• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Eclectic collections

55 posts in this topic

I like it when I read posts from collectors who have varied tastes when it comes to genres, eras, etc.

Let us know what is in your collections. Without getting too specific here's what is in mine.

Close to a 100 1940s GA - Mostly Superhero, no particular publisher represented by more than maybe 15 books

Another 150 Atom Age books - mostly pre-code crime & horror, but includes war, romance & a-bomb covers, etc.

90+ Little Lulu & Tubby books (mostly Dell)

Roughly 200 SA books - inc. 80 Lee/Kirby FFs - the balance misc. Marvel & DC

About 100 Bronze Age - mostly Weird Western/Jonah Hex

Roughly 500 1968-1980 Undergrounds + misc. related pre-underground publications

4 or 5,000 1980-current books - About half of which are independent/alternative/underground type books, the most of the rest being DC/Vertigo books.

A fair amount of reprint material - Disney, Spirit, ECs, Tracy, Wolveton, as well as translations from European comics.

The last few catagories inc. everything from Tabloids to magazines to hardbacks to mini-comics.

A handful of Tijuana Bibles with Superhero parodies

Maybe 30 Weird menace pulps

A few hundred comics related publications like The Comics Journal & Comic Book Marketplace

and probably a few odds & ends that don't fit into any of the other catagories.

About 1000 silver, bronze, and modern readers. 40 to 50 low-grade raw gold books. Maybe 100 raw bronze books in high grade.

about 60 tpbs

roughly 100 slabs in varying grades, with an approximate breakdown:

40% precode horror

20% WWII and anti-communist covers

10% post-code horror and sci-fi

30% bronze horror

twenty or thirty pulps, mostly crime....many of them being "black dahlia" themed items

Am also just getting started on a run of Spectre x-overs from all eras.

I think that's about it..

Oh, yeah, and a shrunken head. grin.gif

about 2800 bronze horrors including Skywalds/Warrens

about 200 other bronze DC, mostly Adams & jonah hex/ weird western

about 35 Silver DC/Marvel/Herbies

about 100 bronze marvels, mostly ASM & X-men

about 300 misc indys like Flaming Carrot, eightball, Cereal killings, yummy fur etc.

about 50 pre code horrors

about 40 pre code disneys (you know they had many more eye injuries before the code...)

about 30 misc 40/50's oddball books

about 50 Disney gladstones

about 10 trades

What I own includes the following:

Fiction House comics like Jungle and Jumbo (not enough Planets!)

High grade Excitings featuring Judy of the Jungle covers airbrushed by Alex Schomburg.

A run of Frontline Combats (including a Kurtzman file copy smile.gif)

A few copies of Black Cat comics (She's Hollywood's Glamorous Detective Star!) No, not the horror stuff. The superhero stuff. Crazy.

Some high grade Silver Age Marvels.Lots of Daredevils. Many of my Daredevils are CGC graded and that run includes as many pedigrees as I can get my hands on.

Some high grade Silver Age DCs. Lots of Green Lanterns.

High grade bronze DCs. The Horror books, Batman, Green Lantern, Swamp Thing, etc. I mostly follow Adams, Wrightson, etc.

Marvel Price Variants. A few dozens 30 centers and my hard fought set of Daredevil 146-148 35 Centers.

Plus more readers than I can even being to keep track of- US trades galore, an almost full set of Spirit Archives, a pretty complete Will Eisner library, a shelf full of Manga digests, a rapidly growing Humanoids bookshelf, a pretty deep Vaughn Bode library, etc.

A pretty good set of auction catalogues from Heritage, Sotheby's, Chirsties, etc.

A decent set of Overstreets (5-up)

A dozen or so pages of original art (Wrightson, Cassaday, JRJR, Hitch, Darrick Robertson, Pia Guerra, etc), + many signed prints (BWS, Wrightson, Will Eisner, Moebius, Dave Sim) and promotional posters

A handful of mini busts.

Two action figures (Bruce Lee and Jenny Sparks.)

My CGC books come in purple, yellow (Chaykin American Flagg #1 and Warren Ellis Global Frequency #1) and blue. The earliest is from the 40s, the latest is a MT 9.9 Daredevil #62.

About 1500 Harvey File Copies (mostly 50s-60s)

About 175 slabs (125 golden-age, 50 Silver-age)

Circa 100 other golden-age books – no specific genre

Several hundred Dell or Gold Key File copies from the 50s-60s

Several thousand VF-NM superhero or funny animal books from the 60s-70s

(DC and Marvel)

Ten Harvey original cover art pieces of Joe Palooka, Blondie or Tracy

grin.gif

Every DC and Marvel (superhero, science fiction and horror or "mystery" books) from 1957 - 1985 ( except JIM #83 Argh!). Several hundred each of Charltons, Gold Key, Dell, ACG, Harvey etc from the same time period.

