Sensation Comics #2 and a Green Lantern #5 from the first box. :o

Here's hoping he follows through and I get to look at the collection next month as we have planned. I might be jumping the gun here, but is it possible that this could be a new pedigree find? Supposedly, all of the books were purchased right off the rack by the grandfather back in the '40s. hm

Probably not enough books for a pedigree, unless it's loaded with high grade keys. Still sounds like an awesome find though. Good luck!

Green Lantern 5 is one of my favorite covers.

Green%2520Lantern%25205%2520CGC%2520F%252B%25206.5.jpg

Probably not enough books for a pedigree, unless it's loaded with high grade keys. Still sounds like an awesome find though. Good luck!

Green Lantern 5 is one of my favorite covers.

From the CGC website:

"The collection must consist of a considerable number of comics. Most pedigree collections consist of at least 1,000 books and some number over 10,000 comics. The collections that consist of fewer books, such as the Allentown and Denver collections, must include extremely rare, important, and/or key material."

So yeah, hopefully this collection contains some rare and/or key books. And I'm hoping I see a list by the end of this week. :wishluck:

I'm guessing that every dealer on the boards is scouring for anyone that might fit the profile of the grandson you described.

lol

Yeah, I thought about that before I posted. That's why I'm giving out no details whatsoever. My interest is in viewing the collection and getting whatever books he wants submitted to CGC for grading. I'd love to be the one who helps this family get the most financially out of this collection that they can possibly get. I'm in no position to buy any significant portion of this collection myself but I will help the family find good buyers.

Great find. If after you see the books, you think the collection might be pedigree worthy, it may be worthwhile to call CGC about it. I have a suspicion that may be a long shot, though.

A pedigree designation coupled with a consignment to a HA or CC auction might be the best way to maximize the family's return.

...but the grandson mentioned something about him sandwiching the books between 2 pieces of cardboard. Hopefully, he did ALL of them like this. :wishluck:

Since regular cardboard is not acid free, such a method may protect the structural integrity of the book but it could also lead to residue browning over the long haul.

Fingers crossed for you, good luck! :wishluck:

Them oranges and yellows :cloud9:

'

That's a great copy! :applause:

Besides the oranges and yellows (and purples), I also like how the "Green" and "Lantern" are printed in different shades.

IIRC, there wasn't a GL 5 in the Church collection (or if there was, its current whereabouts is unknown).

I'm glad to have one (old pic), pretty nice copy (dull blade cut at top) with bone white pages:

100_1190.jpg

I might be jumping the gun here, but is it possible that this could be a new pedigree find? Supposedly, all of the books were purchased right off the rack by the grandfather back in the '40s. hm

That's very cool.

Regardless of pedigree status, imo try to document as much as you can in terms of where the books came from, background, and so on.

Preserving information about the provenance of this stuff is important, and I think years down the road it's going to be viewed as even more important.

Update...

I spoke with the grandson again yesterday and got a few more details. It ends up the grandfather is alive and well. So any of you dealers who have been busy checking OKC area obituaries can now stop. lol

I did ask if the comics were in comic short boxes and he said they were actually in moving boxes. So there may well be much more than the 100 or so I originally believed. hm

Anyway, getting together with them is on hold for 30-45 days. Why? Because I learned yesterday that the other 2 unopened boxes are in another state and won't be in Oklahoma until late July or early August. We'll meet once all of the collection is in one place.

The anticipation in viewing this collection is killing me. :ohnoez:

Update...

I spoke with the grandson again yesterday and got a few more details. It ends up the grandfather is alive and well. So any of you dealers who have been busy checking OKC area obituaries can now stop. lol

I did ask if the comics were in comic short boxes and he said they were actually in moving boxes. So there may well be much more than the 100 or so I originally believed. hm

Anyway, getting together with them is on hold for 30-45 days. Why? Because I learned yesterday that the other 2 unopened boxes are in another state and won't be in Oklahoma until late July or early August. We'll meet once all of the collection is in one place.

The anticipation in viewing this collection is killing me. :ohnoez:

:busy:

:banana:

:whee:

:ohnoez:

:insane:

:juggle:

(: