• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How to Store your Slabs

66 posts in this topic

Bags and boards don't have inner wells to contend with. Over time certain inner wells will create damage if the book is stored standing up. The books own weight will cause it to impact the edge of the inner well causing indentations to the bottom edge of the comic. Best way to store LONG term is spine side down or lay the books flat if you have no other option.

Kinda hard to disagree with Joeypost, since a lot of people love him.

So then since I cant find any boxes that allow me to store these or even my raws in this manner, should we just tip our boxes on the side and have the books sit like that? Or on the small side standing up, but for Raw long boxes I dont think that would work. Maybe on the side for raw comics, CGC boxes for slabs we should stand up long ways so the books are flat?

:shrug:

I've heard some people say that slabs should be stored laying flat. Anyone got any info on this?

There are people that claim storing the book in an upright position will cause damage to the bottom. The though is that gravity will force the book down over time and thus damage it.

My response to that though, haven't we been storing comics upright in bags and boards for years though?

Of course the argument to shoot back is when they found the Church books they were just stacked in a closet. There was also a guy on here with an INCREDIBLE golden age collection and he just stored his books stacked on a desk or something.

Bags and boards don't have inner wells to contend with. Over time certain inner wells will create damage if the book is stored standing up. The books own weight will cause it to impact the edge of the inner well causing indentations to the bottom edge of the comic. Best way to store LONG term is spine side down or lay the books flat if you have no other option.

While this might be true there are other forces such as friction that might be enough to oppose the force of gravity in this case. My guess is a book sitting upright will never have gravity move it in the inner well, and damage we've seen caused by the inner well were due to drops or jostling of the slab.

I think more damage will be caused by everyone moving them every which way trying to decide what is ideal than if you just put them down in any position and didn't handle them very often. Any CGC book will outlast any of us, and look better doing it!

I've heard some people say that slabs should be stored laying flat. Anyone got any info on this?

There are people that claim storing the book in an upright position will cause damage to the bottom. The though is that gravity will force the book down over time and thus damage it.

My response to that though, haven't we been storing comics upright in bags and boards for years though?

Of course the argument to shoot back is when they found the Church books they were just stacked in a closet. There was also a guy on here with an INCREDIBLE golden age collection and he just stored his books stacked on a desk or something.

While this might be true there are other forces such as friction that might be enough to oppose the force of gravity in this case. My guess is a book sitting upright will never have gravity move it in the inner well, and damage we've seen caused by the inner well were due to drops or jostling of the slab.

^^ Gravity alone will not damage your comics sitting inside of CGC cases. A lot of movement can though.

I don't know what the item # is. I bought some there several years ago. Here's a photo:

IMG_0518_zps6b70b163.jpg

@Stanley1883, here are some boxes that would do. But I think this thread is providing a lot of different options, so that each collector can use what works best for their needs.

I don't know what the item # is. I bought some there several years ago. Here's a photo:

IMG_0518_zps6b70b163.jpg

@Stanley1883, here are some boxes that would do. But I think this thread is providing a lot of different options, so that each collector can use what works best for their needs.

The number on the side of this box is 3315ef. A quick check of staples website shows they still carry them.

IMG_0518_zps6b70b163.jpg

The number on the side of this box is 3315ef. A quick check of staples website shows they still carry them.

Looks like this guy:

http://www.staples.com/Staples-Heavy-Duty-50-Recycled-Legal-Size-Storage-Boxes-12-Pack/product_693172?externalize=certona

So no love for framing and hanging your slabs on the wall?

Definitely!

What did you use to hang that? Just a screw in the wall or is there a hook/tray there?

One of those wide hooks on the bottom, it's sitting on it.

IMG_0518_zps6b70b163.jpg

Looks like this guy:

http://www.staples.com/Staples-Heavy-Duty-50-Recycled-Legal-Size-Storage-Boxes-12-Pack/product_693172?externalize=certona

So much work. :eyeroll:

Sometimes I read these threads and wonder how disgusted some collectors would be if they saw my storage choices. my books are all in mylites and FB, and upright in open top deco-crates so i can flip through them any time. my cgc books are no different, just bigger crate, and I keep my "to be graded" books in the BCW storfolios just for easy transport. no light or humidity regulation. my gf loves having the windows open so I DO put my less desirable books at the front of each bin, (CGC books has a DW Transformers gen 1 #1 holofoil cover at the front of the stack). I'ts not that I don't care about my my books, its just lack of any place else to store them in the manner that I choose. That is, open and accessible.

I know storing them in acid free boxes in a cool dark closet would be the best option, but I personally think it's sad to put so much thought and energy and focus into collecting something you rarely even see.

Besides, neither of my kids are into comics, so I'm hoping my nephew is so I can pass this stuff on to him. But he's only 4, so i've got some time to influence. :)

Sometimes I read these threads and wonder how disgusted some collectors would be if they saw my storage choices. my books are all in mylites and FB, and upright in open top deco-crates so i can flip through them any time. my cgc books are no different, just bigger crate, and I keep my "to be graded" books in the BCW storfolios just for easy transport. no light or humidity regulation. my gf loves having the windows open so I DO put my less desirable books at the front of each bin, (CGC books has a DW Transformers gen 1 #1 holofoil cover at the front of the stack). I'ts not that I don't care about my my books, its just lack of any place else to store them in the manner that I choose. That is, open and accessible.

I know storing them in acid free boxes in a cool dark closet would be the best option, but I personally think it's sad to put so much thought and energy and focus into collecting something you rarely even see.

Besides, neither of my kids are into comics, so I'm hoping my nephew is so I can pass this stuff on to him. But he's only 4, so i've got some time to influence. :)

Given all that, I wouldn't be worrying about micro chamber paper.

:baiting:

lol! I was actually just curious. I like to know why people do the things they do. I imagine with some of the preservation methods being used, these books will far outlive all of us.

Yea I store my books on a bookcase in my basement stacked. It gets very little sun and I rotate the slabs as they are stacked.

Having said that, I have two UV frames up in my living room. Each hold two slabs and I rotate through slabs in the frames. I try to have a theme. Right now one frame has ASM 121 and 129 for some Romita Yellow covers. The other has USM 1 and What if 105 for an alternate universe theme.

In the basement, I have a picture frame shelf with a lip. I can lean 5 slabs on it and they stand up. They are out of direct sunlight. Right now there are 5 Ditko covers leaning up.

Part of what I enjoy about CGC slabs is how nice they present books. I know people like Mylars and I have a book in a Mylar but it just doesn't present as well as the slabs.

IMG_0518_zps6b70b163.jpg

Looks like this guy:

Thanks guys. :foryou:

Looks promising, just want to make certain the boxes I find are deep enough............(that didn't sound wrong until I typed it....)