• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The ROBIN corner shock pose.

187 posts in this topic

last ones Curt Swan. The older Batman and Tec Joker covers are Jerry Robinson (or Sprang)

Good call on Swan-- the bottom right hand one definitely looks like him.

I don't see any Jerry Robinson here. * Though the Tec 118 is almost certainly Sprang.

The vast majority of these are done by Sheldon Moldoff (the "Shelly" who was the original GA Hawkman artist). During this period Moldoff was Bob Kane's uncredited ghost. Kane signed the stuff, got paid by DC, and in turned farmed it out to Moldoff and (usually) inker Charles Paris. Working anonymously like that, it is no wonder Moldoff tended to phone it in... frown.gif

* edit/clarification: "here" = Red's collage; Robinson (one of my all-time favorites) did do the Tec 74 earlier in the thread. thumbsup2.gif

last ones Curt Swan. The older Batman and Tec Joker covers are Jerry Robinson (or Sprang)

Good call on Swan-- the bottom right hand one definitely looks like him.

I don't see any Jerry Robinson here. * Though the Tec 118 is almost certainly Sprang.

The vast majority of these are done by Sheldon Moldoff (the "Shelly" who was the original GA Hawkman artist). During this period Moldoff was Bob Kane's uncredited ghost. Kane signed the stuff, got paid by DC, and in turned farmed it out to Moldoff and (usually) inker Charles Paris. Working anonymously like that, it is no wonder Moldoff tended to phone it in... frown.gif

* edit/clarification: "here" = Red's collage; Robinson (one of my all-time favorites) did do the Tec 74 earlier in the thread. thumbsup2.gif

Thanks Zonker!

I thought a lot of these were Moldoff's. Is he still around?

I wonder how those stiff Covers would look with another inker than Paris? Anyone know any examples of Moldoff's other work? He wasnt doing much superhero SA stuff was he?, even though he was one of the first generation of comics creators.

Paris certainly didn't help any. frown.gif

After Julie Schwartz took over the Batman line in 1964, he kept "Bob Kane" as the penciller on the Batman comic, and alternated him with Infantino on Detective. But unlike before, Schwartz only took Moldoff's pencils from Kane and gave them to Schwartz house-inker Joe Giella (who was also inking Infantino at that time). Take a look at the interiors to a book like Detective 328 (death of Alfred) for Moldoff/Giella. It's nowhere near as slick as Infantino/Giella, but yes, much better than Moldoff/Paris.

More recent credits I found for Moldoff include being the inker over Curt Swan's pencils on the Legion of Super-Heroes in Adventure in the 340's.

According to the bio in the recent DC Rarities Archive edition, Moldoff is still active, doing advertising-based comics for places like Shoney's and regularly playing tennis (he's apparently in his mid-80s!) hail.gif

After Julie Schwartz took over the Batman line in 1964, he kept "Bob Kane" as the penciller on the Batman comic, and alternated him with Infantino on Detective. But unlike before, Schwartz only took Moldoff's pencils from Kane and gave them to Schwartz house-inker Joe Giella (who was also inking Infantino at that time). Take a look at the interiors to a book like Detective 328 (death of Alfred) for Moldoff/Giella. It's nowhere near as slick as Infantino/Giella, but yes, much better than Moldoff/Paris.

More recent credits I found for Moldoff include being the inker over Curt Swan's pencils on the Legion of Super-Heroes in Adventure in the 340's.

According to the bio in the recent DC Rarities Archive edition, Moldoff is still active, doing advertising-based comics for places like Shoney's and regularly playing tennis (he's apparently in his mid-80s!) hail.gif

nice work Zonker. I remember well the Geilla inking in Detective back then. Not much better than Paris...similar heavy clunky brushwork over Moldoff. I much preferred Geilla inking on Kane in Green Lanterm

nice work Zonker. I remember well the Geilla inking in Detective back then. Not much better than Paris...similar heavy clunky brushwork over Moldoff. I much preferred Geilla inking on Kane in Green Lanterm

as Zonker stated, Giella also did inks for Infantino including that FABULOUS Flash #123. did i ever tell anyone how much i LOVE that cover??? grin.gif

A little bumpit.gif for this thread.

And a double shock corner. blush.gifblush.gif

97220661824.139.GIF

excellent cover - never saw that one before...... thumbsup2.gif

here's a slight departure from the true "shock" corner pose, but it struck me as somewhat appropriate as i was readying this book for Sarasota.

call it a "robin off to the side by himself again" cover..............

1108717828361_Aquaman_007.jpg

What the heck is ROBIN doing back there when all the action is on the other side of that big shell.

Shouldn't Hawkman have his arm up for the SHOCK POSE.

maybe so, but i just realized that Green Lantern boycotted the wedding!!!!!!!!!

what's THAT about??? 893whatthe.gif

I updated the gallery.....the entire right hand column (4 images) is new. Will the Boy Wonder ever cease to be shocked? confused-smiley-013.gif

Actually, I think this is the ultimate shock cover. The entire cover is a reaction shot of Batman & Robin........ shocked!

35)-Detective-Comics--380.jpg