• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CLASSIC covers NOT considered "CLASSIC" by CGC or OS

119 posts in this topic

This book screams 'Classic'. Lets see: Last golden age (Fawcett)Captain Marvel and co., and the most ironic of covers of all time! I have never come across a documented account of whether Fawcett knew going to press this was to be the swan song and commissioned this image, but assuming they did not, what are the odds this came out to be it? "Whatever happened to the Marvel Family?" What indeed, Captain Marvel and company would not be seen again until the 1970's!!! This is from 1954

On another note, All Star Comics #57 has been dubbed the comic that symbolizes the end of the golden age to some historians, i say, this book should have that honor. I believe it was published at least two years after ASC #57, and what character at the peak of their popularity during the golden age could rival the Captain? If this was his bow out, then the golden age went with him imho. Two years later, the Siver Age Flash ushered the new era. Under rated, under valued, and htf in decent grade.. MarvelFamily89_zps3cd81e24.jpg

This book screams 'Classic'. Lets see: Last golden age (Fawcett)Captain Marvel and co., and the most ironic of covers of all time! I have never come across a documented account of whether Fawcett knew going to press this was to be the swan song and commissioned this image, but assuming they did not, what are the odds this came out to be it? "Whatever happened to the Marvel Family?" What indeed, Captain Marvel and company would not be seen again until the 1970's!!! This is from 1954

Fawcett negotiated a settlement with DC so it is certainly possible that they knew what would be their last issue and created a cover/story that matched that.

On another note, All Star Comics #57 has been dubbed the comic that symbolizes the end of the golden age to some historians, i say, this book should have that honor. I believe it was published at least two years after ASC #57, and what character at the peak of their popularity during the golden age could rival the Captain? If this was his bow out, then the golden age went with him imho. Two years later, the Siver Age Flash ushered the new era. Under rated, under valued, and htf in decent grade.. MarvelFamily89_zps3cd81e24.jpg

thanks again Gentlemen!! this is a cool book another I have yet to lay eyes on!! cool info!! :applause:

Thanks! I knew there would be at least one member who could shed some light on this.

And it's not like they did something similar with any other last issue. :whistle:

CptMvlJr_119.jpg

Thanks! I knew there would be at least one member who could shed some light on this.

And it's not like they did something similar with any other last issue. :whistle:

CptMvlJr_119.jpg

lol, good point. Also brings to mind, Captain Marvel "finally" getting married off in his own title's last issue too.

Yes,posted by comicnoir a few pages back I did not see.

If my Spellbound was not so messed up I'd post that.And adamstrange,may I please request your beautiful MaryMarvel butterfly cover?

MaryMarvel10.jpg

That's a beautiful cover !!! :golfclap:

I agree, very cool cover.

Thank you adamstrange,very much.I really love that comic since I first saw yours,and thought it deserved a spot here.

I know this is in gold,but I also think the cover to Incredible Hulk 344 is classic,modern or not....

OK, so I guess nobody has shown this yet, but I think it's a real classic cover. In fact, it's my favorite cover of all time:

dwcugk.jpg

I believe it's recognized by both Overstreet and CGC. I just won a copy and couldn't be more stoked... :whee:

Overstreet only calls it a "Sci-fi cover"

Gerber was impressed enough to single it out for inclusion on the cover of the Gerber Guide (thumbs u