• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Eclectic collections

55 posts in this topic

A question for guys like greggy and especially ghoulaid. Where do you store these impressively large collections? My wife grudgingly tolerates me using up a closet and a half for my books, I can't imagine where I'd store 100-200 boxes. Of course in southern California we tend not to have basements, so that option is out.

I probably shouldn't give the location of my cherished collection tongue.gif but there are 28 long boxes neatly stacked right by my side of the bed against the wall. crazy.gif Obviously, it's a major pain trying to look through them ... so I don't.

The "good" stuff is tucked away (stacked) in a hard to access closet and the "remainder" takes up part of a garage size Public Storage space. I like collecting bubblegum comics because all 10,000+ fit into 3 shoeboxes grin.gif

My wife tolerates it because her collection of science-fiction BOOKS take up just as much space.

I've noticed that women who like science fiction tend to be more forgiving of men who like comics.

Unfortunately, my wife hates science fiction even more than comics... foreheadslap.gif

Introduce her to scrapbooking, and problem solved. acclaim.gif

Of course, it gets replaced by an even bigger problem, so forget I said anything! boo.gif

Cool thread.

I have about 5 short boxes of various Golden Age stuff. Some DC (mainly Batman), but mainly various stuff that I find for a good price. I like Quality, Lev Gleason and Fawcett, though I don't usually pay more then $20 for any of those books. Lots of it "kiddie" books, which I find I enjoy more and more as I get older. What can I say confused-smiley-013.gif New Funnies, Animal Comics, Raggedy-Ann, Our Gang, Looney Tunes, WDCS, etc. I'll pick up anything reasonably priced that has John Stanley, Walt Kelly or Carl Barks work in it. (I am thinking about adding Sheldon Mayer to that list as well) Most of these are downstairs, though I usually rotate one box up to my side of the bed for night time reading material. grin.gif Can take me about 6 to 9 months to go through a box.

4 short boxes of just my Little Lulu and Tubby collection. The first two boxes (the FC stuff and the earlier issues) I keep up stairs because I like to go through them so much.

The rest is all downstairs.

3 long boxes downstairs of unsorted Dell / Gold Key / Harvey / Archie / etc stuff from various collections that I have bought but haven't gone through yet. Or picked up cheap at cons, auctions, etc.

About 10 long boxes of Alternative / Indy / B& W / Self-Published stuff. I really liked a lot of the cooler stuff put out during the B & W boom / bust. Pretty large runs of Eclipse. Pacific, Comico, Yummy Fur, Ultra Klutz, etc. Lots of odd ball stuff probably no one else likes but is hard to find (anyone have issue #3 of Night Streets by Arrow Comics?)

3 long boxes of Gladstone / Gemstone. Near complete until this year when I gave up because so much of the reprint stuff they were doing was garbage and way over priced. Now I just buy Rosa stuff.

5 long boxes of DC, about 2/3 of it Verigo titles. Sandman, Swamp Thing, Hellblazer, Starman. Mainly 80s and up.

3 boxes of Marvel. Mainly my stuff I bought as a kid in the early 80s.

2 Mag boxes of Comic Journals and other comic related stuff.

Probably about 1000 various mini-comics.

About a bookshelf full on various TPBs, Hardcovers and DC Archives.

My wife and I also collect many other things. Cartoon character glasses is the big one. Many many many of these - very cool collectible. Old games, some action figures, old viewmaster reels, Holt Howard pixieware, etc. Way too much stuff in our house 27_laughing.gif

Good Lord (choke)!That is a serious mini-comic collection.

Nice that you've gotten your wife to go along with collecting - mine just doesn't understand the collecting mentality. She might appreciate a given pop-culture artifact, but can't figure out why someone would want a bunch of the same thing. The closest she came was a number of years ago when we picked up several old terrestrial globes, including a few illuminated ones, ranging from the 1890s to the 1960s. but once we had about a dozen displayed around the house, she said that was enough. Beyond the aesthetics, what I liked about them is figuring out what era a given globe represented, in regards to country names and borders. They are rarely dated, but with a general interest in history and the help of a historical atlas, I could usually narrow it down to a 2 or 3 year range.

I was heavily into small press for many many years. A buddy of mine put out almost 200 different books in about a ten year period. High School Comics. Most of my stuff is from about 83 - 93 when I stopped publishing.

Getting my wife into collecting things wasn't too hard. Took her to a few auctions and she was hooked. But she still doesn't buy me comics. She did once, many years ago, for a present, and I complained to her because it was a Whitman and not in that good of condition. Stupid stupid stupid. 893naughty-thumb.gif

Good Lord (choke)!That is a serious mini-comic collection.

Nice that you've gotten your wife to go along with collecting - mine just doesn't understand the collecting mentality. She might appreciate a given pop-culture artifact, but can't figure out why someone would want a bunch of the same thing. The closest she came was a number of years ago when we picked up several old terrestrial globes, including a few illuminated ones, ranging from the 1890s to the 1960s. but once we had about a dozen displayed around the house, she said that was enough. Beyond the aesthetics, what I liked about them is figuring out what era a given globe represented, in regards to country names and borders. They are rarely dated, but with a general interest in history and the help of a historical atlas, I could usually narrow it down to a 2 or 3 year range.

