• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM ASM 121 - y'know, the Gwen book!

15 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

I picked up this sharp copy but there's a little bit of a stain on front left cover and a little bit larger stain on back cover.

Whatever the stain is it did not go through to the interior pages as best that I can tell.

Just curious on your thoughts, I found this one hard to grade due to the stain. They look more pronounced on the scan than in my hands.

ASM121front_zpseaded5b8.jpg

ASM121back_zpsc4d279f6.jpg

3.5/4.0.

The book would get hammered by CGC graders for that back cover stain. I don't see how the interior pages could not have been affected and the lower staple too.

5.0 IMO great book by the way!

Not to mention an underrated cover. This and #122 two of the all time greats by one of the all time greats IMHO. Sorry to go off topic. Had to get that off my chest.

I just realized how all the portraits of the characters which are all leading figures in Peter's life are framed with a thick black line, as to suggest a subtle aesthetic of mourning. That’s awesome!

I still think the book deserves a 5.0, 4.5 at its worst.

5.0 IMO great book by the way!

Not to mention an underrated cover. This and #122 two of the all time greats by one of the all time greats IMHO. Sorry to go off topic. Had to get that off my chest.

I just realized how all the portraits of the characters which are all leading figures in Peter's life are framed with a thick black line, as to suggest a subtle aesthetic of mourning. That’s awesome!

I still think the book deserves a 5.0, 4.5 at its worst.

Yes, and considering that Marvel is in the business of selling comics, I don't see how anyone at the time could have walked past that at the newsstand and not shelled out $.20 for a copy. In this instance, as we now know, Marvel did not disappoint. The dynamics that would occur throughout this and the issue that followed, would change the direction of the title permanently. Marvel killed off Spideys arch-nemesis, and did so at a very steep cost. It wasn't until issue #300 that they would find an adversary compelling enough to halt the constant recycling of goblins, jack o lanterns; etc. Truly an issue of epic proportions, and possibly the best example of the salesmanship of Marvel Comics in one of their finest hours.

That was because they cared about the quality of the stories, and their consistency. Not to mention respect for their readership. The decision was not taken lightly, and now seeing "death" of the Green Goblin (in brackets) on a CGC label makes me sigh…