100's of Golden Age (mostly Superhero) but plenty of Funny Animals too.

150+ EC's.

Lots of "Giveaway" comics and especially like the General Electric series (1950s)

Couple dozen pages of original art (Jeff Jones, Neal Adams, Craig Russell, Ralph Reese etc)

TBG from #3 up to #1,000 (til I started throwing them away)

500 or so Underground comics from 1967 - 1975

Hundreds of comic related Fanzines from that same time period

AND, 10,000 + Bazooka Joe and other gum comics (Archie, Fleer with "Pud", Tommy Swell etc). hail.gif

Maybe later I'll try to guesstimate the quantities and condition ranges, but for now, just an outline of the scope of the hoard:

Zonker's Cool Comics 2 Read--

Golden Age: 4 short boxes of DC/All-American, Fawcett, Quality.

(Nothing against Timelys, just too expensive for the relative enjoyment of owning them confused-smiley-013.gif)

Atom Age: reader-condition EC comics, 1 or 2 representative samples of each title; most of the later-numbered four color MADs, a dozen or so of the SF issues. (Plus all the SF/War/Suspenstories New Trend color reprints by Cochrane) thumbsup2.gif

Early Silver Age: all Kirby/Wood Challengers, a couple of Kubert Viking Prince Brave & Bolds, 1 each of 1950s Mystery in Space, Strange Adventures, Tales of the Unexpected, House of Secrets/Mystery, My Greatest Adventure.

Silver Age DC: All the keys after say 1961, with runs of Showcase starting with #25, Green Lantern starting with #1, JLA starting with #17, Doom Patrol starting with MGA #80. "Just the good stuff" for Teen Titans, Flash, Batman/Detective, Aquaman, Wonder Woman, Adventure/Legion. All of Adams' Deadman, Spectre, Brave & Bold. cloud9.gif

Late Silver Age Marvel: Steranko Nick Fury. Late Kirby FF (Masterworks reprints for the rest).

Early Bronze Age DC: Here I go nuts insane.gif, trying for all of what I consider the good stuff: House of Mystery/Secrets in the 1968-1973 period. Kirby 4th World. Adams covers & interiors. Swamp Thing. Detective 395-450. Batman 219-265. Cockrum Legion. Superman 233-270. Action 419-431. (the early Swan/Anderson runs). Jim Aparo's work on Phantom Stanger, Adventure Comics, Aquaman, Brave & Bold. Numerous short-run titles ("accidental mini-series"): Hot Wheels, Sword of Sorcery, Weird Worlds, The Shadow.

Late Bronze Age & 1980s: Marshall Rogers Detective Comics. Levitz/Giffen Legion. Mike Grell's Warlord. New Teen Titans (pre-Baxter). Saga of the Swamp Thing (Moore & pre-Moore). Daredevil 168-191. Pacific Comics. American Flagg! All the Nexus issues drawn by Steve Rude. Superman titles right after Byrne left and Ordway & Jurgens were running the show. Plus all the usual suspects: Watchmen, Dark Knight Returns, Batman Yr 1, Daredevil Born Again, Morrison's Animal Man & Doom Patrol.

Recent: Gaiman's Sandman. James Robinson's Starman. Marvels and Kingdom Come. Morrison's JLA. The Ultimates. Alan Moore's Supreme and almost all his ABC stuff. Kurt Busiek's Astro City. Superman/Batman series.

And a few series that are TPB or Masterworks reprints only: Spidey by Ditko & Romita, Barry Smith's Conan, Dark Phoenix Saga, The Authority by Ellis, 100 Bullets. 893blahblah.gif

Don't know the exact numbers but here's an estimate:

50 short boxes of mostly DC bronze.

6 magazine boxes of "better" DCs.

5 magazine boxes of DC 100 pagers.

25 short boxes of Marvels and other publishers.

4 magazine boxes of "better" Marvels and other publishers.

3 short boxes of sealed multi-pack comics (various publishers).

3 short boxes of mostly DC digests.

Around 200 comic related paperbacks.

Around 200 DC and Marvel treasuries.

9 magazine boxes of magazines and fanzines including a complete run of the Comic Book Marketplace, Amazing World of DC, and FOOM.

1 magazine box of "to be CGC'd" comics.

6 CGC boxes of comics with 4 of them for 100 pagers.

Various miscellaneous items including all the EC portfolio.

All the Overstreet price guides.