I have about 350 CGC graded from the golden to modern ages.

140 golden and atom age comic books consisting of about 40 Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, etc. books, 8 Timely's, and about 90 good girl art issues in 4.0 to 8.5 grades.

80 silver age books mostly consisting of key Amazing Spider-Man, X-Men, Daredevil, Iron Man, etc. marvel books in 5.0 to 9.4 grades.

60 bronze marvels from 8.0 to 9.4 grades.

70 modern marvels from 9.0 to 9.8 grades.

I own about 3000 raw Marvel, D.C., Image makepoint.gif, Malibu foreheadslap.gif, Defiant tonofbricks.gif books in VF to NM conition.

Finally, I own about 100 books with variant nude covers smirk.gif (which I can't list on this site). sumo.gif

15 magazine boxes of Golden Age superhero. Every DC Pre-Hero except Detective 1, 3 and 5.

10-15 long boxes of Silver and Bronze Age superhero.

Some modern stuff by Alex Ross

Complete run of Comic Book Marketplace

2 short boxes of fanzines from 1961 to 1970

4 moving boxes full of magazines, trade paperbacks, etc.

Overstreets from 4 up.

Run of The Buyer's Guide/Comics Buyer's Guide from 1971 to 1995

Several boxes of digests

My wife has no interest in comics, but she knows how important they are to me, and she's very cool about it. These pics were originally posted about a year ago in the "show us your stash" thread, but I'm sure many of you missed that one.

The majority of my collection is from DC & Marvel. I started buying superhero books in 1975.

I have about 200 slabs, Gold, Silver, and Bronze. No Moderns yet. The Golden Age are Actions, Superman, and about twenty Nedor Schomburg war covers. The Silver and Bronze are a little bit of everything...cool covers from many titles.

stash1.jpg

stash2.jpg

stash3.jpg

stash4.jpg

That's a really good looking collection old boy.

My collection could be described as "deliberately minimalist".

I have just TWO long boxes (by choice) -

1. Miracleman and associated appearances, merchandise etc - very near complete run. Plus Charlton rarities like Nature Boy and All-Stars.

2. 80% complete run of Comic Book Marketplace - love this magazine! (Anyone know a full list of variants?)

I have just four slabs -

Space Adventures 13 - 9.4

Miracleman 15 - 9.6

Nature Boy 5 - 9.0

Flash 123 - 5.5

I've sold everything else!

You are a lucky man. And I am not talking about the comics. My lady would have a conniption if I had that many comics. As a side note: I found out earlier this week that she blames my brother for my return to comics. That was an interesting revelation.

Nice setup by the way.

Like Ewan I have a very small collection. It is predominately bronze age with the focus on Conan and MOKF. I have been eyeballing the Flash across all Ages but I am going to hold off on that quest until I knock out a few other runs such as Aces High and the Wolfman/Perez Titans.

R-

WOW! I can't believe how organized you are. I'm quite impressed.

Here is a picture of my 14,000 eclectic books. Comics from the 40's

to last month with no rhyme or reason to my collection. I just love

comics and buy whatever I like.

collection.jpg

peanuts.jpg

WOW! I can't believe how organized you are. I'm quite impressed.

Here is a picture of my 14,000 eclectic books. Comics from the 40's

to last month with no rhyme or reason to my collection. I just love

comics and buy whatever I like.

collection.jpg

What do you do when you're looking for one particular comic?

Run of The Buyer's Guide/Comics Buyer's Guide from 1971 to 1995

Then somewhere in there must be the rumored "Wall of Comics" Fantazia ad featuring pre-pen Danny Dupcak, aka Richard Koos, aka hammer, aka (many other pen names and shills).

Does anyone know the issue/year the infamous picture was allegedly taken??

I have, in my personal collection:

Shock SuspenStories 1-18

Crime SuspenStories 1-27

Haunt of Fear 15 (1)-28

Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers 1-5, all first prints (btw, looking for ANY Freak Brothers appearances pre-FFFB 1)

most of the Tales from the Crypt/Crypt of Terror run (focus man! focus!)

Complete set of 30 cent variants

Lots of 9.6/9.8 Bronze Age FF slabs (although not as many as last week grin.gif)

Many Fiction House bondage covers (Jumbo! Jungle! Fight! Planet!)

Many Fox bondage covers (Zoot!)

Complete set of DC "Bicentennial" covers

Several printing error variants, including the infamous Identity Crisis 4 with poster (read this eBay discussion board thread for some fun reading), several double covers, a triple cover, a bunch of misprinted books (siamese pages, stapled upside down, that sort of thing).

Maybe 15 pages of original art, including some Perez stuff, three Russell Sandman 50 pages (including my new favorite, the "egg" page!)

Two pieces of early Disney art, a Carl Barks sketch from 1945 of Donald Duck (heh heh heh) and a production cell drawing from 1932's "Touchdown Mickey" showing Mickey running away.

Several large animation posters, including a 1943 Mighty Mouse variant without a theater listed and the 1950 Pluto short "Pests of the West"

A few random other cool things (Hansi, FOOM, Amazing World of DC Comics, a bunch of RBCCs)

I do have a few other books in my house.... probably 100 long boxes of stuff for sale.