• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Page quality question about TOS 39 I'm looking to buy

27 posts in this topic

Not to muddy the waters here but I've seen books (and I know of many others who have as well) with "light tan to off white" pages be re-subbed and come back as differently as "off white" pages. So....there's that to consider.

-J.

I think the TOS 39 I was looking at wouldn't have a chance coming back "off white." I was concerned it was going in the other direction, and could be a brittle cover.

Did you happen to get the notes on this copy? The cover does look like it could be brittle if bent...

Not to muddy the waters here but I've seen books (and I know of many others who have as well) with "light tan to off white" pages be re-subbed and come back as differently as "off white" pages. So....there's that to consider.

-J.

That's very true. They tend to be erratic in determining PQ. That said, LT is such a turnoff to most people that I would only buy at significant discount to GPA because counting on a PQ improvement on regrading is very iffy. A poorly stored LT book might even come back as Brittle. :o

I have found PQ to be exceptionally arbitrary. I wouldn't buy an "LT/OW" book with the idea in mind to re-sub it just to get a PQ change. That would be silly. However if the book was a pressing candidate, I would be very surprised if most books came back again with "LT/OW" pages, even more so if it was dry cleaned as well. I have also seen many rarer silver age keys sell at no discount that had "Light tan/ow" pages. I think there are 7-10 "PQ" designations between "LT/OW" to "slightly brittle", the odds of it coming back "slightly brittle" are extremely remote. There's a PQ chart out there that even posits" LT/OW" to be a better PQ than "CR/OW". And once you start talking GA, people will even buy a book with brittle pages, again, if it is a key, and at no discount to GPA. A lot of people will poo-pooh a book on PQ but let the right book come along and that all goes right out the window.

For this ToS39 there are other things that affect the eye appeal, but it is a 1.5, and you're right, the lower graded copies don't come up that much. Rest assured, if you do not buy this book, someone else will. If you are okay with the book otherwise, not buying it because of stated "LT/OW" pages, is literally making a buying decision based on one, extremely arbitrary part of the label. And everyone always says to buy the book, not the label.

-J.

-J.

I think the TOS 39 I was looking at wouldn't have a chance coming back "off white." I was concerned it was going in the other direction, and could be a brittle cover.

Did you happen to get the notes on this copy? The cover does look like it could be brittle if bent...

I didn't get the notes.

-J.

That's very true. They tend to be erratic in determining PQ. That said, LT is such a turnoff to most people that I would only buy at significant discount to GPA because counting on a PQ improvement on regrading is very iffy. A poorly stored LT book might even come back as Brittle. :o

I have found PQ to be exceptionally arbitrary. I wouldn't buy an "LT/OW" book with the idea in mind to re-sub it just to get a PQ change. That would be silly. However if the book was a pressing candidate, I would be very surprised if most books came back again with "LT/OW" pages, even more so if it was dry cleaned as well. I have also seen many rarer silver age keys sell at no discount that had "Light tan/ow" pages. I think there are 7-10 "PQ" designations between "LT/OW" to "slightly brittle", the odds of it coming back "slightly brittle" are extremely remote. There's a PQ chart out there that even posits" LT/OW" to be a better PQ than "CR/OW". And once you start talking GA, people will even buy a book with brittle pages, again, if it is a key, and at no discount to GPA. A lot of people will poo-pooh a book on PQ but let the right book come along and that all goes right out the window.

For this ToS39 there are other things that affect the eye appeal, but it is a 1.5, and you're right, the lower graded copies don't come up that much. Rest assured, if you do not buy this book, someone else will. If you are okay with the book otherwise, not buying it because of stated "LT/OW" pages, is literally making a buying decision based on one, extremely arbitrary part of the label. And everyone always says to buy the book, not the label.

-J.

I don't think it would be silly for me to resub my TOS 49 8.5 LT/OW pages hoping for a PQ bump. I will most likely press it also.

To be honest, that's a fugly looking front cover. The browning/dust shadow is huge, hit you in the face category. That book will be a tough resell if you ever upgrade. To pay over GPA would not be wise.

You have a higher level of taste :baiting:;)

I don't think buying that TOS39 is the way to go. You should hold your money, save slightly more and buy a better copy. I suggest getting one in the auction houses. eBay is overpriced... Most sellers will double the price of what they originally paid.

Thanks again guys. (thumbs u

I declined his counteroffer.

I'll wait for the right one to surface. Thanks!

Dave

Good choice. There are plenty of copies around. Cream to off white paper or better should be the goal. Unless this copy could be had cheap at less than $800, it's a good pass. I prefer copies with the second set of quotation marks (") that are so often cut off on the right edge.