And...much, much, more! screwy.gif

High grade BA-MA comics (approx 2500), original art, lots of reading material (Essentials/Masterworks, CBAs, Overstreets, auction catalogs, etc).

popcorn.gif

I forgot to mention my collection of CFA/APA issues. I have a few of the later ones (#47,#52, etc) including the last issue #60 which I got from the editor Roger Hill. Anybody else own any? They're a great read about comic art collecting.

A question for guys like greggy and especially ghoulaid. Where do you store these impressively large collections? My wife grudgingly tolerates me using up a closet and a half for my books, I can't imagine where I'd store 100-200 boxes. Of course in southern California we tend not to have basements, so that option is out.

Every DC and Marvel (superhero, science fiction and horror or "mystery" books) from 1957 - 1985 ( except JIM #83 Argh!).

hail.gif

yeh - me too hail.gif

this is almost IANlike in scope!!!! i read this to mean every single issue of all DC/Marvels Superheroes/Sci-Fi/Horror/Mystery for the 19 years in question except for one book?!?!? 893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif

hey, i got a very nice JIM #83 that i can let you have for around 10X's guide...... grin.gif

Let's see...

My main current collecting interest is Archies of which I have a nearly complete run 1941-1971 (missing around 200 of the 2000+ issues which make up that period). I also have lots of Archie art (mostly 1950s-1960s vintage) and various miscellaneous Archie items.

I have a nearly complete run of Baby Huey insane.gif starting with his introduction in Casper #1 and continuing through the SA series. And my set of Mr. Ed and Francis the Talking Mule insane.gifinsane.gif

I have mostly complete runs of the Barks Duck one-shots and Uncle Scrooge. Also Pogo FC 105 up and most Nancy and Sluggo books. Oh, and Bobpfef will kill me if I don't mention Little Lulu! And Dell Peanuts, can't forget those...

I have several issues of Capt. Marvel Adventures, about 40 issues of Air Fighters/Airboy, some Schomburg WWII covers and a few GGA issues. I have sold most of the rest of my GA books to fuel my Archie quest

Moving on to SA, I have a set of early Supergirl covers (Action 252-up), a smattering of Avengers (I saved my favorite issues when I sold my SA collection so I have #1, 32 and 33, 57-59, and the Adams/Smith issues) and a few DC semi-keys from B&B and Showcase.

For BA, I have a set of Barry Smith Conan, some Charlton and DC Horror (Thanks Shiverbones thumbsup2.gif), and a few of the more outstanding covers from Eerie Publications' output. Oh and I have about 4 long boxes of miscellaneous BA stuff I don't collect any more.

The only books I have that are newer than that are 10 long boxes of mostly indies and a few Vertigo titles. Things like the Gladstone Duck titles, Cerebus, Bone, Sandman, Hellblazer, Flaming Carrot, Mr. X, etc, etc, etc...

Finally, I have a mess of Graphic Novels and approximately 30 original comic strips.

And more arrives at the door on a regular basis... laugh.gif

My Doctor Strange collection:

http://www.howardhallis.com/drstrange

My rare tiki mug and bowl collection (housed in our private tiki bar "The Crown Tiki"): http://www.crowntiki.com

I also collect "mash-up" mixes from DJs around the world. I have around 300 of them. If you don't know what mash-ups are, check out folks like Go Home Productions at http://www.gohomeproductions.co.uk/

Other stuff I've accumulated:

*A nice collection of hundreds of goth, new wave and punk videos.

*The full run of the hardcover trade first printings of Neil Gaiman's Sandman

*Some rare movie posters, including one sheets for Revenge of the Jedi, Beyond The Valley Of The Dolls, and the double sided Spidey teaser with the WTC in his eye.

Tiki mugs, neat!

I've also got an all-too large collection of halloween/haunted house props. My dream job is to someday operate a year-round house of horrors. I've made a regular practice at hitting up haunted houses for their gear after halloween is over. You'd be surprised how many are willing to sell at cheap prices as opposed to storing [#@$%!!!] all year long (that becomes my job, har har). I've got all kinds of stand-up displays, large wall-hangs, masks, foam latex appliances, taxidermied fruit bats, motion sensors, full-bodies corpses, body parts, a few semi-simplistic animatronics. I've even got a big ole Jacob's ladder that a guy who works on B-flicks made for me special (think Frankenstein's lab if you're not sure what a Jacob's ladder is). There's a perennial seven-foot ghoul in my living room, as I've got nowhere else to put him. He's standing up right next to the Christmas tree with a Santa hat on....I don't know why my wife married me. foreheadslap.gif

Also slowly but surely building a collection of authentic carnie/sideshow gear. Most of the good stuff is too amazingly expensive though.... frown.gif

I throw a killer halloween party every year. thumbsup2.gif